• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:( Does this mean the majority of the people I saw getting out of there expensive car were faking the funk?
Or do the LA thang, and park your $200k car on the street outside of your studio apartment in Culver City...just don't get dinged with those street cleaning tickets.

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:( Does this mean the majority of the people I saw getting out of there expensive car were faking the funk?

Do not know about the majority, but is well know some of the +50 years old randys rent fancy cars to try to get for free the girls that walk on the dock ( but they do not know those girls are already $$$corts trying to get a rich arab or similar to get his millions)

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a suit in one of Fox's "Classic Flannels", and wouldn't use any cloths in that range again. The cloths in that bunch have a kind of flimsy, lifeless feel to them compared to some other standard flannels out there. Their (discontinued?) London Lounge bunch was incredible, and there are a few nice flannels in the "Jacketing" bunch.

Minnis and Harrisons flannels are more expensive (in the US), but they have a much sturdier feel. If you were to feel them alongside Fox's Classics you'd notice the difference right away.

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do not know about the majority, but is well know some of the +50 years old randys rent fancy cars to try to get for free the girls that walk on the dock ( but they do not know those girls are already $$$corts trying to get a rich arab or similar to get his millions)

That's now how you get babes. Being properly dressed in London Lounge Flannel is how you get women!!!

sacaroly

Reaction score
Any opinion about Taylor & Lodge Lumbs golden bale? Is it comparable to H lesser LGB?? I've read here (in another old thread) that the latter is a great fabric made from high quality yarn but may not be worthy the premium price.
Looks like Taylor&Lodge lumbs golden bale (old stock) is sold for 60-75 GBP/meter at harissonburley and ebay including few staple colors. Is it a fabric to be looked at? At this price would it be a good bang for the buck ?

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any opinion about Taylor & Lodge Lumbs golden bale? Is it comparable to H lesser LGB?? I've read here (in another old thread) that the latter is a great fabric made from high quality yarn but may not be worthy the premium price.
Looks like Taylor&Lodge lumbs golden bale (old stock) is sold for 60-75 GBP/meter at harissonburley and ebay including few staple colors. Is it a fabric to be looked at? At this price would it be a good bang for the buck ?

Its not something you'll want to wear as an everyday workhorse. Stick to the basics like oyster, botany, h. lesser 13.

Simon A

Reaction score

Bulmer and Lumb are a manufacturer of top and yarn, and the only manufacturer of Lumb's Golden Bale yarn to my knowledge. Taylor and Lodge is a cloth manufacturer, and it has been owned by Bulmer and Lumb since 2005. H Lesser are a merchant.

Last edited:

sacaroly

Reaction score
Bulmer and Lumb are a manufacturer, and the only manufacturer of Lumb's Golden Bale to my knowledge. H Lesser are a merchant.
Its not something you'll want to wear as an everyday workhorse. Stick to the basics like oyster, botany, h. lesser 13.
Thanks ! So would it be, at least theoritically, similar in quality to H lesser LGB? or there are different ranges of LGB as it goes for most fabrics? Would the quality and the finishing of this fabric fit the bill for a 'special events suit'? lets say a better and more durable option rather than a super+++ or escorial,...?

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks ! So would it be, at least theoritically, similar in quality to H lesser LGB? or there are different ranges of LGB as it goes for most fabrics? Would the quality and the finishing of this fabric fit the bill for a 'special events suit'? lets say a better and more durable option rather than a super+++ or escorial,...?

I think you are over analyzing things. Buy a suit and wear without care.

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont buy any fabric without sending a swatch to a lab for a series of test, analyses and usage simulations. The report that comes back is then sent to a second lab for auditing.

sacaroly

Reaction score
I think you are over analyzing things. Buy a suit and wear without care.
I see your point, you're right
Thanks for your input!
I am simply seeking an objective opinion from someone who may have had a suit made from a specific fabric: Lumbs golden bale from Taylor&Lodge given its relatively low price tag and the lack of any web info, nothing more or less!
Helpful replies are more than welcome. No problem with less helpful ones either!

bamboo

Reaction score
I once heard TL version has dryer touch from the people who have both. I cannot tell if this is due to batch difference or finish difference. both are good anyway IMO.

sensuki

Reaction score
Please don't don't ever do double pleated denim with an extended waistband

Agree with Ven above that you shouldn't do double pleated denim. Or even bespoke denim. That's going to look really nerdy.

embrace the dark art of the pleated jean and humiliate your rivals - you will become all powerful and able to seamlessly blend in with dad's from Ohio at a BBQ. They will never know you wield bespoke Ambrosi pleated denim pents; able to control the eb and flow of their gathering with your pents urbane majestueux. The ultimate stealth power move.

81zLZ9NbyiL._SX342_.jpg

I'm kind of in the mood for some pleated rtw denim pants.

A bit late to the party, but I have to disagree with @venividivicibj and @dieworkwear on this topic and agree with @pleatedjeans, but not with his specific example which was given in quite humorous jest.

Earlier this year I picked up a pair of the RTW Chad Prom 'Pieghe' pleated jeans and I LOVE them so much, they are incredibly versatile - you can wear them with pretty much anything from sneakers and a white t-shirt up to casual blazers, and they go with pretty much any colour as long as the value isn't too similar. The best photo of them is probably this one - not the best photo of the jeans themselves, but the best photo they provided of wearing them with a more classic outfit.

IMG_0237%20%EB%B3%B5%EC%82%AC_shop1_115901.jpg

Who knows, maybe with time. I think the denim you posted struggle from a lack of style - I'd definitely get a darker denim.

I think in this instance the issue is not the jeans themselves but the yellow t-shirt and loafers. Every item in the fit is competing for attention. I would have gone with Tobacco, tan or light brown loafers with that color of denim and a shade of white for the t-shirt. Though I do agree that the jeans could have a nicer style. I think they look a bit too modern/slim.

I am actually considering getting a pair of MTM or Bespoke trousers in the Carnet Silk Denim: http://www.carnet.it/en/denim/2809-cotton-and-silk-denim-carnet-fratelli-tallia-di-delfino.html

The supplied photos of the bunch really don't capture how nice it is in person. Steve Calder in Australia just got his Northern Italian jacket and trouser samples and I prefer the new trouser style to his Napoli made ones and I may get a pair made up in this fabric.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads