• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JHWilliams

Reaction score
@JHWilliams Curious if you have experience with Steed and how they compare to Steven?

i have zero experience with Steed. However, I have seen their work and it appears to be quite good. They aren’t afraid of drape. I must say, however, that I much prefer Steven Hitchcock’s cut. I have found the tailor for me. No need to look any further.

JHWilliams

Reaction score
@JHWilliams Curious if you have experience with Steed and how they compare to Steven?

I must admit, I was very tempted to try Anderson & Sheppard. Given their history and classic drape cut. However, after watching Kirby Allison’s video on A &S, it re-affirmed the fact that the house cut has greatly changed. Most of the cutters were wearing suits with very controlled drape and tight wrap arounds. It ain’t what it used to be. Not to mention the fact that they are more expensive due to their Savile Row overhead expenses.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer Steven Hitchcock’s coats slightly over Steed’s. Mainly because of cleaner drape and shape of his coats. However, because of availability and excellent service, I’ll be using Steed for the first time next month when they make their summer tour in the states. I eventually plan to use Steven as well.

In reference to their respective house styles. From my understanding they both cut modern interpretations of the Anderson and Shepherd soft drape coat. Steven prefers to cut a high clean drape(almost invisible) with shape in the waist and a longer skirt. Steed is more of a classic drape coat. Drapey chest with shape in the waist and a moderate or longer skirt.

kylepw

Reaction score
I must admit, I was very tempted to try Anderson & Sheppard. Given their history and classic drape cut. However, after watching Kirby Allison’s video on A &S, it re-affirmed the fact that the house cut has greatly changed. Most of the cutters were wearing suits with very controlled drape and tight wrap arounds. It ain’t what it used to be. Not to mention the fact that they are more expensive due to their Savile Row overhead expenses.
Same. Wouldn't do A&S now even if I was funded by a VC. Fitting scheduled for first bespoke commission with Steed in June. Looking forward to it.

JHWilliams

Reaction score
I prefer Steven Hitchcock’s coats slightly over Steed’s. Mainly because of cleaner drape and shape of his coats. However, because of availability and excellent service, I’ll be using Steed for the first time next month when they make their summer tour in the states. I eventually plan to use Steven as well.

In reference to their respective house styles. From my understanding they both cut modern interpretations of the Anderson and Shepherd soft drape coat. Steven prefers to cut a high clean drape(almost invisible) with shape in the waist and a longer skirt. Steed is more of a classic drape coat. Drapey chest with shape in the waist and a moderate or longer skirt.

Steven also cuts the old Scholte way. Here is a photo of my tweed jacket

Attachments

• 5D9EB6A6-1D1C-44D9-84BE-ED2577A4F15A.png
    5D9EB6A6-1D1C-44D9-84BE-ED2577A4F15A.png
    830.4 KB · Views: 82

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steven also cuts the old Scholte way. Here is a photo of my tweed jacket

tbh, I prefer not to use Steven for a classic Scholte drape coat. I would rather use Steed or Tom Mahon. My reason for using Steven would be specifically for the high and clean drape. It is very unique and I don’t see any other tailor making that type of coat. All the practical benefits of drape with a much cleaner and refined look.

However, I do love the classic drape cut. I plan on using this example as a basis for my coat commissions with Steed. FYI I love one button coats.
395CBDB5-9DED-4C5E-8F0F-ABAA3F9B6F3B.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics