• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top 14 list of shoes under $500 for newbies

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only a person that hasn't handled cj,carmina,tlb, or as would be impressed by magnanni. They're basically odd looking patina'd meermin shoes at inflated prices.
I prefer to wear my shoes on my feet. as opposed to handling them. I like my Magnanni (made for NM), few (4) pairs of AE's, couple of Bruno Magli and Mezlan. Herring Wholecut and some others.Tried Meermin and didn't care for them so sent them back.
All my shoes were well under $300 and some under $200.

I sold these quickly here on Styleforum. Quite unique, great patina and as far as I know Meermin makes nothing like it.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer to wear my shoes on my feet. as opposed to handling them. I like my Magnanni (made for NM), few (4) pairs of AE's, couple of Bruno Magli and Mezlan. Herring Wholecut and some others.Tried Meermin and didn't care for them so sent them back.
All my shoes were well under $300 and some under $200.

I sold these quickly here on Styleforum. Quite unique, great patina and as far as I know Meermin makes nothing like it.

That looks like a pair of shoes that no one should ever wear.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2D47A3B6-A415-4122-A158-4CCDCBE5B861.gif

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can’t say I’m a fan of underbelly wing…, and I guess your usage is carpet to carpet, I walk 700 to 900 miles a year, think any leather sole gets more wear in 5 minutes than that I have to say…

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best valued brands over 500$, according to the gaudishly Gentleman's Gazette.
View attachment 1784214

It's strange ot me to place Allen Edmonds as a brand over 500, because they basically do not make shoes over 500 which are not made of shell cordovan. Moreover, you'd be crazy to buy a pair of their calf shoes for retail, as they are on sale almost every day of the year for around 300 or less. The only time I've ever bought calfskin shoes from them on retail was because I wanted a very specific model and it was a limited run (Broadstreet spectators).

Allen Edmonds is a great brand for ~300ish dollar calf shoes, especially if you have wide feet. Their shell cordovan are also worth shelling out (ba dum dum pssh) for, especially given how many options you have for cordovan shoes, but the only reason those are that expensive is that cordovan is a rarer leather now that horses don't play that big of a role in our economy anymore.

Mirage-

Reaction score
I would love to try some brand like Yearn but no EU reseller means nightmares for me. Same for brands like CNES.
If shops offered DDP I might try them, but I really don't want to spend my weeks trying to recoup VAT if I need to return them because sizing didn't work. In fact, I haven't even been able to figure out with certainty if, let alone how you can do it.
Italian authorities are absolutely terrible regarding communicating rules about VAT and imports.
I once spent an entire day trying to understand how much I would pay in duties ordering some deeply discounted stuff from Yeossal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads