• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dan'l

Reaction score
@lordsuperb, how about one of the islands in the Gulf of Naples? I think Ischia is quite beautiful and it is a short ferry ride from Naples. You could make a day trip of it, but spending a couple of nights there would me more relaxing.

The Amalfi coast is nice, but I find it a bit overrated.

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone should happen to have a spare length of the LL TW27 cloth (you know, the brown wide herringbone tweed) that they would be willing to part with? Would be interested in anything between 2,5 and 3,5 meters. Thanks a lot!

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did not care for Positano. It was overrun with tourists and offered very little I could not see elsewhere in Italy. On the Amalfi cost, I prefer Praiano and Ravello. My wife hated Napoli whereas I had mixed feelings. I would go back, and she wouldn't.

We've both lived in Italy and speak Italian, so there was no culture shock to handle. Someone mentioned Ischia, which is gorgeous. It's where our family in Italy goes on holiday.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ischia is nice, but I think 4 days is a bit long for Ischia and short for trying to do both Ischia and Napoli.

with 4 days in Napoli, you could do a day trip to Pompeii, a day trip to Capri, do a few hours at the Nat'l Archeological museum (where a lot of stuff from Pompeii and Herculaneum goes to get out of the open air), and do a half day of menswear.

Visit Talarico, Caccioppoli, M cilentro. I havent made it into E Marinella (nearish to M cilentro) or the custom tie maker whose name I am drawing a blank on). No need to commit to bespoke (although bespoke ties dont need the multiple appointments everything else does)

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
...the custom tie maker whose name I am drawing a blank on).
Cappelli? They are on the web, so perhaps less than necessary to make a detour for them.

dan'l

Reaction score
If you are really adventurous, stop by Torre del Greco on the way back from Pompeii. It is run down and looks quite dodgy, so be prepared.

I went there many years ago, hunting for cameos. Apparently most of the cameos are crafted there (the shells are sourced elsewhere).

ovlov

Reaction score
Hi Guys.
Sorry I know this isn't really the appropriate forum but I thought it would be the best place to get opinions to help with my situation...

So I commissioned my first real bespoke project about 6 months ago; my first DB suit in a mid-grey fresco. I live in a sartorial wasteland so I had to commission it in a different city. I had 3 subsequent fittings, flying over each time. There was to be a 4th fitting after which only finishing would be required ( I think).
About 2 weeks after the 3rd fitting I became very ill and wound up in hospital for over 2 months. As a result I have lost about 20% of my body weight and am not regaining it any time soon.

My question is what do you think should happen from here? The suit will need some major rework to be wearable. As we are still in the production stage, should I expect my tailor to fix it? Should it be fixed at my expense? Is it likely that the suit could even be changed at this stage in the process top adjust for my new shape?

Thanks all for your time and consideration.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi Guys.
Sorry I know this isn't really the appropriate forum but I thought it would be the best place to get opinions to help with my situation...

So I commissioned my first real bespoke project about 6 months ago; my first DB suit in a mid-grey fresco. I live in a sartorial wasteland so I had to commission it in a different city. I had 3 subsequent fittings, flying over each time. There was to be a 4th fitting after which only finishing would be required ( I think).
About 2 weeks after the 3rd fitting I became very ill and wound up in hospital for over 2 months. As a result I have lost about 20% of my body weight and am not regaining it any time soon.

My question is what do you think should happen from here? The suit will need some major rework to be wearable. As we are still in the production stage, should I expect my tailor to fix it? Should it be fixed at my expense? Is it likely that the suit could even be changed at this stage in the process top adjust for my new shape?

I'm not a tailor, so I don't have anything useful to say. But really sorry to hear about your medical issue. Hope you're on your way to recovery.

FWIW, if it were me, I would just explain the situation to the tailor and try to come to a compromise. I would expect to shoulder the burden of the cost, but maybe the tailor is willing to work out something. I don't know how much work is involved in restructuring a suit like that.

I have seen, however, some bespoke clients lose a lot of weight and get their bespoke wardrobe restructured by the original tailors. But again, I don't know if that necessarily means anything for your situation.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys.

All depends on where the weight has been lost. For example, I’ve dropped 10-15kg since most of my bespoke stiff was made. My shoulders have stayed roughly the same and chest just a tad smaller. Most of the loss was in the mid section.

In fact they fit much better now with a lot more drape and counterintuitively ive even let out the waist a bit more for an easier relaxed fit.

Alan
0B24F21F-DD03-4B3E-8F3A-C531599D8C1C.jpeg
4D8140C4-EABB-4C91-AF67-F9B718C8B070.jpeg
5055DE87-F93E-460E-9082-9558CE001752.jpeg
7F9123CF-5FD2-4AD5-8F4D-1EA2BB5E3165.jpeg
D69C39D0-5E93-4E9C-A4FF-9B56C04D0C20.jpeg

sensuki

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

Hi ovlov, aren't you going through Joe Ha @ TFC ? Have you contacted him about it yet?

If I recall correctly from when I collected my TFC trousers from Joe, he said (paraphrasing here as I can't remember his exact words) that lifetime service was included in the price. I am not exactly sure what that means though.

ovlov

Reaction score
All depends on where the weight has been lost. For example, I’ve dropped 10-15kg since most of my bespoke stiff was made. My shoulders have stayed roughly the same and chest just a tad smaller. Most of the loss was in the mid section.

In fact they fit much better now with a lot more drape and counterintuitively ive even let out the waist a bit more for an easier relaxed fit.

Hi Alan,
Most of those pics look great so I guess there may be some hope for me yet. My weight loss was a bit all over the place, though mostly my upper back, thighs and waist. The most worrying part is that I can tell from my older suits that shoulders are a bit big now. I think I remember reading somewhere that shoulders pretty much can't be fixed. Is that true?

Hi ovlov, aren't you going through Joe Ha @ TFC ? Have you contacted him about it yet?

If I recall correctly from when I collected my TFC trousers from Joe, he said (paraphrasing here as I can't remember his exact words) that lifetime service was included in the price. I am not exactly sure what that means though.

Yes you are correct mate. I have contacted Joe by email but his responses were pretty curt and limited to advising me to wait until i'm better and we can discuss further. I just thought I should get some advice here first as to what I should expect, as I spent a lot of time at first just feeling sorry for myself and assuming all was lost. That would be great news though if what you say about 'lifetime service' is true.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Alan,
Most of those pics look great so I guess there may be some hope for me yet. My weight loss was a bit all over the place, though mostly my upper back, thighs and waist. The most worrying part is that I can tell from my older suits that shoulders are a bit big now. I think I remember reading somewhere that shoulders pretty much can't be fixed. Is that true?

Yes you are correct mate. I have contacted Joe by email but his responses were pretty curt and limited to advising me to wait until i'm better and we can discuss further. I just thought I should get some advice here first as to what I should expect, as I spent a lot of time at first just feeling sorry for myself and assuming all was lost. That would be great news though if what you say about 'lifetime service' is true.

Firstly, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Based on what I have seen, a competent tailor can alter your garments even though the work can be quite extensive.

I have seen a tailor reduce the waist up to about 3 inches (using all three seams) and reduce shoulder width by removing/reattaching sleeves.

Lifetime service on a garment sounds like a marketing pitch unless it is clearly defined and spelled out.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Alan,

@ovlov

Hi, Ovlov, let me join the rest of the gentlemen in wishing you a speedy recovery.

Upper back, thighs and waist. These are exactly the places where I've lost a ton of weight (muscle in my case). Those can be easily handled by a competent tailor if you don't mind a slightly "drapier" garment.

Regarding shoulders, I think and I hope to be corrected if wrong, that it depends on the shoulder expression. There are many in fact who prefer a slightly extended shoulder that extends beyond the natural shoulder line. This may even accentuate a V-Shape if you are into that sort of thing.

I'm a bit puzzled though. Since the suit has yet to be delivered, isn't it the tailors duty to modify the garment to the best extent possible before you take delivery?

Alan Bee

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads