• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

1950s ad for the City Club brand of shoes, made in the USA. Apparently Ms. Monroe was a big fan. Cap toe oxford with 360 degree Goodyear welt, and contrasting double welt stitching for 270 degrees. City Club shoes still appear occasionally on Ebay.
' Spectacular 50s colour and the double stitching technique as well.

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Came across these NOS v cleat bostonians and thought somebody here may be interested. Seller's got a few other cool vtg shoes as well including a sick florsheim black patent loafers

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRISTINE-NOS-VTG-BOSTONIAN-WINGTIP-SIZE-10-D/302148412989

Those are great LWBs and the $199 is a really fair price for NOS. As a comparison, these Florsheim NOS wingtips are on auction that ends in a few hours. They now have 29 bids and are at $300. See them here.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I mentioned UV shoe sterilizer for cleaning and deodorizing. There are many brands at different price points, and I thought I would show the "Sterishoe" version I picked up and how it works. The inserts are similar to shoe trees and the UV bulbs are in the front of the "tree." Two shoe bags are included that are used as part of the treatment process. Instructions are printed on each bag. A single plug transformer is used to power both units simultaneously by plugging in at the rear of the handle.

The units are placed in both shoes and the length of the unit contracts like a shoe tree. This contraction is actually needed to activate the bulb. It will not turn on when not compressed and placed in the shoes.

The bags are placed on each shoe and close with a draw string at the bottom of the bag. There is a slot that is used for the handle. The power switch is a small button at the front of each handle.

The power buttons emit a blue glow to show they have been turned on. They are self times and will turn off automatically when finished.

Pros:
  • It’s a convenient way of killing bacteria and other pathogens that cause Athlete’s foot, toe nail fungus, and foot odor. You just turn it on and insert it in the shoe, it turns itself off after 45 minutes.
  • Sterishoe is clinically proven to eliminate up to 99.9% of the odor-causing bacteria, fungus and viruses residing in shoes
  • Apart from ease of use it seems that rotating shoes isn’t effective because fungus spores remain dormant in your shoes. When you wear them again they are being revived by moisture and heat. The sanitizing 3W UV light kills off the bacteria instead of rendering them inactive.
Cons:

It does not work on high heeled shoes and boots

Cost: The newer model of Sterishoe is now $149 new on Amazon. I found mine used on Ebay for $29.

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

[*] Apart from ease of use it seems that rotating shoes isn’t effective because fungus spores remain dormant in your shoes. When you wear them again they are being revived by moisture and heat. The sanitizing 3W UV light kills off the bacteria instead of rendering them inactive.

What I've said all along.

I like the UV solution--it may be the only one that I would put any trust in.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In my journey around the interwebs I have found some interesting exotic leathers in some of the older Florsheims and I thought they would look good here. The first two are kudu antelope, in brown and black. The brown one belongs to our own @peppercorn78 who snapped it up after I found it for him. (See, it pays to be nice to me...but only if I think they will not fit.) The black are 8.5E and are here. By the way, I include links to things because I hate it when others tell me something is there but make me go hunt it down.

These 9.0 D loafers are currently on Ebay (not mine) are an example of some nice alligator from back in the day.

Finally, this pair of blucher strap shoes in 10D present more of a mystery as the owner on Ebay simply called them an exotic leather. True enough, but I I really have no idea what they are. Against the background they are almost vanish. The buckle strap closure is also quite unusual. Any thoughts on the leather used?

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrifted this pair of Stetson shoes today, thought you gentleman would enjoy.

Nice, thick leather. My first experience with this brand. Seems to be nice quality, will need a little work but considering they closed shop in 1973, condition is great. Any info you have on Stetson is appreciated. I have been online since I found them.

florent

Reaction score
There are many brands at different price points, and I thought I would show the "Sterishoe" version I picked up and how it works.

Thanks for the explanation, any idea what's the purpose of the bags?

Finally, this pair of blucher strap shoes in 10D present more of a mystery as the owner on Ebay simply called them an exotic leather. True enough, but I I really have no idea what they are. Against the background they are almost vanish. The buckle strap closure is also quite unusual. Any thoughts on the leather used?

Maybe Sea bass ? They somehow look a bit like this watch strap : http://www.abpparis.fr/Loup-de-Mer-Bar_a52.html

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Maybe Sea bass
? They somehow look a bit like this watch strap : http://www.abpparis.fr/Loup-de-Mer-Bar_a52.html

No...you have to look at the texture of the leather not just the markings...which can be a dye job" and not a natural colouration.

IMO (and I could be wrong--nothing definitive can be inferred from a photo), this is some kind of reptile...maybe sea turtle. Or a print.

--

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
My theory is that it shuts out all other light sources and allows the UV bulb to work without competing with other sources. I have noticed that bags are included with all three different models I have seen that were made by this same company. But hell, it could all be packaging and marketing.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thrifted this pair of Stetson shoes today, thought you gentleman would enjoy.

Nice, thick leather. My first experience with this brand. Seems to be nice quality, will need a little work but considering they closed shop in 1973, condition is great. Any info you have on Stetson is appreciated. I have been online since I found them.

Stetson was one of the original shoe manufacturers in the USA which operated in Weymouth MA from 1885 until 1973. in MA. Tragically RIP and its factory is now a museum.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...=zthFWP_dIMqd8QX6y63oAw#imgrc=7A0cIglOMovK6M:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My odd little feet are always looking for a better fit from shoes and while the brown 96302 long wings I showed the other day are great, my Florsheim black long wing 92604 seemed snug and the lace gap seems a bit wider than I would like. So from an 11 EEE, I jumped at a pair in 11.5 EEE to see what differences I could find fit wise. My 92604 is a Florsheim Royal Imperial was made in the late 1960s. Although the shoe is the same, Florsheim dropped the Royal designation in the mid 1990s and my new pair are Florsheim Imperials, style number 96624. There are no external differences that could be detected, but the inside logo has changed and stamp now says Made in USA. These were some of the very last Imperial shoes made in the USA before they shut down the plant and moved them out of the country to their long decline. The sole measurements are identical in the two shoes, but the 11.5 has a bit more room and the lace gap closes much better. As can be seen from the sole, they have seen very little wear and will out last me. Outside of a NOS pair, I do not believe I could find a cleaner pair. This pair just past their 20th birthday as they were made in September 1996.

matwa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My odd little feet are always looking for a better fit from shoes and while the brown 96302 long wings I showed the other day are great, my Florsheim black long wing 92604 seemed snug and the lace gap seems a bit wider than I would like. So from an 11 EEE, I jumped at a pair in 11.5 EEE to see what differences I could find fit wise. My 92604 is a Florsheim Royal Imperial was made in the late 1960s. Although the shoe is the same, Florsheim dropped the Royal designation in the mid 1990s and my new pair are Florsheim Imperials, style number 96624. There are no external differences that could be detected, but the inside logo has changed and stamp now says Made in USA. These were some of the very last Imperial shoes made in the USA before they shut down the plant and moved them out of the country to their long decline. The sole measurements are identical in the two shoes, but the 11.5 has a bit more room and the lace gap closes much better. As can be seen from the sole, they have seen very little wear and will out last me. Outside of a NOS pair, I do not believe I could find a cleaner pair. This pair just past their 20th birthday as they were made in September 1996.

What is the style of the heel in a shoe of that late date?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What is the style of the heel in a shoe of that late date?

It was a v cleat heel with, like the sole, with almost no wear. I guess they dropped the v cleat when they went off shore.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coffee_and_vodka