• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Mahon out at English Cut?

Roy Al

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes he is. As the leader in Chiltern Street.
Karl
IMG_2889.JPG
IMG_2892.JPG
IMG_2915.JPG
IMG_2897.JPG
is a nice man, and measured me and delivered my last suit from EC. He is concerned about his lovely daughter, which to me is always a plus. I'm not so sure if the shop will survive the loss of Tom. They may end up as just an other high street shop.
Karl has one attendant, called Jonathan ... Still quite young, but also nice.

JCinMSP

Reaction score
I wonder if someone has any more information about this situation, and who is working where.

I started my bespoke wardrobe with Tom and English Cut about 8 years ago. I would travel from Minneapolis to Chicago to meet Tom during his visits to that city. I believe I have a suit, a blazer, and a vest from EC. My wife and I even went to New York one December for a cocktail party Tom hosted at his hotel. Great fun, met Griff who I believe made my blazer, and chatted with some other customers about bespoke.

Some have commented that Tom is returning to the States. Has anyone received an email from him, seen his itinerary, or know what cities he is visiting? I've been working with Steed since Tom quit coming to Chicago, would be curious to know if Chicago is back on Tom's radar.

I also saw a picture on Steven Hitchcock's Instagram account with Steven, Edwin and Matthew from Steed, and Griff. Is Griff working/travelling with Steed, still with EC, freelancing?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if someone has any more information about this situation, and who is working where.

I started my bespoke wardrobe with Tom and English Cut about 8 years ago. I would travel from Minneapolis to Chicago to meet Tom during his visits to that city. I believe I have a suit, a blazer, and a vest from EC. My wife and I even went to New York one December for a cocktail party Tom hosted at his hotel. Great fun, met Griff who I believe made my blazer, and chatted with some other customers about bespoke.

Some have commented that Tom is returning to the States. Has anyone received an email from him, seen his itinerary, or know what cities he is visiting? I've been working with Steed since Tom quit coming to Chicago, would be curious to know if Chicago is back on Tom's radar.

I also saw a picture on Steven Hitchcock's Instagram account with Steven, Edwin and Matthew from Steed, and Griff. Is Griff working/travelling with Steed, still with EC, freelancing?
Paul Griffiths is still with English Cut. Edwin and Matthew are also now English Cut employees.

JCinMSP

Reaction score
Paul Griffiths is still with English Cut. Edwin and Matthew are also now English Cut employees.

So.........Griff is still with English Cut, but not working with Tom, Edwin and Matthew are with Steed AND English Cut, so Griff is working for Steed as well, and Tom is beginning anew. Got it. Who's on first?

Just tell me whose name to out on the check.

Roy Al

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He just told me that he'll be in the US in app five weeks from now, but he didn't tell where in the states - and I didn't ask.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So.........Griff is still with English Cut, but not working with Tom, Edwin and Matthew are with Steed AND English Cut, so Griff is working for Steed as well, and Tom is beginning anew. Got it. Who's on first?

Just tell me whose name to out on the check.
Tom Mahon is no longer associated with English Cut. Edwin and Matthew are employees of English Cut. Steed has been folded into English Cut (my words, not Edwin's or Matthew's, and may therefore not be quite correct). Paul is not working for Steed, he is also an employee of English Cut.

I was told, by Edwin and Matthew, that customers of Steed will see no change (except perhaps faster turnaround times and more frequent visits to the US). If you want to know more about how Steed will be affected moving forward, I think you should ask Matthew directly.

Last edited:

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's Tom's itinerary for his upcoming trip:

Atlanta
Friday 10th November
0900 - 1700
Saturday 11th November
0900 - 1230

Boston
Thursday 16th November
0900 - 1700
Friday 17th November
0900 - 1230

New York
Monday 13th November
0900 - 1700
Tuesday 14th November
0900 - 1700

San Francisco
Tuesday 7th November
0900 - 1700
Wednesday 8th November
0900 - 1700

Griff made for Tom primarily but would also make for Steed. Tom thinks the world of Griff's tailoring skills, and has implied that the cutting and tailoring go hand-in-hand, so it's going to be interesting to see how Tom gets along at Redmayne.

JCinMSP

Reaction score
Here's Tom's itinerary for his upcoming trip:

Atlanta
Friday 10th November
0900 - 1700
Saturday 11th November
0900 - 1230

Boston
Thursday 16th November
0900 - 1700
Friday 17th November
0900 - 1230

New York
Monday 13th November
0900 - 1700
Tuesday 14th November
0900 - 1700

San Francisco
Tuesday 7th November
0900 - 1700
Wednesday 8th November
0900 - 1700

Griff made for Tom primarily but would also make for Steed. Tom thinks the world of Griff's tailoring skills, and has implied that the cutting and tailoring go hand-in-hand, so it's going to be interesting to see how Tom gets along at Redmayne.

Thank you for sharing these dates. Still no Chicago, I see. Pity, would have been nice to catch up with Tom again after so many years.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TM did do something naughty, he took a copy of the customer list... most of which he did build himself prior to the company being formed of course, but still, legally speaking, an asset of the company. And then he emailed those with existing orders (19) and those he considered his personal clients (109) to inform them he was no longer working on the orders but might start his own shop later. He might be in the clear if he had just let them get in touch, or contacted them (from memory, blog database, etc.) without copying the list. It's the kind of small detail you wouldn't think about if you weren't used to dealing with lawyers and "special" clients.

However WW was much naughtier and thus towards the end, HHJ Simon Barker QC lets loose: "[TM] characterised this litigation as oppressive. I regard the scale of this litigation as completely out of proportion. [...] [WW and its companies] revised cost budget [...] totalled more than 600k [GBP] [...] a very substantial sum to expend on a straightforward claim in which the claim form estimates likely entitlement to recovery at 50K to 100K."

The whole thing is worth reading even if you are not a lawyer. Thank you TM for standing up and fighting this out.

Thomson

Reaction score
A very interesting read. Thank you.

So, did I read this correctly - the English
Cut business generated sales of about 250k - later a figure of ca. 350k is mentioned and less than 100 customers ordering that year.

Interesting info as to what a high profile cutter like Thomas Mahon can bring in without the backing of a storied name à la A&S.

Must admit that I would have thought you need more in order to keep such a business running.

Thomson

Reaction score
Looks like White Winston loaded EC with debt and tried to take over the company via a debt to equity swap - not speaking technically here.

They may have underestimated the complexity of made to measure and the importance of personal relationships with the cutter - and overestimated TMs willingness to stay on after selling the business.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads