• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ppk

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
White balance when taking photos of gray and blue cloth gets totally messed up. The trick is to take the photo in natural light, with part of the frame being "normal stuff," and it gets fixed. (I assume nobody is walking around with an 18% gray card and doing white balance in post, from their iphone.)
This is super useful. Thanks!

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Here's an example from a recent photo in my reel: this is a Fox cloth I took a photo of for reference. You may see in the background that I pointed the camera at the door leading outside, where it's sunny out. When I tried to take a 'cleaner' photo of this cloth it just turned mid-dark gray because of white balance issues.

1699297366689.jpeg

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a suit I had made up in Loro Piana kid mohair/wool blend. It is fantastic, even better than it seemed as a swatch. It is as bone dry as the Sahara, as cool and crisp as iceberg lettuce, just the right amount of crease resistance, and juuuuust a tiny bit of sheen if the light is right. I wish I knew the name of the book, my tailor didn’t bring it this time but it’s really great. I think it’s about 10% mohair or something thereabouts. I’m definitely using it again.

Reaction score
I need some advice from the cloth maniacs here. What do you guys think of this material for a sport coat? It would be my first bespoke garment, so looking for something versatile. I originally chose it at my tailor, but I'm now a bit unsure if it would not look like an orphaned suit jacket, be too shiny, or perhaps too warm. It's an overcoating fabric which I remember being around 600g! I believe it has a sort of rifled surface, but not sure if it's a cav twill. Help! He said I'm free to send something else to replace it if I please.

Attachments

• Hansen.jpeg
    Hansen.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 118

camez_

Reaction score
It could be too heavy
Looks like cav twill but would work as jacket nonetheless

Wouldn't be my first choice for a bespoke garment but ymmv

Timmers

Reaction score
I need some advice from the cloth maniacs here. What do you guys think of this material for a sport coat? It would be my first bespoke garment, so looking for something versatile. I originally chose it at my tailor, but I'm now a bit unsure if it would not look like an orphaned suit jacket, be too shiny, or perhaps too warm. It's an overcoating fabric which I remember being around 600g! I believe it has a sort of rifled surface, but not sure if it's a cav twill. Help! He said I'm free to send something else to replace it if I please.
What sort of climate do you live in? 600g is heavy but if it doesn't get too hot year round, then it'll work nicely for an A/W odd jacket. The hefty twill should cement it as an odd jacket. I wouldn't pick that as suiting cloth.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks fine to me but is a bit heavy. Maybe go with something lighter for your first bespoke sports coat.

I am lukewarm on patch pockets, except for solid navy sports coats where I think they help cement that they aren't an orphaned suit jacket. But the fabric here looks so robust that it may not be an issue.

Reaction score
What sort of climate do you live in? 600g is heavy but if it doesn't get too hot year round, then it'll work nicely for an A/W odd jacket. The hefty twill should cement it as an odd jacket. I wouldn't pick that as suiting cloth.

I live in Copenhagen, so we get as low as -7 degrees celcius for a few weeks in the deep winter, and as high as 30 degrees in the summer. Probably four months of 5-15 degrees.

oldworldelegance

Reaction score
I live in Copenhagen, so we get as low as -7 degrees celcius for a few weeks in the deep winter, and as high as 30 degrees in the summer. Probably four months of 5-15 degrees.

600g might be too warm inside unless the building isn't heated beyond 20C. Depends on how you tend to feel of course.

From your picture, it doesn't seem like it would look like an orphaned suit jacket. For navy jackets, I like adding patch pockets (hips only) and raised edges to make the garment more casual and less like a suit.

Some potential alternatives:
- Holland and Sherry SherryTweed, just over 300g so on the light side.
- London Lounge Ultimate Blazer (420g). A nice mix of angora and wool specifically for blazers https://thelondonlounge.net/
- Fox Brother's Sport jacket (430g): https://foxflannel.com/collections/sports-jacketing/products/sp12
- Fox Brother's Tweed (510g), various navy alternatives: https://foxflannel.com/collections/fox-tweed?page=1&rb_snize_facet1=Char-Navy
- Abraham Moon's Shetlands and Lambswools (twills and herringbones), 370g. The most competitively priced. I have a charcoal shetland jacket which I'm very happy with. They have a few blues to choose from: https://www.moons.co.uk/apparel/sartorial-fabric-shop/

Heavy hopsacks could also work, worsted but with a nice texture and commonly used for blazers. I have a summer hopsack blazer which is nice. I haven't seen a heavier version 'in the flesh', so perhaps others can provide better guidance.

I wouldn't go for flannel (some people do) as to me it's too smooth for an odd jacket.

Last edited:

oldworldelegance

Reaction score
I've subscribed to this outstanding London Lounge Tweed. I love the interlocking pattern (never seen it anywhere else) and the depth of colour. I plan to make a suit and use the jacket separately sometimes.
We are halfway through so hopefully it will get made. Email Michael at [email protected] if you're interested. It's called the Outdoorsman's Tweed:

Attachments

• 53286071875_c1a6fa005b_k.jpg
    53286071875_c1a6fa005b_k.jpg
    617.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 53313921439_45fe26a44c_k.jpg
    53313921439_45fe26a44c_k.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 53313899104_aa4a7e65ee_k.jpg
    53313899104_aa4a7e65ee_k.jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 177
Reaction score
600g might be too warm inside unless the building isn't heated beyond 20C. Depends on how you tend to feel of course.

From your picture, it doesn't seem like it would look like an orphaned suit jacket. For navy jackets, I like adding patch pockets (hips only) and raised edges to make the garment more casual and less like a suit.

Some potential alternatives:
- Holland and Sherry SherryTweed, just over 300g so on the light side.
- London Lounge Ultimate Blazer (420g). A nice mix of angora and wool specifically for blazers https://thelondonlounge.net/
- Fox Brother's Sport jacket (430g): https://foxflannel.com/collections/sports-jacketing/products/sp12
- Fox Brother's Tweed (510g), various navy alternatives: https://foxflannel.com/collections/fox-tweed?page=1&rb_snize_facet1=Char-Navy
- Abraham Moon's Shetlands and Lambswools (twills and herringbones), 370g. The most competitively priced. I have a charcoal shetland jacket which I'm very happy with. They have a few blues to choose from: https://www.moons.co.uk/apparel/sartorial-fabric-shop/

Heavy hopsacks could also work, worsted but with a nice texture and commonly used for blazers. I have a summer hopsack blazer which is nice. I haven't seen a heavier version 'in the flesh', so perhaps others can provide better guidance.

I wouldn't go for flannel (some people do) as to me it's too smooth for an odd jacket.
Thank you for this. Beautiful suggestions, but where does one go about procuring Moon fabrics in Europe outside of the UK?

I don't think I tend to run hot or cold really, but would prefer just putting on a knit in the dead of winter together with the coat rather than having a very heavy coat to begin with.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've subscribed to this outstanding London Lounge Tweed. I love the interlocking pattern (never seen it anywhere else) and the depth of colour. I plan to make a suit and use the jacket separately sometimes.
We are halfway through so hopefully it will get made. Email Michael at [email protected] if you're interested. It's called the Outdoorsman's Tweed:

Uncle Ralph has a parquet tweed (look carefully, it isn't a herringbone):

I feel like this is in the orbit of diamond tweeds that also are hard to come by. Ardalanish might have one covered on that front with:

Their pics' color tone are super accurate, btw. I have a sport coat length of the "silver" cool brown on the shelf.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSC8