• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason you would want a model made in polished cobbler? Corrected grain is not...good.
There are reasons to have some PC pairs. For one, it's does well in bad weather. But even aside from that not all PC is awful. I'd briefly had a pair of McHales that were corrected grain and the leather was actually pretty great. Maybe better than modern day calf from AE, etc. Not the case for most PC, that's true... but there are some exceptions and that pair of loafers looks to be pretty good.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, just to be clear... pass for shell, and actually being shell, are way different. If shell is what you want, definitely put on some nice shoes and wait. For one thing, PC has a limited life-span, no matter how good it is, eventually the finish has to be stripped to save what’s underneath (at which point, they stop being PC, and starting being something “other”). Well maintained shell, on the other hand, will last nearly for ever.
'preciate that advice. I think patience is in order in this case. thanks, brother.

pasadena man

Reaction score
What Prada did to Church’s is a freakin crime (no spoiler, because everyone should bear witness to Prada’s grievous misdeeds):

Be glad that Canada need not shoulder any part of this ignominy, as the Dacks label doesn’t appear on these absurdly vulgar horrors.
Agree with you on the negative impact of Prada on the brand’s previously noble identity. That said, my understanding is that the quality and design of many of their higher end/”Custom Grade” traditional dress shoes is still quite high; they are just a much smaller percentage of the brand’s sales now. My two favorite pairs of dress shoes are Florsheim 93605’s, and Church’s LWB on the legendary 73 last. Both manufactured in the early 80’s, and both perfection in their respective niches.

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sam67

Reaction score
So, on these French Shriners, I can just make out AAAA. That would make the forefoot AA, correct? I like that medial spade action. Thanks in advance.
46E082D7-3CFA-4F6F-8C25-AF2C68AC47A7.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe @vestbash is the seller. If I'm wrong, I apologize. If anyone is a 10D, jump on these.

I've yet to handle a pair of Canadian made 92604. They look like tanks:

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are reasons to have some PC pairs. For one, it's does well in bad weather. But even aside from that not all PC is awful. I'd briefly had a pair of McHales that were corrected grain and the leather was actually pretty great. Maybe better than modern day calf from AE, etc. Not the case for most PC, that's true... but there are some exceptions and that pair of loafers looks to be pretty good.
Tru'nuff. Everyone should have at least a couple of pair for rainy day reasons.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tru'nuff. Everyone should have at least a couple of pair for rainy day reasons.
I don't have any. Well, correction: I have a pair of PC Polos that I spilled acetone on while stripping the PC coating from a pair of Danbury.

What a wicked web we weave.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with you on the negative impact of Prada on the brand’s previously noble identity. That said, my understanding is that the quality and design of many of their higher end/”Custom Grade” traditional dress shoes is still quite high; they are just a much smaller percentage of the brand’s sales now. My two favorite pairs of dress shoes are Florsheim 93605’s, and Church’s LWB on the legendary 73 last. Both manufactured in the early 80’s, and both perfection in their respective niches.
Well, I know from a teardown perspective, they don't differ much from a current-era AE or Alden: leatherboard heel stack, 270 GYW construction, glued gemming for the rib, leather insole. They're not even remotely worth the money, given you can have better constructed Alden shell for the price of their Polished Binder (aka Polished Cobbler) stuff. For 900 to a 1000+ bucks, at least give me a leather heel stack. I'm not asking for hand fashioned holdfasts and hand welting, but I do expect something better than a leatherboard heel stack for something that costs over a 1000 freaking dollars.

IMHO, you want an English shoe, but don't want to get ripped off, I'd pick C&J every time over Church's (or EG's ready made line, for that matter).

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Sneakers with tailoring: yes, no, maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.