• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top 10 most stylish male icons

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Look back they are both in there.

Did it really take 25 posts to get to the Duke of Windsor?

Ian Fleming
Paul Weller (sometimes, and dodgy barnet aside)
Rod Stewart (obviously not his spandex and cheetah skin phase)
Michael Caine and his old room mate Terrence Stamp
Bowie

I kept the Duke off mine for political reasons.

Reaction score
to throw some unexpected names in here:
bernard henri-levy,
motorcyclist max biaggi (some used to regard him as italy's most eligible batchelor),
usher?
I think a good test is to see if the person's personal style is recognisable in the choices of others i.e. Henri-levy's open charvets and non-traditional sc materials is big in france.

gio3969

Reaction score
Andre 3000? Ryan Reynolds? Are you people serious? Neil Patrick Harris? Please tell me this is some joke that is yet to be revealed to the rest of us.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gio3969
Andre 3000? Ryan Reynolds? Are you people serious? Neil Patrick Harris? Please tell me this is some joke that is yet to be revealed to the rest of us.
Do an image search for Andre Benjamin or Andre 3000. You may not like his style, but he's a stylish man. Ryan Reynolds, makes me a little
confused.gif
NPH is 50/50 - but the fact that he made it cool to "suit up" again is worth points. I'd put him above clooney.

gio3969

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Do an image search for Andre Benjamin or Andre 3000. You may not like his style, but he's a stylish man.

Ryan Reynolds, makes me a little
confused.gif

NPH is 50/50 - but the fact that he made it cool to "suit up" again is worth points. I'd put him above clooney.

Andre 3000 looks like he is in a costume, not at all what a man should aspire to look like. NPH you have got to be kidding me. How anyone can find these men comparable to such style icons as Agnelli or the Duke of Windsor or Steve McQueen boggles the mind. The fact that you care the opinion of the masses regarding suits is silly.

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon

Ryan Reynolds, makes me a little
confused.gif

I want to address this Ryan Reynolds one. I think Ryan Reynolds is very stylish (image search, he's above average most of the time), but I don't think that makes a style icon by any means.

Congrats to him for not looking like ****, but he shouldn't be on the list of "icons".

For someone who I put in the same category as him, see Brad Pitt (except lately, not sure what happened there), Brad Pitt also dresses with style most of the time, but that doesn't make him an icon either because he is not specifically admired for his style and emulated (which I think is an important part of putting someone into the category of "icon".

I now yield the floor to debate.

gio3969

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Sartorial
I want to address this Ryan Reynolds one. I think Ryan Reynolds is very stylish (image search, he's above average most of the time), but I don't think that makes a style icon by any means.

Congrats to him for not looking like ****, but he shouldn't be on the list of "icons".

For someone who I put in the same category as him, see Brad Pitt (except lately, not sure what happened there), Brad Pitt also dresses with style most of the time, but that doesn't make him an icon either because he is not specifically admired for his style and emulated (which I think is an important part of putting someone into the category of "icon".

I now yield the floor to debate.

+1

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gio3969
+1

Before you go agreeing with me too much Gio, I totally support Andre 3000 being on the list. The dude sole-handedly pioneered the preppy look in hip-hop. Being a style icon to other style icons = infinite pimp.

Johnny24

Reaction score
I like the Andre 3000 addition too....he is a pretty stylish, but most people that could never pull off the look are going to hate on him.

My favorites are:

Steve McQueen
JFK
Cary Grant
Connery's Bond
Paul Newman
The Duke of Windsor

I like James Dean too, people who say he just wore jeans and a tee, well yeah for the most part, but he made it cool. If most of the jeans and tee shirt crowd now followed his lead of well fitting and simple combos casual/weekend dressing wouldn't have such a bad rap with the iGent crowd.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does that make Bieber a style icon? I now see Bieber hair all over the place...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads