• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I like and wear Atlantis' madras, but I don't know if I'd call the fabric "good." Granted, madras is kind of a crappy cloth to begin with (kind of the point), but you can get better woven stuff elsewhere. Rosen & Chadick, FME, has nicer options, even if they're limited in their range of colors. They also don't always have them in, so you have to call and check every once in a while.

Off the rack madras shirts from any of your major fashion brands will also be made from better shirtings. The stuff Atlantis sells is basically the stuff you'd find commonly in India (and many open market places in third world countries). Kind of rough feeling.

That said, I bought about six or seven shirt lengths worth, as I don't know anyone who has a bigger selection of colors. I like them for fun, beat-around shirts in the summer. Just kind of have to adjust your expectations so you're not surprised when you open that box.

RL, for example, will have "finer" cloth. I'm wearing some Madras shorts of his today and the cotton is smoother and more tightly woven than what I got from Atlantis. The only thing that I especially prefer about it, though, is that it is of the Bleeding variety. Slightly more vibrant colors now, and the promise of some real patina after a few washes. Atlantis has only a handful of bleeding patterns, and they're not the nicest looking ones in their book. But otherwise the selection is great, and the texture is just right for hot weather casual use.

How do you deal with Rosen & Chadick? Sort of an opaque website. Do you have to go and see what the specials of the day are?

Last edited:

NeedForTweed123

Reaction score

I like and wear Atlantis' madras, but I don't know if I'd call the fabric "good." Granted, madras is kind of a crappy cloth to begin with (kind of the point), but you can get better woven stuff elsewhere. Rosen & Chadick, FME, has nicer options, even if they're limited in their range of colors. They also don't always have them in, so you have to call and check every once in a while.

Off the rack madras shirts from any of your major fashion brands will also be made from better shirtings. The stuff Atlantis sells is basically the stuff you'd find commonly in India (and many open market places in third world countries). Kind of rough feeling.

That said, I bought about six or seven shirt lengths worth, as I don't know anyone who has a bigger selection of colors. I like them for fun, beat-around shirts in the summer. Just kind of have to adjust your expectations so you're not surprised when you open that box.

Well that all seems reasonable. I don't really expect the best quality ever, and don't really need it. Especially for casual summer shirts. I just wanted to make sure it was at least decent and wouldn't be extremely uncomfortable or would fall apart on me. If they're worth the price and your recommendation I'll probably go for the. Thanks.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

RL, for example, will have "finer" cloth. I'm wearing some Madras shorts of his today and the cotton is smoother and more tightly woven than what I got from Atlantis. The only thing that I especially prefer about it, though, is that it is of the Bleeding variety. Slightly more vibrant colors now, and the promise of some real patina after a few washes. Atlantis has only a handful of bleeding patterns, and they're not the nicest looking ones in their book. But otherwise the selection is great, and the texture is just right for hot weather casual use.

How do you deal with Rosen & Chadick? Sort of an opaque website. Do you have to go and see what the specials of the day are?

I imagine if you're in NYC, you can just stop by. Otherwise, I call and request swatches. Ellen, the woman who runs the operation, is super nice. Prices are a lot more expensive than Atlantis though. So instead of $5/ yard, it's something like $20. On the upside, there's no minimum.

The Weejun bought some deadstock stuff. RTW, but they patterns look great.

http://www.theweejun.com/deadstock-bleeding-madras-shirts-nice-little-haul/

Leith's madras is supposedly bleeding

http://www.leithclothing.com/collections/

Last edited:

hirschlederne

Reaction score

Does anyone have any opinions or experience with Atlantis Fabrics and how good the quality is?

I have bought almost 50 yards a while ago but haven't had them turned into shirts yet so I can't comment on how the fabric feels like.

I like the colours though. :)

emptym

Reaction score
I almost agree w/ PB. Some designs are better than others though.

For really hot, humid weather, Patagonia's puckerware is my favorite by far. Just found a good video on it:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
99% of the time I've seen patterns/colors such as those, they've been on Indian IT guys in one of the various buildings I've worked in. So there is an association in my brain. Natural brain workings.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

99% of the time I've seen patterns/colors such as those, they've been on Indian IT guys in one of the various buildings I've worked in. So there is an association in my brain. Natural brain workings.

Interesting. Reminds me of summer on the cape....

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So they read The Official Preppy Handbook and didn't understand the nuances. BFD.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also part of the natural workings of any intelligent brain is not letting arbitrary and completely meaningless associations like that influence one's life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads