• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Worst Look

Ecstasy

Reaction score
I feel the market for cheap, fast-fashion style suits (insanely tight, short jacket, tiny lapels, etc) is growing as younger people think they look sharp and dressed up in them. Essentially club/going out gear.

This does not translate to bespoke or mtm tailors for the most part.
That is just the Disposable Age.

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to the wedding of a friend I grew up with this past summer and THREE guys were unintentionally wearing the same exact outfit - a black suit with a lime green shirt and a lime green tie. I kid you not!

At times I feel like I have exited the matrix and others are still stuck in it. When I start to feel guilty about how much I spend on clothes I can't help but think of the dire alternatives.

Last edited:

Balfour

Reaction score
^ Why would you even want to settle for 'wearable'? Unless budget is an issue, why not donate it to a charity shop and wear shirts you actually like?

(I wouldn't wear that colour myself, but am
foo.gif
re. shirts.)

Last edited:

Willin

Reaction score
You could save it and make it work for a streetwear type shirt if you dabble in that style. I can't imagine it working too well in a professional setting without standing out for all of the wrong reasons.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I got a mtm shirt from mytailor in this color accidentally. Meaning their swatch showed a mint green vs what shipped to me, more resembling the below color shirt.

ALWAYS get swatches. Always.

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah this is my first mtm shirt. The fit is outstanding (pats on back for measuring), but the color, yikes. I want to like the shirt just because how well it fits and the fact that I paid $70 for it. I've got a couple more mtm shirts in the pipeline from other companies so I may just use this as a learning lesson as noted above, to always get the swatches. I wonder if I can save it for under sweaters
sly.gif

lwmarti

Reaction score
I feel the market for cheap, fast-fashion style suits (insanely tight, short jacket, tiny lapels, etc) is growing as younger people think they look sharp and dressed up in them. Essentially club/going out gear.

This does not translate to bespoke or mtm tailors for the most part.

This reminds me of my wife's comment after seeing the men's suits in the most recent J. Crew catalog: "They really ought to use models who look good in suits."

steveabdn

Reaction score
Afternoon folks,

Apologies but I haven't ahd time to read the whole thread and so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet. I live in Scotland, a particularly drab and wet part of the world (not without beauty it must be said) but the weather here is permanently poor at best. This being the case many people my age (late 20-s to early 30's) have decided to wear shirt, tie and trousers but then some sort of anorak for functionality, it looks terrible! Nice coat and an umbrella and most of them would be fine!!

Ivar

Reaction score

Yeah this is my first mtm shirt.  The fit is outstanding (pats on back for measuring), but the color, yikes.  I want to like the shirt just because how well it fits and the fact that I paid $70 for it.  I've got a couple more mtm shirts in the pipeline from other companies so I may just use this as a learning lesson as noted above, to always get the swatches.  I wonder if I can save it for under sweaters :sly:

This might sound unorthodox, but what I do when I sit on nice shirts in slightly "off" colors (it sometimes happens with blind buys) is that I bleach the dickens out of them until they take on a nice greige color. I then either use them as is -- greige goes well with autumnal tweeds -- or I re-dye them. If you choose the re-dyeing option, just remember that many shirtmakers use synthetic threads for the stitching, which means that the stitches will always retain their color no matter how much dye you apply.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads