• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's already got 10 lined in the queue...

I believe you are some form of electrician / electrical engineer. Whatever it is, do you have space for a mature apprentice? Seems to enable you to have a better lifestyle than my mainstream grind....

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never had three fittings for any suit, whether it was made by a Savile Row tailor or elsewhere. Bespoke, as far as I'm concerned, has little to do with the number of fittings and everything to do with "is this pattern made specifically and individually for me?" If yes, then it's bespoke, period. In terms of standards, the only tailor that I've had fewer fit issues with once a garment was delivered is Edward Sexton.

Did you have fit issues with Hitchcock? If I recall correctly, I thought that fit nicely.

L.deJong

Reaction score
My Tailor seems to do good work. I don't know their prices, but if they're within your budget, it would be hard to do better at that price point, I think.

The only other ~$2k bespoke tailoring I've seen that I thought was impressive was the stuff @UrbanComposition got in Sicily. You can read about it here

One of those Sicilian tailors is now visiting San Francisco. Prices are done in the usual Italian way -- there's the charge for labor, and then the cost of the fabric (whereas with British tailors, cost of fabric is included). For a cotton suit, I recently paid ~$2k, although I haven't received it yet. If you can make it to San Francisco, that could be another option, although prices are going up in 2021, I hear.
Indeed if you want good/great bespoke seek out an old Italian tailor living in the South of Italy.
It's hard to find one without speaking Italian, but I'm in the midst of learning that great language.
After that stick with him until he knows you and you don't need any fittings.

While my tailor sells bespoke suits for well under 2k he does everything by hand (except the collar).
The problem is that you only get one fitting (travelling tailor) and thus it takes a long time to get everything exactly right.
(I'm a nitpick, so everything that isn't exactly right gets me frustrated... I'm trying to not make it a bigger deal than it really is, but it's hard for me). So then it's off to Italy again to make it better. So you need to be patient and make sure you don't need it in say a year:)

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you have fit issues with Hitchcock? If I recall correctly, I thought that fit nicely.
The first suit he made for me is fine and all the trousers he's made are similarly fine. But the Escorial jacket had balance issues that I still can't unsee even though it's vastly better than it was. But the most recent jacket, a DB in a Holland and Sherry flannel, is frustrating. At first it was finished just basically too big, which was odd because it looked fine at the forward fitting. Then, after that was corrected, the back and especially the back of one sleeve is not at all satisfactory. So it needs to go back for more work. I'm sure it will be fine in the end, it's just taking longer than it should.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first suit he made for me is fine and all the trousers he's made are similarly fine. But the Escorial jacket had balance issues that I still can't unsee even though it's vastly better than it was. But the most recent jacket, a DB in a Holland and Sherry flannel, is frustrating. At first it was finished just basically too big, which was odd because it looked fine at the forward fitting. Then, after that was corrected, the back and especially the back of one sleeve is not at all satisfactory. So it needs to go back for more work. I'm sure it will be fine in the end, it's just taking longer than it should.

Well you confirmed my initial thoughts, all traveling tailors get it wrong. Sometimes I just want to scream at them.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
For those interested, dates for Salvo of I Sarti Italiani have been set:

Saturday/Sunday January 25/26

Sonder
116 John Street #1305
NY, NY

Monday/Tuesday January 27/28
2240 Bay St #101
SF, CA

Feel free to DM for appointments or other inquiries.

Perhaps a gathering over adult beverages is called for.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well you confirmed my initial thoughts, all traveling tailors get it wrong. Sometimes I just want to scream at them.
The first suit and most of the trousers were made while Steven was still visiting the Bay Area. But for the the two jackets I'm talking about I mostly went to him in London. I think to assert that "all traveling tailors get it wrong" is nonsense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads