• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've avoided Finnmeresco because of the weight issue. I actually have 3 suits from Minnis 9.5/10 fresco and find it unwearable in summer. Given the way the weather in NY has been the last few years, these suits don't get much wear because the "tween" seasons seem to be about two weeks/year. Though, the navy BlazerSuit
2122.png
jacket gets a lot of wear in NorCal and elsewhere.

When Finnmeresco first came out (2007?) it was all 12 ounces and I thought "this cannot be good." Since then they have added lighter weights, but I've not bought. I was taken by the colors--much better than Minnis--but still, too heavy.

The Minnis 8/9, though, is by far the best thing I own for summer heat. The range is limited and there is only one blue, which is way too dark, but still, the grays are terrific.

I guess it depends on your constitution, but for me, it seems that only winter-heavy and summer-superlight offer good values.

I also find that silk lining is way hot, which puts me at odds with the Rubinacci aficionados, but what can I do.

I love the 9.5/10 fresco.

It's perfect for all but two weeks of the London summer but I agree it's too warm for NYC.

I actually wear it a ton from like Sep - Nov and Mar - May. Unless it's really cold or really warm, it's perfectly comfortable for me.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's perfect for all but two weeks of the London summer but I agree it's too warm for NYC.

I actually wear it a ton from like Sep - Nov and Mar - May. Unless it's really cold or really warm, it's perfectly comfortable for me.

Clearly much depends on ones climate and personal temperature tolerance.

I wish the Smith's was more wearable or that I got darker shades and could use it in the early spring and fall. Alas, I ended up doing tans and olives thinking that fresco = summer. Live and learn.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I like the cloth a lot and the way it performs, but it just doesn't work for me in the heat. The blue jacket is the definitely the most versatile piece, because even in brisk weather, with a shirt under it, it's comfortable. But wearing the pants with it on a windy, 60 degree day--you will feel a chill, no question.

I have a length of some crazy Lesser 14 ounce mohair blend in a fresco weave--it's gorgeous cloth but among the most impractical I've ever bought. I really ought to sell it to someone who's always cold.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the cloth a lot and the way it performs, but it just doesn't work for me in the heat. The blue jacket is the definitely the most versatile piece, because even in brisk weather, with a shirt under it, it's comfortable. But wearing the pants with it on a windy, 60 degree day--you will feel a chill, no question.

I have a length of some crazy Lesser 14 ounce mohair blend in a fresco weave--it's gorgeous cloth but among the most impractical I've ever bought. I really ought to sell it to someone who's always cold.
Interested...not always cold, but...INTERESTED.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Life hack: stop eating iron and become anemic, so you feel cold all the time. That way, you can wear heavier fabrics.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Q: There's a beautiful 15oz. tweed I'd like to have made into a car coat, but fear that the cloth is too light to act as a real winter coat. Would it be possible / sensible to have the tweed lined in a 11oz. moleskin, or would that be inappropriate for a lining?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Q: There's a beautiful 15oz. tweed I'd like to have made into a car coat, but fear that the cloth is too light to act as a real winter coat. Would it be possible / sensible to have the tweed lined in a 11oz. moleskin, or would that be inappropriate for a lining?

Won't that catch?

What about getting a quilted and filled interior? (I imagine that'll add to your cost, but maybe it won't be too bad if you use a tailor in Hong Kong or something).

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have multiple coats that are lined in flannel, both wool and cashmere, and that works quite well. Alpaca is also a great liner material.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
My thought is that moleskin will be a little too dense and unyielding.

Alpaca is great because it can be woven very loose and still insulate well, and it doesn't pill.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Won't that catch?

What about getting a quilted and filled interior? (I imagine that'll add to your cost, but maybe it won't be too bad if you use a tailor in Hong Kong or something).

That was my first thought too.

A quilted lining should work well and will be as warm as anything

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads