1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on the Sartorialist

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TheBatman, Jul 27, 2016.

1. YoungM

YoungM Senior member

Given that we disagree on this (and that you don't see it as a disagreement, but are sure that it's dishonesty on my part), there is obviously no space for discussion between us. Given how intelligent you clearly are, I'm surprised you don't see that.

2. TheBatman

TheBatman Well-Known Member

Well at least we are back on topic. So you are saying that the picture in question, the dude in the makeup and manbun, looks good?

3. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

problem is the arguments you put forward are ridiculous.

-appeals to authority (wtf does 'pleasing to the senses' even mean? whose senses?) that anybody with any genuine creative experience realises is utterly spurious
    -'backed up' with reference to a hilariously predictable DWM western-centric canon

it's surely evident that reactionary bullshit like the stuff you're spouting would lead to utter creative stasis, whether in art, music or fashion.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    2 people like this.
  4. TheBatman

[​IMG]
    Yikes! This is like watching a monkey trying to drive a car. You obviously have no idea what an "appeal to authority" is. I would have to teach you how to argue properly before actually arguing with you, which does not interest me. But keep going! This is wonderful entertainment.

5. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

you really are an annoying little fucker aren't you. ever hear of wittgenstein and 'ordinary language'?
    anyway, answer the question

6. TheBatman

"When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser."

- Socrates

Now THAT is an appeal to authority.

7. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Jesus Christ, it's hard to get through your writing.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Your opinion is not well formulated. If I were still and academic, and were grading your OP as a paper, I would give you a C-, tops.

You jump from one unsubstantiated opinion to another, and then end with this whopper of a thesis: "Rather, is it that the same qualities that make one more conservative or monetarily successful also make one less likely to wear makeup and a man bun?" (And yes, your sentence structure is clumsy. If you can't agree to that, then I'll need to send you back to take remedial English classes).

Here's something to get you started. When no-one else agrees with your premises, then it's on you to put forth an argument that shows that your premises are valid. In all your posts, you've never once even attempted to tell us why we should accept your premises. Start with that.

1 person likes this.
  9. TheBatman

Ok, here we go. "If I were still an academic" (I fixed your spelling error). I assume you are trying to hint that you were at one time some kind of academic, which could mean anything from high school English teacher to college professor. If you are trying to suggest to me that you are some kind of authority on the English language, OK, I'll bite. Why don't you just go ahead and tell me what your occupation was?

I'll tell you mine. I'm a psychologist. You probably don't believe me, and I probably won't believe you, but I have no problem just outright saying it. That calculated slip of the keyboard is obvious and cowardly.

10. TheBatman

Yeah. Reading is hard.

11. dieworkwear

Nice ninja edit on a subtly racist comment.

5 people like this.
  12. TheBatman

Haha. So making a joke is racist? I actually thought that my newer comment was funnier. But if you prefer the other one, I'll go ahead use both for your pleasure.

yeah. dis readin' thang is hard.

13. dieworkwear

The joke is that someone who speaks with that kind of slang is stupid, so yes, it's subtly racist.

Anyway, I don't know which of your impossibly difficult posts to quote, but to get at your assertion that people can only like his outfit in PC terms:

Fashion is obviously social. Putting together an outfit isn't just about mixing and matching colors and shapes. You're putting together things that send a social message. It sounds like you're into classic men's clothing (I think, since your previous posts are all about Allen Edmonds or whatever), so this kind of connection must be obvious to you. Especially in traditional tailored clothing, clothes are about place, occasion, levels of formality, tradition, etc. All fashion is about social language, but nowhere moreso than in traditional menswear.

So, in that sense, it's not odd at all that someone could like that guy's outfit in terms of gender bending. I don't know his sexuality, but he's obviously genderqueer since he's not conforming to gender norms. If someone finds that politically or socially interesting, they'll like that. Or they'll at least like some form of that dressing.

That's not being PC; that's just understanding that fashion is social.

Can't tell if you think everyone should conform to traditional modes of beauty. Seems like that would be a stupid position to take, but you've said a lot of stupid things.

14. TheBatman

Incidentally, it seems that you are the person who has racial hangups. I said nothing of race. I only insulted you by re-framing your comment as an admission of an inability to read due to stupidity or ignorance. Now, I am only joking. Obviously you can read. But for some reason you took that innocent joke as a racial slur?

Now that is interesting. What race do you attribute stupidity and ignorance to? What race comes to your mind when someone brings up stupidity and illiteracy? I would suggest you get this handled. This is 2016. Being a racist is unbecoming of you.

15. TheBatman

No, I never said people SHOULD conform to traditional modes of beauty. I am a libertarian. I would never suggest someone needs to do or not do anything. I do feel that it is self evident that the photo in question is not pleasing. I also believe that people who claim it is pleasing are doing so only because it is a faux pas to criticize gays and transgenders. I personally do not care what a person does in their personal life. It is a non issue to me, so I don't know why so many people want to bring it up. Ugly is ugly, whether you are gay, straight, gender queer, Borg, Vulcan, whatever.

16. dieworkwear

OK. Cool. You don't like it.

17. TheBatman

And one more thing, not sure if I am on good terms with you or not (I have already been blocked by one "pearl clutcher", as I call those who are so easily offended [​IMG]) but who is that in your avatar. I thought it was Gregory Peck for 2 days! But now I see it isn't. The face is familiar, but I can't quite place it.

18. derrida26

derrida26 Senior member

clearly people have different feelings about the fit, and I could see a number of reasons for either disliking or liking it. so it's a little ridiculous to say that it is "self evident" that the photo is not pleasing when many people have different "feelings" about it. saying that everyone that likes it is just brainwashed by lgbt thought is pretty disingenuous—it would be just as easy for everyone to claim that you've been mindwashed by western heteronormativity or whatever.

so maybe a starting point: what do you even mean by "ugly"?

19. TheBatman

First, writing that something is "a little ridiculous" is like saying something is "a little extreme." The qualifier makes the statement meaningless.

You are correct sir. I am operating under the assumption of the superiority of Western European values. These include aesthetic values, philosophical values, political values, etc. So traditional Western European/American sartorial values reflect what is naturally beautiful. So what deviates from these classical values is "ugly." Of course, if all values are relative then these judgemental terms are meaningless.

Of course, I assure you that neither your nor anyone else is a true relativist. Unless you would say living in a Western democracy is the same as living under Sharia Law. We are all objectivists - we just differ on where we draw the line.

So tell me sir, the dude in the manbun and makeup. Does that look good to you?

20. TheBatman

For the love God, can you all at least admit this is ridiculous? I am stunned at y'all's inability to state that which is painfully obvious.

[​IMG]