• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Ford boutique

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone checked out Tom Ford's boutique on Madison? I've walked past it 1/2 a dozen times but it never looks particularly inviting complete with blacked out windows and whatnot. I've always liked his silouhette for Gucci with the strong shoulder, pinched waist and wide notch lapel and it seems his own label is now the only route to go to attain such a garment as Frida Gianna seems to have demolished any elegant menswear post-ford. I found this video on utube that has intrigued me to drop in next time I'm around http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssB_h...page=1&t=t&f=b Any person experiences with this place?? DL

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've never been there myself, but if you do a search here you'll find some old threads on the store. One linked to a New York Times article that seemed to indicate that service can be a bit snobby. All I know is that everything is damned expensive.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been. I believe I walked in disheveled with a Timbuk2 on my back and ratty jeans, etc. The pretention is a little overstated when you're in there; you can walk and browse as you please.

The woman at the greeting desk when I walked in was one of the most beautiful girls I've seen in NYC.

alebrady

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
I've been. I believe I walked in disheveled with a Timbuk2 on my back and ratty jeans, etc. The pretention is a little overstated when you're in there; you can walk and browse as you please.

The woman at the greeting desk when I walked in was one of the most beautiful girls I've seen in NYC.

+1 to the attractive receptionist!

actually, i went in there about a month ago and the sales person was quite helpful and approachable. i told him i just wanted to get a look at some of the things, as i had never been before and he took the time to show me suits (including trying on 4 different jacket styles), ties, and dress shirts without any pressure/sales tactics.

There items are quite expensive but i really liked the cut of the suits and some of the ties. the dress shirts were very hit or miss in terms of style and patterns across the various sizes.

After reading the previously linked ny times article, i was a little hesitant but was very pleasantly surprised with my visit.

I recommend taking a look if you are interested in seeing what they have.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was there last year, I think in June? Everything seemed to be in Black or Coco Powder Brown shades except for a few shirts. It seemed dull and muted. The shoes were plain and in coco brown or black too. Nothing was impressive except a kimono robe in a glass case.

The decor was shiny metal and polished wood. Kinda 70's glitz and not at all my favorite look. What is so cool about copying a 70's playboy look? It isn't exactly original.

With all the nice clothing and shoes offered up and down Madison Ave. I don't think there is any reason to stop at TF except to see it once and then move on.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
If you want to see the Tom Ford stuff w/o dealing with the boutique you can check it out on the 2nd floor of Bergdorf.

sweisman

Reaction score
On another note, does anyone else make a suit cut similar to Ford's, but not at his price tag? I love the strong shoulder, pinched waist etc...Would RL's Black Label be somewhat similar?

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i love the silhouette of Tom Ford's suits, probably the best non-bespoke label doing it right now. That huge peaked lapel w/ the three piece suit oozes 70's decadence and glamour. Add a cigarette (with mouthpiece holder) and a pair of thick black frames or aviators and one is set. I like TF glasses as well, a good friend of mine is in charge of manufacturing them, too bad they don't fit Asian faces as well.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
i read somewhere that originally it was intended to be a 'by appointment only' store, but i think they were just talking it up for marketing purposes. i'm sure they shut it down for certain clients though. i do like the sihlouettes for the most part. everything from the suits to the shapes of the fragrance bottles have this neo-70's feel to it.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I recall the lobby had this gilt crocodile hide, which sounds suitably decadent until you realize a crocodile is not an endangered species.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
041307v.jpg

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
someone please go in there and stealthily get a pic of that receptionist...now i'm curious. What skin tone is she? Hair length/color? body type? style of dress (well, at least her work uniform)? actually it sounds creepy of me to ask, but if i was actually in new york right now as a visitor, i'd probably just go inside the store and request a pic with her, but since i'm not this'll have to do...
frown.gif
Besides, TF store sounds like a place where i can get some special "service" if i be a good customer anyway...i've heard of more happening in stores where i would've expected less LOL

madison avenue

Reaction score
Probably the only store in NYC that I have not visited. I dont really know why. I am a fan of Mr. Ford and his work but with designers like Domenio Vacca for example I rather shell out the money for that type of wear then Ford's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics