• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr.Chest

Reaction score
+1 on Darn Tough; I'm wearing a pair today with my Oiled Mocha service boots. They're great.
Darn tough are definitely nice, I wear chup and anonymousism for more fun socks. I do like anonymousism's marled socks quite a bit. They have some fun combination colors for sure.

IronRiceBowl

Reaction score
Not sure about CHUP, I think I got a pair as a gift once, but I do know that most of my Anonymous Ism pairs are cotton-wool blends. I believe they do it for comfort as well as durability. They're probably my go-to brand as far as fit and comfort. Darn Toughs are really reserved for hikes.

ROCK123

Reaction score
Darn tough are definitely nice, I wear chup and anonymousism for more fun socks. I do like anonymousism's marled socks quite a bit. They have some fun combination colors for sure.

Google smartwool and chup and you. Smartwool did a collaboration with them

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Apologies in advance if this is not the appropriate thread for this question but I'm looking for advice/input on resoleing a pair of viberg boots.

I grabbed the natural/black shell scout boots and while I like the vibram soles, they don't fit my style. But I love the boot and was willing to spend the extra cash to have them resoled. I assumed I would be able to have Viberg do this before shipping the boots. However, Viberg indicates that new boots should not be resoled because it is an intensive process that puts too much stress on the leather if it hasn't been broken in. I'm certainly in no position to dispute that. However, I just saw the same boot in Garnet shell on ebay and it has been modified exactly like I was thinking.........

20191109_231048.jpg
20191110_085330.jpg

The bottom shot is my boot as purchased.

My question is whether resoleing new shell is harmful to the boot? I'd rather have them resoled immediately rather than have to wear the boots for a couple of months first.

Any input is appreciated.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know more about the Horween "harness leather" that Viberg uses? For example, 3sixteen:

The post says waxy oil-tanned leather, but other harness leather I've seen is veg tanned. Either way, I'm most interested in knowing whether it will stretch a lot, like Chromexcel, or not, more like latigo.

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know more about the Horween "harness leather" that Viberg uses? For example, 3sixteen:

The post says waxy oil-tanned leather, but other harness leather I've seen is veg tanned. Either way, I'm most interested in knowing whether it will stretch a lot, like Chromexcel, or not, more like latigo.

It’s Horween’s Rowdy tannage.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the brown WF, I had to sell my pair due to sizing and definitely miss them. Might have to see if I can grab another pair in the future in a better last for me

Thank you! Was looking for a pair for a pair in 2030 for quite a while. My only regret is that my rotation is deep enough that I'm not sure when I'll get that amazing wf patina. First world problems I guess though, heh

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Apologies in advance if this is not the appropriate thread for this question but I'm looking for advice/input on resoleing a pair of viberg boots.

I grabbed the natural/black shell scout boots and while I like the vibram soles, they don't fit my style. But I love the boot and was willing to spend the extra cash to have them resoled. I assumed I would be able to have Viberg do this before shipping the boots. However, Viberg indicates that new boots should not be resoled because it is an intensive process that puts too much stress on the leather if it hasn't been broken in. I'm certainly in no position to dispute that. However, I just saw the same boot in Garnet shell on ebay and it has been modified exactly like I was thinking.........

View attachment 1276597 View attachment 1276598

The bottom shot is my boot as purchased.

My question is whether resoleing new shell is harmful to the boot? I'd rather have them resoled immediately rather than have to wear the boots for a couple of months first.

Any input is appreciated.

I’ve gotten new shell boots resoled. The main issue is the skill of the person doing it more than anything. Stitchdown stretches the upper leather a lot so the shell can take it. If you’re concerned, I’d err on the side of spending more on a vetted cobbler.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve gotten new shell boots resoled. The main issue is the skill of the person doing it more than anything. Stitchdown stretches the upper leather a lot so the shell can take it. If you’re concerned, I’d err on the side of spending more on a vetted cobbler.

Perfect. Precisely the kind of input I was hoping for. Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads