• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a colleague go MIA for a few days after we spoke about a project. He calls me on day four to discuss the project as if we'd never spoken. Says he was in the hospital for three days for acute alcohol withdrawal because he "stopped drinking" his customary 1-2 glasses of wine for a day or two. He ended up crashing his company car due to the withdrawal, thankfully not from being under the influence.

I've dealt with addiction in my family and friends over the years but genuinely wonder if he truly didn't know he was an alcoholic or if he was playing dumb. Seems prudent to just make something up. Why even mention alcohol withdrawal?
Lol. That dosage wouldn't give a lab rat the DTs. Bro was lying, but making sure to place himself in a somewhat protected category.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Total Wine, except with Total Wine it means just kidding we have no idea what our website is talking about
SO irritating. I've only ever gotten truly railroaded a few times, but such an irritant.

It is possible the stocked bottles are up in the stacks, but such an almighty pain.
That seems a stretch to me. For people looking for the parallel, sure, it is close enough, but without prompting, I wouldn't have even considered it looks like the SS bolts.
Same here, mostly. As well, how many soccer players wear 44 lol? The end of year 17 year old callups?
Idk. When I first saw the numbers I thought SS bolts.
I'd say it was totally innocuous, but when I saw the tweet* I 100% thought SS as well. It is Adidas and Germany after all...but more likely than not this is just another case of social media ruining everything and/or folks having way too much time to do the twitter

*this could also just speak to the depravity of my baseline thinking, so one's mileage may vary.
I had a colleague go MIA for a few days after we spoke about a project. He calls me on day four to discuss the project as if we'd never spoken. Says he was in the hospital for three days for acute alcohol withdrawal because he "stopped drinking" his customary 1-2 glasses of wine for a day or two. He ended up crashing his company car due to the withdrawal, thankfully not from being under the influence.

I've dealt with addiction in my family and friends over the years but genuinely wonder if he truly didn't know he was an alcoholic or if he was playing dumb. Seems prudent to just make something up. Why even mention alcohol withdrawal?
Wait...was he lying IRT consumption amount? I thankfully cannot speak from anything close to experience, but that seems wild.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol. That dosage wouldn't give a lab rat the DTs. Bro was lying, but making sure to place himself in a somewhat protected category.

Wait...was he lying IRT consumption amount? I thankfully cannot speak from anything close to experience, but that seems wild.

He was clearly full of sh1t but it always struck me as odd that he just didn’t hide the fact that alcohol was even a factor. I’d assume most alcoholics are good at hiding their addiction so why even bring it up? He could have said he had the flu and was dehydrated. Anything other than withdrawal seems reasonable. Our team is spread out across the country. Nobody would have been the wiser about the accident.

@Omega Male brings up a plausible reason with the protected category. That makes a lot of sense.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, so what’s the likelihood that a person who takes the third TimTam in the row is a fukking psychopath?

To illustrate, the fine people at Arnotts package their treats in a clean, symmetrical queue of delicious chocolate biscuits when you open the package. If you take not the first, not the second, BUT THE THIRD biscuit…you are the kind of person that gets convicted of stabbing someone 47 times, amirite??

Please halp because I sleep with such a person …

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As someone who (attempts to) manage 13-14 year olds for a living, I can say this looks like a person learning or trying to take responsibility for his actions. It seems like they're ready to admit that they are partially responsible, but taking full responsibility would be too harmful, too much of a shock to their self-image, hence the lie/half truth.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He ended up crashing his company car due to the withdrawa
I have a true alcoholic friend since 6th grade who moved to Texas.
I remember finding him lying face first in a pool of Southern Comfort vomit in the 8th grade.

He wrecked his company car, but it was still barely drivable. He started parking a block or two away and walking to the office to keep it on the down low since there had been other "incidents".
One day the receptionist said, "oh I need your keys today"....."why?"......"you guys are getting new company cars"........"you know what? I want to just keep the one I have, I REALLY like it"

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember finding him lying face first in a pool of Southern Comfort vomit in the 8th grade.

He wrecked his company car, but it was still barely drivable. He started parking a block or two away and walking to the office to keep it on the down low since there had been other "incidents".
One day the receptionist said, "oh I need your keys today"....."why?"......"you guys are getting new company cars"........"you know what? I want to just keep the one I have, I REALLY like it"
At least he saved his company some money by not getting a new car.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Another company car story. Guy lived & worked in Manhattan so he didn't drive his car much. He'd go months without using it, electing to use the train. Car needed service or a recall and for some reason he never did it.

Turns out he was arrested in a prostitution sting somewhere in NYC and his car had been impounded for six months and he couldn't get it back because it wasn't registered in his name, but rather the leasing company's name. Employer eventually found out and subsequent email announces that he's no longer with the company.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to sea sucks. Working as a senior officer sucks more. There's almost zero joy in my days. Every year, **** just gets worse.

The world doesn't stand still. I finish my hitches and return home so spun up, it takes a solid month to feel grounded, another month to find rhythm, and then it's back out. My time home is consistently sucked up with required (and unpaid) training.

Every day is a 12-14 hour work day. **** gets old.

I miss trees, puppies and boobs.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to sea sucks. Working as a senior officer sucks more. There's almost zero joy in my days. Every year, **** just gets worse.

The world doesn't stand still. I finish my hitches and return home so spun up, it takes a solid month to feel grounded, another month to find rhythm, and then it's back out. My time home is consistently sucked up with required (and unpaid) training.

Damn...

I'm cancelling my application for cruise ship bartender immediately.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How hard is it to move to a shore-side role in operations or vessel management or something like that? You sound burnt out, mate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads