• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

U. of Maryland

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My continuing search for an apropos transfer university has led me to the University of Maryland (College Park). It's been on my short list for a while, but I had sort of forgotten about it until someone mentioned it in a post the other day.

Does anyone have any general opinions on the school? It'd be nice to hear alumni comments, but if you have any experience with the school (directly or indirectly) I'd like to hear your thoughts.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what do you want to know about it?
Its a huge school. Lots of people and lots of parties. If you have any particular questions....ask away
My sister goes there

I dont know why you would want to go there if you are paying out of state tuition though?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
what do you want to know about it?
Its a huge school. Lots of people and lots of parties. If you have any particular questions....ask away
My sister goes there

I dont know why you would want to go there if you are paying out of state tuition though?

Well, the SUNY system totally blows. UMCP's close proximity to D.C. and its reputation in public policy/politics make it quite appealing to me.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems good enough, I've been by there a few times. Campus seems nice, I too know a few people over there. Seems like a good enough place over from my uneducated opinion.

JB

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you considered GW or Georgetown?

GW for sure is going to give more finaid then Maryland if you were applying. Its right in the city and its public policy/politics classes/ international affairs school is one of the best. Its more real world based than georgetowns which is more theoretical. GW is the most expensive school in the country and people say they over charge which they do but they dont realize that GW gives a ton of financial aid. Almost everyone who is qualified gets 90 percent of what they need. The campus is in the nicest part of town.

College Park might not give you as much or they may..IDK. But since your out of state I think it would be also worthwhile to apply to GW or Gtown. College Park is also a really ****** area. The campus is nice but the town or city or whatever you want to call it really sucks. The metro ride is about 30-60 minutes on DC depending on traffic....

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd apply to GW but my parents' income disqualifies me from financial aid (I think). If I wanted to go I'd have to take out some student loans which I'm doing my best to avoid.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
College Park is also a really ****** area. The campus is nice but the town or city or whatever you want to call it really sucks. The metro ride is about 30-60 minutes on DC depending on traffic....
QFT. Purely anecdotal, but my gf just got her M.A. there and she HATED everything but the classes--so the people, the campus, the crime, and the parking. It may be less of a pain for an undergrad living on campus. She went there for a good program in her field and a good price (in state). I would recommend going for those reasons, but not for a good college or DC experience.

As ghulkan said, there are plenty of other schools in the area--Gdubs, Gtown, AU, Catholic...

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I'd apply to GW but my parents' income disqualifies me from financial aid (I think). If I wanted to go I'd have to take out some student loans which I'm doing my best to avoid.

Suck it up and take the loans. GW is much better than UM.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
But since your out of state ....
Not the best publicity for GW's academics, although promising as to their acceptance standards
rolleyes.gif

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's also Hopkins.

Don't fear the financial aid maze until you've been through it. The thing with private schools is that the Fed financial aid forms only apply to fed financial aid. So you may not get a grant, but the school may still want you and give you a scholarship.

So in that respect, G'town, GWU, and Hopkins all have an advantage. JH's (graduate) program in international studies may actually be based in DC by the way. But I'm not sure about that.

b

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UMD is a very good school (I graduated from UMD after transferring from Syracuse), cheaper than all the other DC alternatives, has great history, communications, and science programs. College Park isn't much to talk about but DC's really close. Crime in PG County is a problem (even though it's one of the top 40 wealthiest counties in the nation), but people are getting jacked in Georgetown every day, which speaks to crime in DC in general.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
JH's (graduate) program in international studies may actually be based in DC by the way. But I'm not sure about that.

b

It is, just off of DuPont Circle.

abc123

Reaction score
I'm from Maryland (the state), and know a lot of people who went to CP, so I may be able to offer a bit of advice. CP is not the nicest area in the world. I wouldn't call it dangerous, as many do, but it certainly isn't a great college town. Campus is ok - noone I know has ever been super impressed by it. You're really not close enough to DC to get involved in the political stuff (internships, etc.) during school. Frankly, if you're not in-state, I wouldn't consider it.

If you're interested in IR/government, Georgetown is the place to be (I may be biased, as I am a Hoya and come from a family of them, but I think most people would agree with me). The School of Foreign Service is top-notch for both undergrad and grad programs, and the government programs within the College are outstanding. I can't speak highly enough about all of the opportunities that have been opened to me and people I've met by attending there. You'll also have a real basketball team, something MD was sorely lacking last year (
boxing[1].gif
).

GW's IR programs are fine, not as good as GU, but you'll still be right in DC, which has obvious advantages. I don't care for the GW campus (or lack thereof), but thats personal preference. And yes, its absurdly overpriced, but maybe their financial aid is good, I don't know. Its fun to joke about how "GW" stands for "Georgetown Waitlist", but GW really is a fine school and I'm sure you would do well attending there. If it came down to GW and MD, I'd go with GW, even it is ends up costing you more now, I think it would be worth the expense (again, assuming you are paying out of state tuition).

American also has an IR program, that is at least fairly well regarded on the graduate level. Don't know much about it to be honest.

Catholic - I wouldn't bother looking.

abc123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
There's also Hopkins.

Don't fear the financial aid maze until you've been through it. The thing with private schools is that the Fed financial aid forms only apply to fed financial aid. So you may not get a grant, but the school may still want you and give you a scholarship.

So in that respect, G'town, GWU, and Hopkins all have an advantage. JH's (graduate) program in international studies may actually be based in DC by the way. But I'm not sure about that.

b

You're correct, SAIS (JHU's School for Advance International Studies) is around 1800 Mass. Ave. It is a fantastic graduate program, but the undergrad program for that type of field is neither as good as the grad program, nor in DC.

millionaire75

Reaction score
I graduated from Univ of Maryland in 1998. A lot has changed I'm sure since then. My biggest complaint would be that, although a good school academically, outside of the DC/Maryland/Va metro area, the name doesn't carry any weight. I know in NYC, for example, people just see it as another state school. And as another poster mentioned, DC really isn't that close. The bar scene in college park is pretty lame and even the greek scene (which I was a part of) was pretty sh*tty compared to other schools.

It sounds like (from your other posts) that you are having a tough time adapting to college during your freshman year. Remember, transferring isn't always the answer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads