• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fraussie

Reaction score
I'm going to commission a suit in Tokyo but it seems my tailor has rather limited choice when it comes to quality (not luxury) British worsted wools. Can't get my hands on Botany, Steadfast, Royal Classics, H Lesser 13... They seem to have more choice in Italian (and French, with Dormeuil) fabrics. What would be the equivalent in Italian/French fabrics of a Botany for example?

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to commission a suit in Tokyo but it seems my tailor has rather limited choice when it comes to quality (not luxury) British worsted wools. Can't get my hands on Botany, Steadfast, Royal Classics, H Lesser 13... They seem to have more choice in Italian (and French, with Dormeuil) fabrics. What would be the equivalent in Italian/French fabrics of a Botany for example?

Draper's 5 Star or Dormeuil Royal 12

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Steadfast is gone, at least for now.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thinking about a Russel plaid, can it work for a big guy given the larger pattern? Does anyone with a bigger frame have one to post? I am not so concerned about being able to pull it off, but rather how it looks on a larger jacket. There are tons of images out there of jackets in sizes 38-40's but nothing in a larger cut.
View attachment 1071799

Thanks in advance,

DL-

Is that P&H Hartwist? FWIW, there are two versions in there, one a pale tan and the other a deeper yellow. I think they're both hard to wear (I'm a size 37 chest), but the deeper yellow is a little easier. They're both very loud and heavy plaids though. I like mine, but most people will not look upon you as though you were George Frazier, but more as an old man, possibly with Paul Manafort-level of taste.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Draper's 5 Star or Dormeuil Royal 12
Are they still making royal 12? Or did they change it to Royal 11? Question on Royal 12, is Royal 12 12 oz? vs. Royal 11 11 oz?

mactire

Reaction score
Thinking about a Russel plaid, can it work for a big guy given the larger pattern? Does anyone with a bigger frame have one to post? I am not so concerned about being able to pull it off, but rather how it looks on a larger jacket. There are tons of images out there of jackets in sizes 38-40's but nothing in a larger cut.
View attachment 1071799

Thanks in advance,

DL-

As a bit of a Sidney Greenstreet myself I think you've got to own it, dressing in plain colours to try minimise your size is a bit of a fool's errand I think. Where is the above check from?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1071799

Thanks in advance,

DL-

I have a length of Russel plaid I’m looking to move, it looks the same as the one in the pic, maybe the same book and fabric. Let me know.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that P&H Hartwist? FWIW, there are two versions in there, one a pale tan and the other a deeper yellow. I think they're both hard to wear (I'm a size 37 chest), but the deeper yellow is a little easier. They're both very loud and heavy plaids though. I like mine, but most people will not look upon you as though you were George Frazier, but more as an old man, possibly with Paul Manafort-level of taste.

Thank you for the advice Derek. This one is vintage from the 80’s so no options on color. I am okay being considered old, just wondering how the pattern might look.

As a bit of a Sidney Greenstreet myself I think you've got to own it, dressing in plain colours to try minimise your size is a bit of a fool's errand I think. Where is the above check from?

I agree, I am a big guy no matter what I am wearing, just wanted to see how this might look on a bigger cut jacket. Can’t remember the name off hand.

I have a length of Russel plaid I’m looking to move, it looks the same as the one in the pic, maybe the same book and fabric. Let me know.

I am all set but thank you for your offer.

DL-

Last edited:

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dear Gentlemen,

Re: Corduroy of Italian provenance

I stopped by my cloth suppliers today and had a thorough look at the Zegna corduroy bunches, thus some minor corrections in my recent, pertinent post need to be made:

There are two different offerings in the winter cotton bunch:
a) cotton 100% at 300grams, and
b) cotton 98%, elastane 2% at 350grams (so there is elastane after all).

"Cashco" line: cotton 91%, cashmere 8%, lycra 1%.

Although I asked no prices, I do know that there is a significant price difference between the two basic lines and Cashco, but gentlemen I have to admit now, being fresh in my mind, that the latter is a totally different being... and I did compare LP and Ariston propositions as well.

Perhaps, a position would be as follows: everyday odd trousers, go with one of the basic lines (or LP, Ariston for that matter), SC or suit aspiring a certain aesthetic, one has to consider upgrading to "Cashco" in a "go big or go home" spirit; fabric quality, color shades, hand have to be checked in person!

Cheers,

Dimitris

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear Gentlemen,

Re: Corduroy of Italian provenance

I stopped by my cloth suppliers today and had a thorough look at the Zegna corduroy bunches, thus some minor corrections in my recent, pertinent post need to be made:

There are two different offerings in the winter cotton bunch:
a) cotton 100% at 300grams, and
b) cotton 98%, elastane 2% at 350grams (so there is elastane after all).

"Cashco" line: cotton 91%, cashmere 8%, lycra 1%.

Although I asked no prices, I do know that there is a significant price difference between the two basic lines and Cashco, but gentlemen I have to admit now, being fresh in my mind, that the latter is a totally different being... and I did compare LP and Ariston propositions as well.

Perhaps, a position would be as follows: everyday odd trousers, go with one of the basic lines (or LP, Ariston for that matter), SC or suit aspiring a certain aesthetic, one has to consider upgrading to "Cashco" in a "go big or go home" spirit; fabric quality, color shades, hand have to be checked in person!

Cheers,

Dimitris

Maybe cashmere corduroy will be the next thing the LL improves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads