• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Veal

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I'm actually happy to see the eggs like that. I followed Robuchon's instructions for scrambled eggs once and they came out looking like that. I thought it did it wrong since I had never seen scrambled eggs look this way. But they were incredibly creamy and delicious so I ate them anyways.
AFAIK, that is the classic preparation. Fluffy with big curds is bad technique.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes! slow and cream=robuchon; fast and fluffy=coffee shop.
one way to make it easier: cook the eggs over medium-low heat with just a little butter, then when the curd starts to set, start whisking in cold butter... it slows the cooking process and emulsifies. man do i love scrambled eggs.

samus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
AFAIK, that is the classic preparation. Fluffy with big curds is bad technique.

Originally Posted by foodguy
yes! slow and cream=robuchon; fast and fluffy=coffee shop.
one way to make it easier: cook the eggs over medium-low heat with just a little butter, then when the curd starts to set, start whisking in cold butter... it slows the cooking process and emulsifies. man do i love scrambled eggs.

what's the 'standard' technique? though foodguy's description sounds like enough to make a first attempt.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always made scrambled eggs like that and never knew it was a Robuchon method. I think it's simply the traditional method. When friends come for brunch, they fawn over my eggs, I don't get it but I enjoy it.

When someone serves me "scrambled eggs" that are simply an overcooked omelette that's been hit a dozen times with the side of a spatula to make it look scrambled, I weep inside.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
yes! slow and cream=robuchon; fast and fluffy=coffee shop. one way to make it easier: cook the eggs over medium-low heat with just a little butter, then when the curd starts to set, start whisking in cold butter... it slows the cooking process and emulsifies. man do i love scrambled eggs.
IIRC, Robuchon has you whisk in cold cream at the end for the same effect. Standard technique, in my opinion, is in a double boiler, cooked slowly in butter and stirred constantly once the eggs start to set. Then add butter at the end if you like. They should be custardy, and they will continue to cook once you take them off the heat, so err on the runnyish side. Now, if somebody would find me some great smoked trout, I would have something with which I could construct a lovely bowl for my eggs.
Originally Posted by gdl203
I've always made scrambled eggs like that and never knew it was a Robuchon method. I think it's simply the traditional method. When friends come for brunch, they fawn over my eggs, I don't get it but I enjoy it. When someone serves me "scrambled eggs" that are simply an overcooked omelette that's been hit a dozen times with the side of a spatula to make it look scrambled, I weep inside.
smile.gif
Yeah, it is also Jacques Pepin technique, Julia Child technique and the technique of anybody who bothered to tell Americans how to stop making ****** scrambled eggs.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Standard technique, in my opinion, is in a double boiler, cooked slowly in butter and stirred constantly once the eggs start to set. Then add butter at the end if you like. They should be custardy, and they will continue to cook once you take them off the heat, so err on the runnyish side.
This is how I make mine, but in a regular pot.

Sometimes, I've had to make scrambled eggs for 25-30 people and used a big couscous pot. Breaking and stirring four dozen eggs in a big pot was pretty gross to me - I couldn't be a commercial cook.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i don't recall adding cream from the Robuchon recipe, I'll post it tonight when I get home. I recall just eggs, butter, salt, pepper. Butter the pan, pour the whisked eggs in, cook on as low as possible heat stirring constantly.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had scrambled eggs at Robuchon in Vegas a couple of months ago. They were, of course, excellent. The bread case they made for them was, however, a technical masterpiece of incredible proportions. They were with large asparagus.
drool.gif

Incman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I have a friend their this year. interesting to see how it goes for him.

more importantly - chicago guys: where do you source your meat and, morning importantly, you eggs?

Freudian slip? Eggs are an important part of mornings.
laugh.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I'm apparently having dinner with Joel sometime in the future. I'll let him know you guiz like his eggs.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had scrambled eggs at Robuchon in Vegas a couple of months ago. They were, of course, excellent. The bread case they made for them was, however, a technical masterpiece of incredible proportions. They were with large asparagus.
drool.gif

oh my yes. it's an inverted hollandaise! (without the lemon)

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
That's where the pro-meat argument fails and will always fail. Eating meat is not necessary, and citing "loss of enjoyment" as a justification for it fails pretty miserably in a debate about ethics over the ending of a life.

You just cannot justify it in my mind.

how about this.

it is more healthy for humans to receive proteins and fats from animals than from other sources. they can live without it but enjoying high quality meats in the correct quantity is BETTER for them than eating none.

people that raise children as vegetarians are negligent.

samus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
how about this.

it is more healthy for humans to receive proteins and fats from animals than from other sources. they can live without it but enjoying high quality meats in the correct quantity is BETTER for them than eating none.

people that raise children as vegetarians are negligent.

How about, "that's idiotic."

Take it from the case of the prosecuted vegan parents. Even the prosecutor admitted,

"Vegan children who are fed properly grow," said Deputy County Attorney Frankie Grimsman.

And in fact, when the children were placed in foster homes, they immediately began to gain weight - while still maintaining vegan diets.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
it is more healthy for humans to receive proteins and fats from animals than from other sources. they can live without it but enjoying high quality meats in the correct quantity is BETTER for them than eating none. people that raise children as vegetarians are negligent.
Vegetarians may still use milk and eggs for protein and fat, I don't see why that would make parents negligent either. Too commonly people blame these types of occurrences on veganism, when really it is negligent and irresponsible parents who happen to be vegan. There should definitely be more emphasis on alternatives for vegs rather than just what products to avoid. Do you have a source that says protein/fat from animals are better for health?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads