• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift Brioni Suit - Real? Fake? Worth it?

thebarsmydestination

Reaction score
I've been experimenting with the Salvation Army this month (after Put This On tipped me off that January was the time to strike).

I'm trying to figure out if this is worth pursuing any further.

The two questions are: Is it a knock-off? I'm no good at judging labels and have zero knowledge of brand history but the off-center "Made in Italy" looks weirdly suspect.

Second: If it's authentic, is it worth taking to the tailor? The stance looks a little low and the lapels are wider than I'm used to and I don't think these things can be altered. Navy is my color of choice and my size is "very tiny" so I jumped at it at the store, since, right? Strike when the iron is hot.

Did I make a twenty dollar mistake, or should I drop another hundred dollars into pursuing this?

Obviously pictures of the thing on me would help make a judgement but I'm camera shy. Any help would be appreciated!

5336155527_ec0dcac145.jpg

5336770320_c68d74cc76.jpg

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert but that looks like an old suit. For the exact reasons you described. Is there really a market to produce fake Brioni? Fake Gucci and Armani I can see, but how many people even know what a Brioni suit is worth?

Matt S

Reaction score
It looks like it could be a real Brioni. The lapels and button stance date it to 10-25 years ago, though it still looks classic Roman. It has no vents, right? Have you ever tried on a Brioni? It has a very unique feel. It's very structured and should feel a bit heavier than the average suit. Of course it should be fully canvassed. Does it fit well? If so, then for $20 it's a great deal.

Merlino

Reaction score
FWIW I believe it's genuine. I'd place it early 90's judging from the lapels (particularly the height of the gorge). If it fits you, who cares whether it's genuine or not though? $20 is nothing for a suit. Heck, if you end up selling/throwing away the jacket and only keeping the trousers $20 is still nothing.

thebarsmydestination

Reaction score
Oh snap. I love your blog.

Yes-- it has no vents. That also puts me off a little bit, since I'm used to vents on everything. I'll upload pictures of myself when I can get them (I don't have a camera with a timer, so it's difficult to get myself in the shot without distorting everything.)

I need to have the waist taken in a couple of inches and the jacket taken in as well-- but unlike everything else in the thrift store, where sizes seem to start at 42 and go up from there, the shoulders were fairly spot on. Usually my adventures at Salvation Army are finding a suit that looks good, discovering that it have wings made of shoulder padding, and being sad. I would probably also have the leg slimmed, but I'm worried that it would throw off the balance of the suit?

Obviously it's impossible to provide input on these thoughts without seeing a photograph of me, but I'm thinking aloud. On the internet, but aloud all the same.

Is it possible to raise the button stance? Or, more importantly, is it practical?

thebarsmydestination

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
dont pursue stuff simply because of a name

Well said. My defense is-- I think when one is starting out it's difficult to identify quality in the nuts and bolts of an item. You can kind of trust fit and styling to instinct; "does this look good or not?"

As far as identifying quality in construction and material I think it takes a bit of learning-- handling and wearing something that you can trust. I've caught myself saying, "This material feels really nice," only to discover it was some weird polyester or rayon blend.

And as far as styling and fit goes, it's my understanding that even if you're still working on developing your eye for what's good and timeless (like I am) there are some makers that you can use as shorthand. Some people weathered the 80s and 90s with more dignity and grace than others.

Does that make sense? I'm sort of learning by doing, or trying to.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Merlino
FWIW I believe it's genuine. I'd place it early 90's judging from the lapels (particularly the height of the gorge). If it fits you, who cares whether it's genuine or not though? $20 is nothing for a suit. Heck, if you end up selling/throwing away the jacket and only keeping the trousers $20 is still nothing.

This is great advice! At worst you have a pair of slacks.

Regarding genuine item or not: It is genuine. As for age of suit, it is probably 20years old. I would not worry about it being dated or not - does the suit look good on you? A suit does not have to have vents to look good. If suit does not look good on you, chuck the jacket and keep the slacks.

altie

Reaction score
Nice find. Fit pics? I doubt the lapels are wide enough to make it look really dated.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice looking suit, and a great buy. Wear it. Enjoy it.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how do you feel about the ventless jacket?

thebarsmydestination

Reaction score
I've never really experimented with double vents or ventless. Just about all of the jackets and suits I've ever owned have been single vent. I know that they're supposed to change the shape of the jacket but I'm not really sure HOW. Once I get it tailored to fit I guess I'll find out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads