• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anybody enlighten me as to the registration process for LL? Put in info last week, and haven't been confirmed yet.

Edit: it seems like every answer is contact an administrator, which it seems like I cannot do unless I'm already registered...and around in circles I go lol. :puzzled:

I don't know if this is helpful?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I live in Austin where it gets to 60+% humidity and 100+ degree temps. Minnis Fresco 9-10 oz. is definitely warm. 8-9 oz. is slightly better. Voile shirts help though.
I find cotton shirts to be a huge problem in humidity, especially if they are of a fine, close weave (which isn't voile's problem, really). Linen is much better, and many linen/cotton blends get close enough. They absorb enough moisture and let enough air through to avoid most of the "plastic bag" effect that high-supers poplin can produce.

Limniscate

Reaction score

I find cotton shirts to be a huge problem in humidity, especially if they are of a fine, close weave (which isn't voile's problem, really). Linen is much better, and many linen/cotton blends get close enough. They absorb enough moisture and let enough air through to avoid most of the "plastic bag" effect that high-supers poplin can produce.

I like cotton/linen but only if it's a higher cotton composition than linen. More linen-based blends feel like you're wearing cardboard.

Last edited:

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a couple Borrelli sport coats that I wear from time to time, specifically because of the fabric. If it fits and you like it, I don't see why not.

Cheers Pete.

Anyone else?

bertie

Reaction score

Cheers Pete.

Anyone else?

While nearly my entire CM wardrobe is made up of custom clothing, I have a few LBM unlined jackets I wear casually and 3 or 4 pairs of RTW pants I will wear with sport coats. These tend to be slimmer fitting than my CM and I sometimes like the contrast.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of my suits and sports jackets have been tailor made. Odd trousers, on the other hand, are usually OTR, as are about half of my shirts. For cords, for instance, I don't see the utility of custom-made, where OTR will be perfectly serviceable at a fraction of the outlay.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well that was the briefest of dalliances.

Tried the jacket on and was instantly reminded of all the alteration work I used to have to get done to my RTW jackets to have them fit properly.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All of my suits and sports jackets have been tailor made. Odd trousers, on the other hand, are usually OTR, as are about half of my shirts. For cords, for instance, I don't see the utility of custom-made, where OTR will be perfectly serviceable at a fraction of the outlay.

I find Luxire to be a good value proposition here if they work for you. $150 or so for customized cords / moleskins is not bad.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that was the briefest of dalliances.

Tried the jacket on and was instantly reminded of all the alteration work I used to have to get done to my RTW jackets to have them fit properly.

Yep. I have no issues with the idea of RTW. My genetics do.

cmead

Reaction score
(Hope this is the right way to do it, this forum setup is just a bit off-kilter to me. I keep wanting to start a new thread, but I guess that's not the right thing to do?)

Anyways.

I’m looking to match a fabric from the mid-1960s. Not an exact match, of course, as that would be impossible, but something close-enough or evocative of the original would do.

I’ll embed a picture and include a link to a larger copy because gremlins happen.

Yes, it's a woman's suit. But y'all seem to be the experts when it comes to quality suiting fabrics.

http://skaro.com/costuming/Louise/diofe_sf.jpg

Apologies, this is the best I could pull together from a DVD of a film that hasn’t been restored.

I look at it and see a gingham plaid in warm greys with an occasional (muted) brownish red stripe.My partner, an artist with a much better eye for this sort of thing (and a better monitor than my laptop) swears that there’s some blue going on, but I don’t want to push my luck.

Given that the source is British, I suppose it might be better described as a guncheck instead of a gingham plaid, but I’m obviously not an expert in this field. As I said,I know an exact match is impossible, but something in the ballpark would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance!

- CM

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone have 2m of the original oatmeal flannel?

If you don't find any, I'd take a look at the new Minnis flannel books. They've done a much better job with lighter colored flannels this time around. I'm going to be getting myself a few pairs made up at some point. Light / mid grey obviously, but also very impressed with the light fawn and fawn colors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads