• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo problem

butkusrules

Reaction score
1st off great forum. I'm looking for some advice. I need a tuxedo for my wedding in March. The issue I have is that I wear a 50 jacket and 36-38 pants. I ideally want a peak lapel one button. I have limited funds- under a 1000 for this expense. I cant really buy off the rack because a 50 jacket would come with like a 44 pant which is to big to tailor down. Custom jacket is going to run easily over a 1000. Any thoughts?

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a hell of a drop.

Brooks Brothers and Jos A Bank sell separates. Both will likely go on sale after Xmas.

You will want a good alterations tailor to work on the jacket since it will not be designed for someone with your shape.

butkusrules

Reaction score
Custom brooks brothers suits. But with Wedding/honeymoon and school loans I really cant part with more then a grand for a tuxedo.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think you are in the driver's seat on this one. Tuxedos will not be a priority purchase for many in this economy which means deep discounts. Under a grand there is not a lot of quality or differences in quality but with the abundance of sales, go out and look at the best brands you can find at a great price. You will be better off with a 3000.00 tux at 70% off (900.00 your cost) than anything you will find that retails for 1000.00. This tux will be with you for a long time. Take your time and get a good one. The right one is the jacket that fits the best for your chest and shoulders and has a canvass front, not fused. For your build a fused jacket will be the worst fitting due to no chest shaping due to the construction method. The waist of the jacket and the trouser will need to be reduced. The trouser needs to be recut. Find the best tailor you can and don't skimp on the alterations, but don't be surprised if the alterations run 30 to 50% of what the tux cost. Find a tailor who has the skills to make a suit and not just an alteration person. The alteration cost is worth it if you are starting with a higher end tux and the alteration cost is the same if you buy the 3000.00 tux on sale or a 1000.00 tux but it is not worth the alteration price on a cheaper tux. Best to you and your fiance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads