• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VB x DR Oiled Mocha:

20191109_vibergs.jpg

Sschaffer24

Reaction score
lol in the short time you've joined this thread there are a lot of questions from you ;p.. that being said they do collab and make wool versions of the Chup sock... Not sure why the cotton is their bread and butter.. I own both versions but don't particularly think one is significantly warmer or moisture wicking than the other.

What can I say... I am an inquisitive guy and feel a good question can spark a great conversation! Plus, those socks looked pretty nice and I secretly wish they were wool. :lookaround:

A lot of it is preference. I like cotton, it's a lot more comfortable. Only time I am going to rock a wool sock is while hiking. And I have never cared for Darn Tough socks, have never understood their hype. And aesthetically, between the two - not even a contest. But to each their own.

See I have been a darn tough convert for the last couple years. Super comfortable, keep you nice and warm and dry and if you go with the "standard" model they're just plain single color socks. Not nearly as nice looking as a Chup/Anomymous ism but really work well overall! Also, their durability really is no joke.

I've worn work boots under heavy conditions pretty much 365 days a year for over 50 years. I find wool to be the far superior material. Just my opinion.

In my limited experience since switching to wool, I have to say my feet are much happier. I am legitimately blown away that there isn't a high end wool product similar in style to chup (I know they do collaborations) or that they haven't added a full line of merino wool options.

Now might be a good time to introduce myself as a sock maven.

View attachment 1276156 View attachment 1276157

Oh we DEFINITELY need your input in this conversation then! Wow.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've worn work boots under heavy conditions pretty much 365 days a year for over 50 years. I find wool to be the far superior material. Just my opinion.
?

For me it’s specifically thin wool socks that are my favorite. They’re comfortable and my feet don’t get warm or sweaty. All of my running socks are wool too.

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do these fit snugger than 2030 stitch down service boots, or about the same?

They actually do which is strange. My previous Natural Camel fit perfect in size 9 .. These were cramping my toes a little and I had to size up. Coupled with thicker CHUP socks, they actually fit me perfectly and I was v happy walking around in them.
On the other hand, Mahogany Shell Derbies fit perfect in size 9.
Puzzling at best .. but DR is pretty good about exchanges.

I always get the impression you're en pointe in these photos; your feet are never flat on the ground. Or, like Emily Litella, you're seated on something that absolutely dwarfs you in scale.

I tend to lean on the dining table when taking the pics.. flat feet make it difficult to capture the angles that need highlighted in a photograph. Amateur toying with iPhone photography..

gte872h

Reaction score
Wool all day. Darn tough is the best I’ve tried. Costco wool socks are thinner and worse than they used to be.

puddin

Reaction score
They actually do which is strange. My previous Natural Camel fit perfect in size 9 .. These were cramping my toes a little and I had to size up. Coupled with thicker CHUP socks, they actually fit me perfectly and I was v happy walking around in them.
On the other hand, Mahogany Shell Derbies fit perfect in size 9.
Puzzling at best .. but DR is pretty good about exchanges.

Interesting. Were the natural camel gyw derbies too?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads