• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Anybody know of a source for the old H. Lesser 9.5/10 oz. Lightweight Fine Worsted?
Plain weave/panama.
Thanks.
You will be a popular guy in some quarters if you figure that out. The last time I saw it in a book was over 10 years ago, and by then all that were left were the really dull, elderly patterns best suited to a Pythonesque chartered accountant.

Your closest equivalent may well be Harrisons Frontier, but partisans will insist on the Lesser superiority.

Last edited:

xizenta

Reaction score
What kind of interlining have you guys used on commissioned fresco/crispaire jackets?

I ordered a full canvas jacket from a new operation a few months ago and just went to the first fitting. I noticed the interlining they were using was black, which is not something I am used to. When I asked about it, they said it was a 100% wool canvas made in Italy and used by Brioni and Zegna (sounds like marketing bs). They said that they couldn't use the typical natural colored canvas because it would show through the fresco weave.

I'm not sure I'm OK without using a canvas with any horsehair content. Also, ironically, they were still using horsehair canvas for the collar. I would be really uncomfortable asking them to redo the canvassing at this point (even though it appears that they have done it the lazy way, by machine).

But I'm curious whether anyone here has experience with this type of interfacing.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What kind of interlining have you guys used on commissioned fresco/crispaire jackets?

I ordered a full canvas jacket from a new operation a few months ago and just went to the first fitting. I noticed the interlining they were using was black, which is not something I am used to. When I asked about it, they said it was a 100% wool canvas made in Italy and used by Brioni and Zegna (sounds like marketing bs). They said that they couldn't use the typical natural colored canvas because it would show through the fresco weave.

I'm not sure I'm OK without using a canvas with any horsehair content. Also, ironically, they were still using horsehair canvas for the collar. I would be really uncomfortable asking them to redo the canvassing at this point (even though it appears that they have done it the lazy way, by machine).

But I'm curious whether anyone here has experience with this type of interfacing.

This is done so you won't see the interlining through the fabric.

xizenta

Reaction score

This is done so you won't see the interlining through the fabric.

I understand that. That's what the tailor said and I am inclined to believe it.

Have you done this? Are you familiar with this type of wool lining? Can you speak to its qualities versus horsehair? Can a horsehair canvas not be dyed to a darker color?

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations on a blue/navy wool herringbone fall/winter weight?

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a jacket made up in the Dugdale Whiterose Caldonaire that is one of my favorites. 13oz but feels quite substantial.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Both of my frescos are built like that. I don't notice any difference, aside from the fact that the canvas doesn't show through.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads