• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Given the prominence of those horizontal blue bars, I would say a jacket in this cloth could suit a slim man. Portly gents might be better off with something else.

What if you were a portly man wearing this while laying sideways?

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

turkoftheplains

Reaction score

Getting the right length of cloth for a topcoat is tricky unless you know all the variables. It's different than ordering suit or jacket lengths.
Total length of the coat, girth measurements and styling details all contribute.  Sometimes need to order different lengths of cloth for the same client to accommodate styling details.

Heavy napped cloth or large pattern repeats require more cloth to cut all the pieces in one direction. Patch pockets, belts, cuffs, inverted pleats, kick pleats, raglan sleeves, yokes, etc.,  all require specific cloth requirements. Double breasted may need more cloth than a single breasted.
If you have a trim build you can fit more pieces across the cloth width. If you are stocky or heavy you need more cloth length because you lose across the width.

Consult the maker, he would know best. Better to have extra cloth to work with.

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate the wisdom of a pro, especially one of your calibre. I'm not completely decided on the details yet (and I'd be delighted for inspiration if anyone has particularly nice tweed DB overcoat makeups.) I'll inquire with the maker, and err on the side of more.

Last edited:

Magnanimist

Reaction score
This gunclub is the first piece I purchased after joining the LL cloth club a few years ago. One of my go-to jackets in colder months. Comfortable as all get out. The blue windowpane balances well IMO. Get nothing but positive comments from people on it.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This gunclub is the first piece I purchased after joining the LL cloth club a few years ago. One of my go-to jackets in colder months. Comfortable as all get out. The blue windowpane balances well IMO. Get nothing but positive comments from people on it.

I'm prepared to accept this field report as the final word on the subject.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised that it's a LL design. Was the original purpose to make it an overcoat fabric?

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm surprised that it's a LL design. Was the original purpose to make it an overcoat fabric?

No, it was meant for city wearing. Something soft to wear at the bar for girls to touch. Girls like to touch nice jackets.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off LL topic, but a big fat +1 for Minnis Bamboo cloth. Just got a pair of navy bamboo braces, and boy would I love an SC in a same fabric. Probably wouldn't be the ultimate for resiliency, but it is has some exquisite surface texture

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone ID this shirting from Drake's? The image is from their Instagram or tumblr account.

Thanks in advance.

DL-

whippet

Reaction score
Guys, could you suggest a tailor in London aside from savile row houses. Maybe some young independent who previously worked in Savile Row but then decided to open his own shop. Someone who makes fully bespoke pieces and doesn't cut corners

Thanks

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That would be a very bold pattern in such a large design as an overcoat. I don't think Hamish Bowles could pull that off. Maybe Andre Leon Talley or Flusser in his nutty professor stage.

suffolk

Reaction score
Just joined - but a long time lurker around here.

In reply to Whippet looking for a Row-esque tailor:

I suggest you call Joshua Byrne. He set up on his own a few years ago, having trained at A&S and Poole. He's not less expensive than others, doesn't need to be - also he's not terribly interested in social media. But his cutting and the experience is fantastic.

Last edited:

whippet

Reaction score

Just joined - but a long time lurker around here.

In reply to Whippet looking for a Row-esque tailor:

I suggest you call Joshua Byrne. He set up on his own a few years ago, having trained at A&S and Poole. He's not less expensive than others, doesn't need to be - also he's not terribly interested in social media. But his cutting and the experience is fantastic.

Thanks Suffolk, I'll investigate. I struggle to understand savile row prices. It's a matter of principle and not affordability.

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity,how many unfunded liabilities do members here currently have right now?I have around 30 pieces (mostly vintage stuff) and i add at least 1 every quarter of the year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads