• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top 10 most stylish male icons

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
I think that in this forum there is going to be a lot of generational bias. I picked my 10 because they each have contributed something to the style milieu.

Originally Posted by JapanAlex01
Andre 3000
Nick Wooster
Poirot

I think I would be stretching if I said Michael Macko.

I don't know why people say James Dean, etc. A T and jeans? *clapping

I should have definitely included Andre 3000 as well. I also want to include Robert Redford.

Style isn't only about dressing up in a suit. I picked James Dean because he made just wearing a T-shirt and jeans stylish. He kept his looks simple but everything always fit perfect. For a lot of guys, that defined their approach to casual style.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We're talking about style icons not trend setters...

I do think the golden years of sartorial elegance are behind us because of our modern lifestyles...

jakejake

Reaction score
I have to say I've learned a lot from you guys. There are definitely many that I didn't know about. No mentions of Steve McQueen or George Clooney?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clooney was on page 1.

I'd give Neil Patrick Harris a nod for the contemporary set.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jakejake
I have to say I've learned a lot from you guys. There are definitely many that I didn't know about. No mentions of Steve McQueen or George Clooney?

Look back they are both in there.

Did it really take 25 posts to get to the Duke of Windsor?

Ian Fleming
Paul Weller (sometimes, and dodgy barnet aside)
Rod Stewart (obviously not his spandex and cheetah skin phase)
Michael Caine and his old room mate Terrence Stamp
Bowie

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
No order...

Yves Saint-Laurent
Hubert de Givenchy
Philippe Noiret
Marcello Mastroianni
Gianni Agnelli
Cary Grant
Clark Gable
Anthony Eden
Tom Wolfe
Bryan Ferry

this is a good list.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I so dislike clicking threads like this that have a list of names and no pictures.

I have no list and, clearly, no pics to add.

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
We're talking about style icons not trend setters...

I do think the golden years of sartorial elegance are behind us because of our modern lifestyles...

I'd like to note that in 99% of cases style icons ARE trend setters. To become an icon, one must be widely recognized and idolized. This naturally lends itself to setting trends. The enduring icons have simply set trends that have lasted for many many years.

I do think that it's a little too early to tell if the golden years of sartorial elegance are behind us. These things come and go and they could just as easily sweep back in the other direction in the coming century.

Luckily for us style encompasses more than just sartorial elegance. I, for one, find the ongoing fusion of sportswear and tailoring, casual and formal to be fascinating although I realize that some on here consider the existing sartorial canon to be sacrosanct, any modification of which should be considered besmirchment.

Considering contemporary style icons is a difficult thing because it takes time to examine their influence. Its the sort of thing that it takes historians to sort out most of the time. Others are more obvious, such as Tom Ford's impact. Whether it ends up being a footnote or a chapter, however, is yet to be determined.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcpony
Gay Talese, Tom Wolfe...
Talese's "lamb ears" lapels say "trying too hard" Wolfe? Like white?
laugh.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Sartorial
I'd like to note that in 99% of cases style icons ARE trend setters. To become an icon, one must be widely recognized and idolized. This naturally lends itself to setting trends. The enduring icons have simply set trends that have lasted for many many years.

I do think that it's a little too early to tell if the golden years of sartorial elegance are behind us. These things come and go and they could just as easily sweep back in the other direction in the coming century.

Luckily for us style encompasses more than just sartorial elegance. I, for one, find the ongoing fusion of sportswear and tailoring, casual and formal to be fascinating although I realize that some on here consider the existing sartorial canon to be sacrosanct, any modification of which should be considered besmirchment.

Considering contemporary style icons is a difficult thing because it takes time to examine their influence. Its the sort of thing that it takes historians to sort out most of the time. Others are more obvious, such as Tom Ford's impact. Whether it ends up being a footnote or a chapter, however, is yet to be determined.

Yes and no...

Setting a trend doesn't make you a sartorial icon...

There is also a mythical and human dimension to it...

Elegance is eternal or timeless if you prefer when being fashion is the graceful expression of a special moment.

That is why Lapo is a trend setter but not a style icon like the great Gianni.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No order...

Yves Saint-Laurent
Hubert de Givenchy
Philippe Noiret
Marcello Mastroianni
Gianni Agnelli
Cary Grant
Clark Gable
Anthony Eden
Tom Wolfe
Bryan Ferry

+ Noiret and Givenchy

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads