• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
That is lovely in the RIGHT social environment...

I saw a guy wearing one of them in a London bar...

It looks affected and out of place...

Originally Posted by braised
Great cloth but I wouldn't go for the super shaped look as in the photo - it doesn't really work in the city or the country. Go less structured - the stuff would be great with jeans and a white shirt.

B

I wouldn't get it made it like shown in the picture. I just liked seeing it made up rather than just looking at the swatch.

I'd go soft tailoring with 3 patches.

sellahi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
That is lovely in the RIGHT social environment...

I saw a guy wearing one of them in a London bar...

It looks affected and out of place...

I think I would have the same reaction. I'm not a fun of rustic outerwear being worn in city situations.

Q for you and other posters: what are good odd jackets for the city? I can see blazers and plain tweeds (esp grey) working, but what else?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
CLOTH SWAP AVAILABLE

I have 2 yards of mini's choc plaid flannel:
IMG_3695.jpg

IMG_3696.jpg

IMG_3699.jpg

and 4 yards of a Mid Grey English Twill:
IMG_3701.jpg

IMG_3702.jpg

I'm looking for 4 yards of a lighter colored navy suiting fabric for a navy three piece suit.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ Like the flannel, but not much one can do with just 2 yards.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
^ Like the flannel, but not much one can do with just 2 yards.

Sportcoat, non?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Sportcoat, non?

At least 2.5 yds for moi. And that's not really SC material imo.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I must say Minnis (the chocolate PoW) 341 is a truly beautiful fabric, you might want to get some extra and go for the full 3-piece

Renfield

Reaction score
^The Minnis Flannel pictured above is beautiful fabric, I have a suit made out of it. It wears warm, however. A three piece may roast you.

I think it could work as an odd jacket material by virtue of it being brown, if nothing else.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NYR - a 3-piece was my original intention with that cloth. Could be bangin', but I just knew I realistically wouldn't wear it that much. FWIW, 2 meters definitely works for me for a sportcoat as you know.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Quick question: thinking about purchasing some Ermazine linings to go with some unfunded liabilities I have sitting around. Does anyone know how much I should buy? Assuming I want the sleeves lined in the same fabric as the body, should I do 1.5 meters for full lining and 1 meter for half lining? Can I do 1 meter for full lining and .5 meters for half lining? Not sure what the needs are there. Off the rack I am a 38L. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Tidybeard

Reaction score
I visited Bateman Ogden in Bradford today (a cloth lover's paradise) and came away with some lovely 20oz dark brown herringbone tweed and some light brown moleskin.

I'm going to have some trousers made from the moleskin but am still undecided on the tweed. I do want a jacket and first thought was a standardish 2B with patch pockets but I'm not sure. Perhaps an above the knee 4B ghillie collar coat?

I have 2.6m and am a 44, would love to hear/see some suggestions.

Many thanks.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^Tidy, I'd go with your gut. For me a two button jacket with envelope patch pockets would be sweet. Nice thick lapels too.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Hardy Chatsworth line? These look sorta interesting:
5470660139_95001fa532_b.jpg
5470659779_b30249ca63_b.jpg

Gent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by braised
Great cloth but I wouldn't go for the super shaped look as in the photo - it doesn't really work in the city or the country. Go less structured - the stuff would be great with jeans and a white shirt.

B

Huntsman disagrees. As do I, to be honest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads