• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Is there a reason you would want a model made in polished cobbler? Corrected grain is not...good.

There are reasons to have some PC pairs. For one, it's does well in bad weather. But even aside from that not all PC is awful. I'd briefly had a pair of McHales that were corrected grain and the leather was actually pretty great. Maybe better than modern day calf from AE, etc. Not the case for most PC, that's true... but there are some exceptions and that pair of loafers looks to be pretty good.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, just to be clear... pass for shell, and actually being shell, are way different. If shell is what you want, definitely put on some nice shoes and wait. For one thing, PC has a limited life-span, no matter how good it is, eventually the finish has to be stripped to save what’s underneath (at which point, they stop being PC, and starting being something “other”). Well maintained shell, on the other hand, will last nearly for ever.
'preciate that advice. I think patience is in order in this case. thanks, brother.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Queen disagrees. MI6 agents are on their way to speak to you.

That's cool, I'm fully prepared for that discussion.
4uVaLlB.jpg

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What Prada did to Church’s is a freakin crime (no spoiler, because everyone should bear witness to Prada’s grievous misdeeds):

0lTdpJz.jpg

ZsXo7Pi.jpg

qg95nqw.jpg

NXhpNA3.jpg

Be glad that Canada need not shoulder any part of this ignominy, as the Dacks label doesn’t appear on these absurdly vulgar horrors.
Agree with you on the negative impact of Prada on the brand’s previously noble identity. That said, my understanding is that the quality and design of many of their higher end/”Custom Grade” traditional dress shoes is still quite high; they are just a much smaller percentage of the brand’s sales now. My two favorite pairs of dress shoes are Florsheim 93605’s, and Church’s LWB on the legendary 73 last. Both manufactured in the early 80’s, and both perfection in their respective niches.

Leiker

Reaction score

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
These are realy cool:

Agree! Paging @Quantum17

I'd looked at those earlier. I'm not sure how to confirm the size but anyone interested should scrutinize the heel counters. I thought one of them might be a little sketchy but hard to tell for sure.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, on these French Shriners, I can just make out AAAA. That would make the forefoot AA, correct? I like that medial spade action. Thanks in advance.
46E082D7-3CFA-4F6F-8C25-AF2C68AC47A7.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe @vestbash is the seller. If I'm wrong, I apologize. If anyone is a 10D, jump on these.

I've yet to handle a pair of Canadian made 92604. They look like tanks:

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are reasons to have some PC pairs. For one, it's does well in bad weather. But even aside from that not all PC is awful. I'd briefly had a pair of McHales that were corrected grain and the leather was actually pretty great. Maybe better than modern day calf from AE, etc. Not the case for most PC, that's true... but there are some exceptions and that pair of loafers looks to be pretty good.
Tru'nuff. Everyone should have at least a couple of pair for rainy day reasons.

Nealjpage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tru'nuff. Everyone should have at least a couple of pair for rainy day reasons.
I don't have any. Well, correction: I have a pair of PC Polos that I spilled acetone on while stripping the PC coating from a pair of Danbury.

What a wicked web we weave.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with you on the negative impact of Prada on the brand’s previously noble identity. That said, my understanding is that the quality and design of many of their higher end/”Custom Grade” traditional dress shoes is still quite high; they are just a much smaller percentage of the brand’s sales now. My two favorite pairs of dress shoes are Florsheim 93605’s, and Church’s LWB on the legendary 73 last. Both manufactured in the early 80’s, and both perfection in their respective niches.
Well, I know from a teardown perspective, they don't differ much from a current-era AE or Alden: leatherboard heel stack, 270 GYW construction, glued gemming for the rib, leather insole. They're not even remotely worth the money, given you can have better constructed Alden shell for the price of their Polished Binder (aka Polished Cobbler) stuff. For 900 to a 1000+ bucks, at least give me a leather heel stack. I'm not asking for hand fashioned holdfasts and hand welting, but I do expect something better than a leatherboard heel stack for something that costs over a 1000 freaking dollars.

IMHO, you want an English shoe, but don't want to get ripped off, I'd pick C&J every time over Church's (or EG's ready made line, for that matter).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads