• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cruise ship bartender may be fun! That would be a very different work tempo. You aren't really dealing with the same things, at all.

The thing is, I actually don't want to work in a shore-side capacity at all within the industry. The headaches are numerous, and overall, I'm tired of the overarching culture.

I work in a very-specific industry subset. My work has been more defense-related than commercial. So I'm hoping I can land a good management role within the defense industry.

I check a lot of boxes, so we will see what comes of it. I figure if I can deal with problems at sea, I can deal with problems on land. I definitely need a better work-life balance.

Sometimes I do 120+ days working 12-14 hours a day. You don't exactly pop out of that mindset once you're home. It's like a strange sort of depression that lingers for a few weeks--you're someone at sea, but that importance falls away when home.

My mental sense of time also becomes distorted. I've sailed 250 days straight once, looking back it feels like nothing. Everything is the same, with no personal markers or significant days to differentiate time.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your job too, is never guaranteed. You can work with a company for 10+ years and then just not get called back. You are laid off once you depart the vessel, so there is not really any employment protection or right to rehire.

You also eventually become so niche that lateral movement is difficult and upward movement to a different company extremely rare. You can sail master with one company, and then have to start as a 2nd officer with another company and work back to your rank.

This caveat seems very different from most other industries.

Going to sea has built me up, but I do feel it is time to take the skillet and move forward. I don't want to get trapped out here.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My mental sense of time also becomes distorted. I've sailed 250 days straight once
My boss, who's also one of my best friends, ( I knew him years before I worked for the company ), was a merchant marine in his younger days.
He told me one famous story of when he got called up to the bridge to steer, drive??
And he was on a full acid trip at the time...

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steering is more of a grunt-work task. Though more-specialized vessels, mates will drive during critical operations (such is the case with me).

Gone are those wild days, which is probably for the best. But EVERYTHING is regulated and managed. There is a log for everything.

I handle crewing, pay, mountains of paperwork, cargo, safety ****, port papers, customs, manage inventories and engineer plans. There's always training.

Most of the day is spent in an office, beating your head against a keyboard. I honestly enjoyed sailing more without a license versus with one. Painting **** and driving cranes was in many ways more satisfying.

There's very little sense of adventure. I rarely leave the ship in port. There's always more work alongside than underway, plus most ports aren't close to city centers anymore. There's a few places we call where it's easy to walk to something, but that's rare and will get only rarer.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really wanted to laugh but somehow, hearing that actually made my brain hurt a little. A furled eyebrow smile is best I can do.

Coincidentally my wife had some spare fresh dill a couple days ago and so we unexpectedly whipped up fresh tzatziki for the first time. Turned out great. At risk of having to turn in my Greek card, I can confirm that adding some of that freshly toasted Nan bread (from Costco, natch) was a clutch move. Paired with it even better than many a pita.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
My brother in law was in a cycling accident >2 months ago and has been in a coma since then. No idea what happened, a good samaritan called 911 but left no info.

He's breathing on his own, so they are getting ready to transfer him to a skilled nursing facility in a few days. It really doesn't look good for much further recovery unfortunately.

Life is short and we are fragile things.

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^that's rough, me and my friends used to be big on downhill mountain biking when we were younger, and one of my friends took a really bad fall, spine fractured in several places, face looked like raw hamburger, etc.

He's fine now but it was a fluke that he's not paralyzed from the waist down.

brokencycle

Reaction score
My brother in law was in a cycling accident >2 months ago and has been in a coma since then. No idea what happened, a good samaritan called 911 but left no info.

He's breathing on his own, so they are getting ready to transfer him to a skilled nursing facility in a few days. It really doesn't look good for much further recovery unfortunately.

I'm sorry to hear that. That's rough.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That's terrible.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So sorry to hear that. As a cyclist, that’s one my biggest fears. A kid I grew up riding with got hit by a car in our 20’s and recovered physically but was never the same again. What seemed like a relatively minor head injury 25 years ago changed his life significantly.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jesus Weezus, man. That's gutting. So sorry.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is awful, I hope he can bounce back somehow. Sorry, man.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Articles should include more pictures than they do. For instance, I subscribe to a newsletter and it was mentioning the launch of a new ship to help build offshore wind farms that was absolutely massive. Who doesn't want to see an absolutely large ship? Well I click into the article and no picture but it does give me dimensions which are meaningless to me. Give me the pictures!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every year around this time I am reminded that the SALT deduction is capped at $10,000 and I get very, very angry. Republicans never met a tax that they didn't want to cut, so it was not about preserving government revenue. It was about giving high-tax blue states (and cities in my case) a big middle finger.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads