• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tuxedo problem

butkusrules

Reaction score
1st off great forum. I'm looking for some advice. I need a tuxedo for my wedding in March. The issue I have is that I wear a 50 jacket and 36-38 pants. I ideally want a peak lapel one button. I have limited funds- under a 1000 for this expense. I cant really buy off the rack because a 50 jacket would come with like a 44 pant which is to big to tailor down. Custom jacket is going to run easily over a 1000. Any thoughts?

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoa you have a 14 drop? How have you been managing with suits until now? MTM?

butkusrules

Reaction score
Custom brooks brothers suits. But with Wedding/honeymoon and school loans I really cant part with more then a grand for a tuxedo.

butkusrules

Reaction score
That would work great especially with 25% off now but Brooks only sell notch separates.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think you are in the driver's seat on this one. Tuxedos will not be a priority purchase for many in this economy which means deep discounts. Under a grand there is not a lot of quality or differences in quality but with the abundance of sales, go out and look at the best brands you can find at a great price. You will be better off with a 3000.00 tux at 70% off (900.00 your cost) than anything you will find that retails for 1000.00. This tux will be with you for a long time. Take your time and get a good one. The right one is the jacket that fits the best for your chest and shoulders and has a canvass front, not fused. For your build a fused jacket will be the worst fitting due to no chest shaping due to the construction method. The waist of the jacket and the trouser will need to be reduced. The trouser needs to be recut. Find the best tailor you can and don't skimp on the alterations, but don't be surprised if the alterations run 30 to 50% of what the tux cost. Find a tailor who has the skills to make a suit and not just an alteration person. The alteration cost is worth it if you are starting with a higher end tux and the alteration cost is the same if you buy the 3000.00 tux on sale or a 1000.00 tux but it is not worth the alteration price on a cheaper tux. Best to you and your fiance.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 28 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 257 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 124 15.7%
  • 31 - 40