• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Thanks for the well wishes guys. It's not happening. I live in one of the areas that was hit very hard by the current RE market, and banks are indeed running scared. So while this was great for me buying my land cheap, it's killing the build project. I'm looking at needing 40% of the LTC (loan to cost) and I have about 30% to commit. The piss off is, it'll take 12-18 months to save the next 10% and I bet by then, markets probably will have loosened up and 30% into the deal will do it
frown.gif
On the silver lining side, leaning heavily to the GL450 lease now vs. Tundra buy
smile.gif

****. Sorry, Pio. The few always have to bend over on account of the many.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
But...but...THIS IS 'MURKA!!!

1american_flag_and_eagle.jpg

Last time I checked an atlas, Canada was part of North America. It's just not a state.

Pio: sorry to hear this didn't work out. Out of curiosity, why are you seeking the self-inflicted wounds of building instead of buying?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscotti
Calculus. I'm pretty sure this class is going to make me switch from engineering to economics.

For which you should also be taking calculus. Sorry.

b

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I love this avatar more and more, every day.

Always thought Stormare shoud have been nominated for and AA for that short, bit powerful role.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

lefty

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas

Pio: sorry to hear this didn't work out. Out of curiosity, why are you seeking the self-inflicted wounds of building instead of buying?

It seemed like a good idea. /shrug.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
For which you should also be taking calculus. Sorry.

b

Well, it depends on the school. At my undergrad a B.A. in econ didnt require calc. but the B.S. did. Overall though, if you want to have a career as an economist or go to grad school for econ, you need to know the calc.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Its 11:00 pm saturday night here in Manila. We are experiencing the worst flooding in the metropolis' history as I type this.

The rainfall brought by typhoon 'Ondoy" to Metro Manila and nearby areas in a span of six hours on Saturday was the most in recorded history, surpassing the previous record for the metropolis in 1967. Hurricane Katrina dumped over an inch of rainfall in Louisiana for 3 hrs and another 0.5 inches per hr over the next 5 hrs on Aug 29, 2005. Ondoy dumped an average of 2.24 inches per hr for six hours.

I was stuck in the car inbetween 2 flash floods the whole day, but at least I made it home. My wife can't drive out of her office, and it looks like she's gonna spend the night there. I'm watching the news and updates online right now and it looks like armageddon out there. A lot of people died and I'm sure more will be discovered when morning comes. A lot of people are still stuck in their homes while rescue teams are still overwhelmed by the number of people trapped in their homes. This country imho is well-prepared for storms since we get dozens of storms a year, but this one is really bad.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Acidicboy, really sorry to read this...

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
For which you should also be taking calculus. Sorry. b
I will add to Bob's sentiment here from a different angle. Calculus gives you a really important framework for thinking about quantitative problems. It provides you a certain intimacy with the structure of the mathematical constructs we use to bring chaos into forms we can use to understand, predict, and even manipulate events and constructs. Calc is hard because it isn't a purely mechanical process, to, say, choose what factorization you will use when doing integration by parts. There is a lot of feel to it, reasoning from general to the specific, and that's one of the reasons Calc is a practical application of skills that help the competent get ahead -- because it's rarely the uber-geeks, and rarely the uber-visionary: it's those who have vision but can also back it up. Calculus is the structure of ideas in any quant discipline -- why do you think all the IBs hire Engineering grads? So I would suggest you learn to love it, and if your Prof isn't that good, just like in all of education it's up to you to step up to the plate and bring something to the study and the discipline. The working world, for certain, is all about bringin it. I give you this as an Engineer who doesn't really enjoy doing math. At all. But I have a really good understanding of how it works, which not only helps me day-to-day, but helps me, bigtime, on the ladder.
Originally Posted by philosophe
Grading papers. Freshman prose really gets me down. Bad graduate student papers are even worse.
Writing and Math are two areas I wish we could inspire some passion. I had only three Phil courses in undergrad, fairly esoteric areas I could get into without Phil101, and they were an awesome diversionary challenge from ^^ stuff. But, to me, they were just as important from a broadening of the mind perspective. I use phil in engineering design daily. It's all connected. I have in my closet a huge corkboard for miscellany. One item there is one of my phil papers -- the notation at the end of it is "thank you ever so much - A." One of my proudest moments. I am going back to speak at my Calc professor's classes - I am going to try and inspire them to disbelieve the lie they have been told, that education is about product. I thought it was, too, and then I found out that it was a process story, and that understanding really made a difference in my life and opened a lot of doors. You gotta bring it. ~ H

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wife is still getting her nails done. have to drive to bklyn to get my mom to come over and watch the kids. we have a wedding in princeton at 5pm.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
wife is still getting her nails done. have to drive to bklyn to get my mom to come over and watch the kids. we have a wedding in princeton at 5pm.
lol. I can only imagine how happy you are today.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Its 11:00 pm saturday night here in Manila. We are experiencing the worst flooding in the metropolis' history as I type this.

I was stuck in the car inbetween 2 flash floods the whole day, but at least I made it home. My wife can't drive out of her office, and it looks like she's gonna spend the night there. I'm watching the news and updates online right now and it looks like armageddon out there. A lot of people died and I'm sure more will be discovered when morning comes. A lot of people are still stuck in their homes while rescue teams are still overwhelmed by the number of people trapped in their homes. This country imho is well-prepared for storms since we get dozens of storms a year, but this one is really bad.

really sorry to hear this. good luck

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
bought my mother a new day runner when she was visiting me this week. every few years she tells me how she can't find a this model anywhere, and then I buy her one. cost me about 50 bucks. and she lost it somewhere already.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Some serious stuff in this thread lately, so mine seems dumb as hell, but why does every kind of hand soap to refill a pump thingy smell like something awful or feel gross on my hands except one kind I can never find? I keep smelling something and it reminds me of bad perfume, and it's my damn hands, and I have like 64 oz. of this crappy soap to go through now. Yuck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads