• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My appreciation for vintage and shell led me to find this pair of Florsheim Imperial plain toe bluchers (PTB) in black shell on Ebay. I normally wear an 11 to 11.5 EEE and I thought this pair of 12 EEE were worth a shot because the sole measurements in length and width are the same as my 11 and 11.5 Florsheims. It appears that they use the same sole and just increase the size of the last. Black shell PTB are not common on Ebay and Florsheim made them with several style numbers. The first is the 92621 that was made from 1964 to the 1980s. The second is the 92650 black PTB and it is equally uncommon. The original heel has been replaced as it is not known if these were always a rubber sole or a V cleat when they were made. Given their generation, I would think they were originally a V cleat.

The pair I found are certainly black shell Florsheim Imperials, but their style numbering does not match either of the expected styles. Dave at Vcleat.com believes Florsheim stopped making the black PTB in the late 1980s, but you could still custom order a pair. We theorize this was such a pair. Although they were a little large, I inserted some Allen Edmonds shoe inserts used in the Bentons and this takes up the additional room quite well and they are now ready to go.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross post from the regular shoe thread because I didn't know about this one.

1940s Florsheim, with a high degree of craftsmanship and extremely find stitching:

1950s Johnston & Murphy

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Took my black shell PTB Florsheims for their first outing today to the dentist's office. We both survived. I'm really liking these shoes.

AHS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore my vintage Florsheim longwings to the Alden shop this morning. The SAs asked if they were Alden Ravello shells. :) Amazing what 30+ years of wear, exposure to sunlight and rain, and loving attention can do to shell cordovan.

AHS

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just because something is old, does not mean it is desirable and collectable. There are those on the forum who were around for the blacksploitation films and disco era, but most of us have been wise enough to put those photos away for good. I think I would likely hurt myself if I tried to wear a pair now. But at the time they were "fly."

Last edited:

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, just wow....

And all of the clothes are made of 100% synthetic fabric. If these shoes wouldn't kill you the clothes would have. How did people get through the day/night in them? Can't imagine it to be comfortable.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I started this thread 5 months ago and today it passed a very small milestone of 10,000 views. Thanks to those who have shared information and pictures of their vintage shoes and related products. Please continue posting your own shoes, related items and any great find you may have seen that were not your size. Others may be interested.

@smfdoc

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My second post here in a week. Another great thrift.
Florsheim Imperials alligator/crocodile.

This is the first pair of one eyelet shoes I have ever owned. I am going to try emailing Florsheim about buying laces that fit.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My second post here in a week. Another great thrift.
Florsheim Imperials alligator/crocodile.

This is the first pair of one eyelet shoes I have ever owned. I am going to try emailing Florsheim about buying laces that fit.

I like those shoes!
And I wouldn't expect Florsheim to be of much help, as they don't currently offer these shoes, and I'm sure that they haven't for a long time.
I'd try eBay for new laces.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
David at Vcleat.com has a list of companies that, at one time, made shoes in the USA and one of those companies is Sebago. (Rhymes with Winnebago.) They currently make shoes in the US, the DR and in China. Judging from the pice of their shoes now, a majority of them are made offshore, as is the case with so many companies. It seems they made other types of footwear, but they now emphasize hand stitched products like boat shoes and beef roll penny loafers. With background, I ran across this pair of new old stock plain toe bluchers from Sebago that were made in the USA. I could not find anything online to give an age, but this is not the type of shoe they are really making these days. Since the price was excellent, I picked them up and will give a review on the construction and quality when they arrive. I am hoping this pair comes from an earlier time and that the quality is worth looking for in the future.

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Monday forum pals. Hanover long-wings to start off the week.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSC8