• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Received this today. Feels really smooth in the hand (to me it is even smoother than the escorial wool) but I am guessing it might not have enough drape. View attachment 1363367
Is this from the Eton sample book? Cannot compare this with Escorial. Apples and oranges. This is a light weight very tightly woven worsted. It's very good cloth but light weight and will drape in a different way than any Escorial cloth.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever had a shirt stick to a partially lined jacket. Since several tailors have raised the issue, I believe it. I just haven't experienced it. And I would probably trade that for the extra ventilation.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My Minnis Mock Leno jacket is half lined. Shirt doesn't show through.
Full lining
Unless you want your shirts to stick to the jacket.
I don't think I've ever had a shirt stick to a partially lined jacket. Since several tailors have raised the issue, I believe it. I just haven't experienced it. And I would probably trade that for the extra ventilation.

Well, since I respect all of your opinions, I have a damn contradiction from which everything follows. Maybe I'll do both!

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The british tailors will claim its a styling issue and will raise hell but they’ve never dealt with humid DC summers.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't care for partial lining on a light weight cloth for the same reason I don't like unlined ties.
Having no lining from the bottom of the armhole to the hem across the back doesn't do much.
If you want to be cooler wearing a jacket ask for lighter weight hymo for the canvass and a more porous chest piece. Reduce where there are more layers which is the front of the jacket. Removing the back lining when lining has practically no weight to it doesn't do much IMO. So now you say it allows air to flow more.
Like I said, it's more effective on the fronts than the back.

Wearing lighter weight shirts is my keep cooler method.
Favorite is cotton/linen blends. Wear them exclusively for the summer weather. The shirt fabric doesn't retain heat, allows for more self ventilating and is more effective at keeping you cool than the effect a half lined jacket will.

Last edited:

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My neapolitan tailor always puts lining in Fresco type cloths and avoids the (not so recent now) trend of making everything unlined. He might have experience with it as Naples is a very humid and hot city half of the year. He would also probably refuse the request of making a linen or cotton jacked lined though.

SpaceFunk

Reaction score
Hi guys, anyone know which fabric bunches I should look at to find a burgundy linen/linen blend fabric?

Something similar to this?

Burgundy Linen Suit.jpg

Closest thing I've found so far is this:
https://hallmadden.com/zegna-cotton-linen/5p9wd351ua3fq59u0ohromlmbzsi4n

Thank you!

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All this talk is making me regret getting my new DJ quarter-lined

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone I know has one. It looks lovely, with just enough texture to make it interesting.

aaronatKW

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for mills/merchants that do Cotton (usually with Silk/Wool/Linen, or any combination of them). I find a fair amount of these in RTW (Cucinelli often do Cotton/Silk/Wool and Cotton/Silk/Linen jackets), but I can't seem to find bunches with them in very easily?

Silk, wool and linen are often blended in summer jacketing. Blending with cotton is more unusual.

This might be something for Solbiati, but they and their parent Loro Piana do not have good online presentations. The Solbiati website does offer a guide to their bunches, however.

The best online presentation of contemporary summer jacketing is from the Neapolitan cloth merchant Ariston.

Royal_Airforce

Reaction score
Silk, wool and linen are often blended in summer jacketing. Blending with cotton is more unusual.

This might be something for Solbiati, but they and their parent Loro Piana do not have good online presentations. The Solbiati website does offer a guide to their bunches, however.

The best online presentation of contemporary summer jacketing is from the Neapolitan cloth merchant Ariston.

Not sure if my reply is still pertinent in this age when everything is moving fast. But LP has some nice cotton blends in their Mare book: https://hallmadden.com/loro-piana-mare/
  • 'Softime' at the page top which is a cotton-wool-silk blend, in a slubby plain weave that looks pretty similar to the 'Summertime' wool-silk-linen, but I imagine the cotton properties would dominate, so it rumples and moulds to your body shape
  • Towards the bottom of the page are some pure cotton or with minimal EA blended

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads