• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trepanier wins Esquire's Best Dressed Real Man contest

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You guys are aware that the winner was picked well before they arrived at the Rock right? Dan could've worn one of the suggested "lounge suits" in the other thread and he still would have won.

Re: working for every sock...+1...I nearly spit my ($8 a bottle) wine when someone commented earlier that our Ivy educated, "I don't shop in NYC only have my clothes made in Naples", UWS residing litigator, was the "most real". That being said, having the $$ doen't always = stylish chap...it just makes it easier.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
who do you think he is talking to in picture #1? Quite rude of the camera man to take a picture when he is busy like that.

Probably his mum, given he gets all his style tips from her.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
You guys are aware that the winner was picked well before they arrived at the Rock right? Dan could've worn one of the suggested "lounge suits" in the other thread and he still would have won.

You mean they didn't print up that certificate/plaque for DT on the spot?
smile.gif

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... Re: working for every sock...+1...I nearly spit my ($8 a bottle) wine when someone commented earlier that our Ivy educated, "I don't shop in NYC only have my clothes made in Naples", UWS residing litigator, was the "most real". That being said, having the $$ doen't always = stylish chap...it just makes it easier.
+1 I'm not saying Matt should get crap about it, but if people rip on some TB stuff Dan got on sale, then spending 5k on just a jacket as a 27 y/o is just as absurd. For that matter, so is buying John Lobbs and Oxxford suits while still in law school. I wouldn't be surprised if Foo's outfit cost more than the other four guys combined.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Re: working for every sock...+1...I nearly spit my ($8 a bottle) wine when someone commented earlier that our Ivy educated, "I don't shop in NYC only have my clothes made in Naples", UWS residing litigator, was the "most real". That being said, having the $$ doen't always = stylish chap...it just makes it easier.

One can most certainly be "real" or rather, genuine, regardless of social standing. And foo lives on the West Side? That's pretty damn real. I thought he was most certainly in the UES.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
One can most certainly be "real" or rather, genuine, regardless of social standing. And foo lives on the West Side? That's pretty damn real. I thought he was most certainly in the UES.

I guess the definition of "real man" is up for debate, but with the wealth discrepency in this country, it would have been nice to see someone sans trust fund (Dan T) and with an income not in at least 6 figures win. If that principle was applied, the kid who stuttured over an unfairly asked question should have taken the cake...he wore an eBay-ed suit for chrissakes.

Then we have Ontario, whose occupation is listed as "entrepreneur"...that could mean ANYTHING.

I would have liked to have seen a cop (like a few years ago) or firefighter in the final five. Maybe a truck driver or iron worker...but then again, I guess "real men" or my definition of a "real man", wouldn't have time for internet applications nor the patience for egotistic, self absorbed, and narcicistic clowns like us (myself very much included here).

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess the definition of "real man" is up for debate, but with the wealth discrepency in this country, it would have been nice to see someone sans trust fund (Dan T) and with an income not in at least 6 figures win. If that principle was applied, the kid who stuttured over an unfairly asked question should have taken the cake...he wore an eBay-ed suit for chrissakes.

Then we have Ontario, whose occupation is listed as "entrepreneur"...that could mean ANYTHING.

I would have liked to have seen a cop (like a few years ago) or firefighter in the final five. Maybe a truck driver or iron worker...but then again, I guess "real men" or my definition of a "real man", wouldn't have time for internet applications nor the patience for egotistic, self absorbed, and narcicistic clowns like us (myself very much included here).

or teacher?
teacha.gif

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But he just wasn't that well dressed. He was put together, sure; but objectively speaking I can say that even I dress better than he does, and I'm not exactly loaded either.

I just see no reason to make a silly clothing contest into some sort of class war.
I understand where you're coming from; but it defeats the purpose of the contest. I'm sure there are plenty of blue-collar guys who are wonderful, decent people; but they don't tend to dress particularly well. My own father is a retired cop, and while he could certainly win the "Best Dad" or "Helluva Guy" award, I don't think he would be in the running for "best dressed.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess the definition of "real man" is up for debate, but with the wealth discrepency in this country, it would have been nice to see someone sans trust fund (Dan T) and with an income not in at least 6 figures win. If that principle was applied, the kid who stuttured over an unfairly asked question should have taken the cake...he wore an eBay-ed suit for chrissakes. Then we have Ontario, whose occupation is listed as "entrepreneur"...that could mean ANYTHING. I would have liked to have seen a cop (like a few years ago) or firefighter in the final five. Maybe a truck driver or iron worker...but then again, I guess "real men" or my definition of a "real man", wouldn't have time for internet applications nor the patience for egotistic, self absorbed, and narcicistic clowns like us (myself very much included here).
I can't wait for Esquire's Best Dressed Real Leather Man contest.
Glenn.gif

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I didn't like that rugby shirt getup, but Dan's other looks were nails. He deserved to win. You did well, Foo.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
But he just wasn't that well dressed. He was put together, sure; but objectively speaking I can say that even I dress better than he does, and I'm not exactly loaded either.

I just see no reason to make a silly clothing contest into some sort of class war.

I understand where you're coming from; but it defeats the purpose of the contest. I'm sure there are plenty of blue-collar guys who are wonderful, decent people; but they don't tend to dress particularly well. My own father is a retired cop, and while he could certainly win the "Best Dad" or "Helluva Guy" award, I don't think he would be in the running for "best dressed.

Not starting a class war, just saying 95% of America wouldn't think some of these guys are "real". Why not open it up to celebreties and sports stars then?

I know a few guys who would...they just don't have the mentality that we have, they have it inherently...one guy is a NYC garbage man who laughed at me when I told him to enter...my uncle (a retired truck driver) has a wardrobe very similar to Matt's...not custom, but just as minimal and classic (he has a few pair of Alden lws too)...

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NYR, if these friends/relatives/axquaintances of yours didn't bother or care to enter, why are you holding it against Esquire? It isn't their fault who applied. It is called the best dressed "real man" because it does not include fashion industry insiders or celebs who hire people to dress them. All this whining about wanting more "blue collar" people is rediculous considering one of the finalists wore an ebayed suit and another worse Stacy Adams shoes. I guess I just don't see what more Esquire could have done to accomodate your whiny needs.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

The real men I knew fought wars but also wore white tie. They had no problem viewing less powerful men and women as cattle, and slaughtering them figuratively and in some cases literally.

People with a lot of money are just as real as people with less. Too real, in some cases.

Do you mean that cops are more representative of Americans than lawyers? They're not...there about 700,000 town and city cops in the US...but there are twice as many lawyers. I don't know this for a fact, but I bet more people work for WalMart than there are ironworkers erecting buildings. Just a guess. Men in those circumstances might be less masculine than imaginary men, or men who earn money through more physicality, but I tend to think that all possess the same will to good and evil.

Cops and firefighters tend toward different Internet fora, as you would know if you read any bodybuilding forums...which you might. I wouldn't say that bodybuilding is less narcisistic than talking about tailored clothing on the Internet. And firefighters, God bless them, tend have a lot of down time in most municipalities most of the time...this is why many of them have the leisure to cultivate magnificent moustaches and refine spaghetti sauce recipes.

The purpose of a contest in a niche magazine like Esquire is to appeal to the aspirational demographic desired by its advertizers. To merely mirror what is non-aspirational, average, and represenational would seem to be an unwise strategy for a publication devoted to earning money for its owners through entertaining a mass audience with a notions of fantasy escapism.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads