1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Feb 10, 2008.

1. ATWright

ATWright Member

Yes, I was thinking about that, though their online photos aren't great, and I hate to badger my tailor. Any way to order samples from them?

2. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Minnis has some fawn flannels. And The Merchant Fox has one in their Limited Editions book.

If you don't need infinite choice or true bespoke sizing, Ben Silver has what appear to be some decent flannels. I fit into their pleats/long-rise chinos pretty well, and if you ask nicely you can get their other fabrics cut in that pattern.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  3. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

I guess since @gdl203 didn't offer up any of the NMWA x Fox Oatmeal flannel that there is none left, but I think that would have been exactly what you may be looking for--an oatmeal flannel.

4. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

No we still have some. It's just more cream/oatmeal than oatmeal/fawn

5. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

Sorry, can we get a picture of this cream oatmeal flannel please?

6. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

In the '90s I had some 50/50 pants from J Crew that were part of suit separables. One of my favorite fabrics. Probably the most comfortable fabric I've worn in hot, humid weather.

I think I still have them somewhere. They were pretty baggy but may make a return soon.

1 person likes this.
  7. MrTRC

MrTRC Senior member

My experience mirrors etostano. I have two suits in W-Li in Taylor&Lodge fabric. One purchased from @edmorel (which i regret not having enough a 3-piece) and the other i sourced myself. Both wear great, has a light lustre in daylight (inoffensive) , looks like linen, drapes very well but with less wrinkles. Both are 9/10 oz but feels heavier

In addition to Kerry Knoll, VBC used to make some Wool-Li - don't know the book though

Ceteris Paribus, blends sans silk generally wear cooler. I have two WSL jackets. One wears unbearably hot but the other wears as cool as the lighter-weight fresco.

1 person likes this.
  8. Concordia

There's another 50/50 suiting by Fox. 8-9 oz--- has some potential.

I got a length of the Taylor & Lodge from Ed before this came up. Now I just have to decide SB or DB, and for which summer I deliver the new baby.

2 people like this.
  9. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Mine were RTW and made from VBC fabric. Haven't found any color as nice since, unfortunately.

@UrbanComposition's flannel DB suit in the East Sicilian tailors thread is made from the NMWA x Fox oatmeal flannel.

10. ATWright

ATWright Member

[​IMG]

I thought these were Steed? @dieworkwear

1 person likes this.
  11. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Oh yea, those are. I thought you were talking about a different pair of trousers.

Those are LBD 39229 from Harrison's flannel bunch.

Color is a bit darker in real life than appears in that photo. You may be better off just giving up on the fawn flannel thing and looking at cavalry twill or whipcord. Better colors in there, so long as you're OK with the weave.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  12. Bespoke DJP

Bespoke DJP Senior member

Dear Gents,

For a more upmarket proposition, Zegna has a pretty handsome fawn flannel in the 14 Milmil 14 book; a great fabric!

Cheers,

Dimitris

13. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

Fox has a nice lightweight flannel in a subtle herringbone in a color I consider fawn. I have it in a suit, but wear the pants separately all the time. Darker than the oatmeal flannel. FS678 S1114/23 is the reference I used when I purchased from Fox, if you want to request a swatch.

14. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Two Shetland tweed yoooge windowpane plaids from Britex.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  15. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Want.

1 person likes this.
  16. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

They had a sale over President's Day. These ended up being about $50 a yard. I went in there looking for solids but I'm a sucker for plaid. I really like how these have a ridiculous scale (about 5x6") but in muted colors.

Almost walked away with a really cool dark green wool nubby herringbone. Alllllmost like a bouclè, but more rustic. The herringbone was hardly noticeable.

17. Concordia

To awaken an old topic, has anyone found a plausible source of Nantucket Red fabric-- either the actual source of Murray's's stuff, or a plausible substitute in something like linen?

Besides this, I mean. :brick:

Unrelated but related question: their website says do not dry-clean trousers. Is that b/c of the cotton, or the some of the extra bits in the construction? I.e., if you had a pair made to order (from someone good), could THOSE be dry-cleaned?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  18. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

Where/how does one access Brite fabrics?

19. double00

double00 Senior member

You walk in. or internet: https://www.britexfabrics.com

i haven't been to Britex in ages, i actually thought it was moving but looking now i guess it's still on Geary/Maiden Ln?

cool shop, but more expensive than it needs to be imo. i used to enjoy going through the remnants and BONUS: the Wright-designed Morris Gift Shop is across the alley in the back! anybody who hasn't been in there should get their ass in and check it out.

20. Knox

Knox Senior member

Anybody had experience with Dormeuil "Fresh Traveler"? I think it's a worsted panama.