• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Worsted Alsport and Moonbeam are incredibly different though. Former has a hard hand, smooth worsted finish. Moonbeam is very soft and spongy, with a lot of nap.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Worsted Alsport and Moonbeam are incredibly different though. Former has a hard hand, smooth worsted finish. Moonbeam is very soft and spongy, with a lot of nap.

True. I only meant that neither have the kind of prickly texture we associate with real tweed.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only through swatches. But yes, that's the kind of city tweed I was talking about. Tweedy in pattern and color, but not really texture.
Thanks!
Thank you. Do you have experience with using moonbeam? How does it hold up?

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thinking ahead for spring/summer. Which grey Minnis Fresco would be best for odd trousers?

I think the 511 (light grey and roughly 10 ounces) is probably my ideal and I'm planning to get some made up this summer. I have the 501 which is a bit lighter in color and weight and definitely prefer something a bit heavier and a little bit darker. I find the 501 to be a very light grey for regular staple odd trousers. The 512 (mid-grey in the same weight as the 511) is too dark for versatile summer odd trousers IMO.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are crazy if you think two ply fresco is a good summer fabric, it is scratchy and gets uncomfortable in the heat.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are crazy if you think two ply fresco is a good summer fabric, it is scratchy and gets uncomfortable in the heat.

IMO the trick is to go for as little lining as possible in the heat. Fresco's coolness depends on air flow, and lining is obstructive. I'm not a particularly hairy guy and don't find it scratchy once it's worn in. In fact, I find it comfortable.

For a hot weather suit in Fresco I'd also give some thought to wearing both sleeves and cuffs on the shorter side. A bit more sleeve/sock exposed - I'm talking at most 2 cm here - helps with air circulation and is fine for a Summery look.

@Monkeyface +1 with Al on the 511 for odds. Great suit color too. (edit) def not 546, it's just too light for odds- it's a bone color. But I wouldn't get any more odds in Fresco- find prefer a light weight flannel- cool, textured, and like wearing pajamas.

Last edited:

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what peoples definition of summer is, where I am, two ply fresco is impractical. I have some single ply fresco which I think is much better, what good is the air circulation if it is hot outside?
I think you should go single ply or cotton and linen in the summer. It just puzzles me when people say that they will get two ply fresco for summer, the damn thing can be worn almost 4 seasons as long as it is not windy in the cold days.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fresco is a lot cooler than both cotton and linen. Linen only gets a reputation for being cool because it absorbs more water than cotton and wool making you feel dryer giving the illusion of cool. It's all about the weave. Wool also wicks moisture rather than retaining it. I've yet to find a cooler fabric than 8/9 oz fresco.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was comparing cotton to two ply fresco, I agree that light fresco is very good for hot days but there is no way 10/11 oz will work for summer, at least for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads