• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Worst Look

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another professor here who wears jacket and tie, but just as often suits, while at work. All my pictures here are taken in my office. And yes, I do have and wear a 3-piece tweed suit, sometimes with a bow tie, in the winter. In fact, I have several 3-piece suits that I wear regularly. People do comment but only ever positively. Of my colleagues, the women tend to dress much better than the men, but I am in a Sociology Department... oh, and I never use a shoulder strap when wearing a tailored jacket, it looks terrible.

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You know, interesting that you mention the women dressing better than the men. One of the things that motivates me to not get lazy with my appearance is that my GF is an exceptional dresser. All around town I see women who wear nice clothes, shoes, and so on, out with men who wear cargo shorts and t-shirts. I never wanted to be one of those guys who looks like a scrub, next to a woman who looks exceptional.

Oh, and I look awesome wearing a tailored jacket with a bag slung over the shoulder.

Willin

Reaction score
I went to the wedding of a friend I grew up with this past summer and THREE guys were unintentionally wearing the same exact outfit - a black suit with a lime green shirt and a lime green tie. I kid you not!

At times I feel like I have exited the matrix and others are still stuck in it. When I start to feel guilty about how much I spend on clothes I can't help but think of the dire alternatives.

AMProf

Reaction score

Another professor here who wears jacket and tie, but just as often suits, while at work. All my pictures here are taken in my office. And yes, I do have and wear a 3-piece tweed suit, sometimes with a bow tie, in the winter. In fact, I have several 3-piece suits that I wear regularly. People do comment but only ever positively. Of my colleagues, the women tend to dress much better than the men, but I am in a Sociology Department... oh, and I never use a shoulder strap when wearing a tailored jacket, it looks terrible.

A couple of years back a major business school conference and sociology conference fell in the same city in hotels adjacent to each other. I was there with a colleague who was a member of both organizations (organizational sociologist, teaching in a b-school), and we had a fun time sitting at the hotel bar identifying the sociology professors and the b-school professors by their clothes (she in particular felt she could make the judgment just by looking at the women's shoes).

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were a professor, I would seriously wear three piece tweed suits all the damn time. I mean, its one of the few places you can do it and not look completely out of place. What's the worst someone is going to say, "you look like a professor?"

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One guy's girlfriend was neck-breaking hot. Kill me.

I think it is pB that had the theory that women notice flashy stuff--loud ties, shirts, etc. Seems like a reasonable theory IMO.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were a professor, I would seriously wear three piece tweed suits all the damn time. I mean, its one of the few places you can do it and not look completely out of place. What's the worst someone is going to say, "you look like a professor?"

I dress deliberately like this because 1. very few professors do any more, if indeed they ever did, and it's almost radical to do so now but at the same time, it still says 'professor' to most people; and 2. I can. Academia is one of the few areas where you can wear pretty much whatever you want, with some exceptions like Business and Law schools, which tend to follow (or at least make a nod to) the norms of the professions they serve.

NefariousSabatour

Reaction score
Ugh, I do the suit and no tie thing often.

I have a reason though...

I'm a sales exec that meets with high level IT execs. These guys are usually in button downs and slacks. Showing up with no jacket is dressing down feels like I'm going in there naked while wearing a tie gets a lot of "casket salesman" jokes and a general level of discomfort in my clients. I absolutely hate it, but I've found that the suit and no tie strikes a balance and these guys aren't exactly great dressers themselves.

But really, the only thing that matters is getting paid.

lwmarti

Reaction score
And yet, speaking to most sales persons in the better stores in SanFrancisco, one hears the
Mantra, "the suit is coming back", "the suit is coming back"... Based on my own observations,
both in the City and Silicon Valley, these sales persons are hallucinating.
That matches perfectly with what I've heard from a couple of tailors in NY recently. Both of these guys owe a significant fraction of their business to making tailored suits, and neither see that part of their business growing. The exact opposite, actually. And they don't anticipate it coming back any time soon.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That matches perfectly with what I've heard from a couple of tailors in NY recently. Both of these guys owe a significant fraction of their business to making tailored suits, and neither see that part of their business growing. The exact opposite, actually. And they don't anticipate it coming back any time soon.

I feel the market for cheap, fast-fashion style suits (insanely tight, short jacket, tiny lapels, etc) is growing as younger people think they look sharp and dressed up in them. Essentially club/going out gear.

This does not translate to bespoke or mtm tailors for the most part.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads