• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Worst Look

topos

Reaction score
In my field, coat and tie is almost unheard-of. It seems to have gotten worse in the time since I finished grad school, since back then many of the old-timers would at least wear a coat, but they are now retired, and what's left is a lot of people in stained t-shirts and jeans.

In fact, I just remembered going to a conference once where a group of us were discussing, quite seriously, whether a certain person at the coffee/cookie station during a break was a vagrant or a conference participant. He was, of course, the latter (and as it turns out somewhat well-known for provoking this question). To give you an idea of how bad this look was, we weren't exactly sitting on a high-horse in our t-shirt and jeans getups.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I had lunch today with the COO of a major telecom company. He was wearing an Ed Hardy t-shirt and bleached, fake distressed jeans, with the fake holes and all.

I wish I were making this up.

What's the company? Brodafone? AT&Bree?

AMProf

Reaction score

I'm not the only one in my department, but it's not common. I think at faculty meetings it's usually two or three other guys and I in coat and tie.

I'm in a business school, so the ratio is probably a bit higher. Maybe 20% in a typical faculty meeting will have on a jacket.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had lunch today with the COO of a major telecom company. He was wearing an Ed Hardy t-shirt and bleached, fake distressed jeans, with the fake holes and all.

I wish I were making this up.

And yet, speaking to most sales persons in the better stores in SanFrancisco, one hears the
Mantra, "the suit is coming back", "the suit is coming back"... Based on my own observations,
both in the City and Silicon Valley, these sales persons are hallucinating.

Balfour

Reaction score
I'm not the only one in my department, but it's not common. I think at faculty meetings it's usually two or three other guys and I in coat and tie.

How depressing. Most of the academics in the University department at which I occasionally teach wear a jacket to lecture and many wear jacket / suit and tie. But the field (law) may explain it.

Last edited:

chinesealpha

Reaction score
Givenchy bulldog tee, supertight n tapered distressed jeans, statement high tops... "Hey, I've got a pretty decent allowance, I don't know how to make toast, and I've never seen a real live nipple"

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that the jacket and / or tie or at the very least a buttonup shirt vs Grateful Dead tshirt divide largely mirrors the letters vs numbers distinction.

In my line of (decidedly non-academic) work, there seems to be a general belief that you can't do math while wearing a tie. Or that if you can do math, you've transcended the silk garrote.

topos

Reaction score
I'm guessing that the jacket and / or tie or at the very least a buttonup shirt vs Grateful Dead tshirt divide largely mirrors the letters vs numbers distinction.

In my line of (decidedly non-academic) work, there seems to be a general belief that you can't do math while wearing a tie. Or that if you can do math, you've transcended the silk garrote.

I've heard colleagues argue this very thing - the tie restricts blood flow to my brain, how can you expect me to think!?!?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you know you are a god to me manton, but the only people i see pulling those rollaway briefcases are struggling lawyers in kenneth cole shoes and secretaries in suits and new balance.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
if he's got that much to carry, well, it's worth thinkging about, at least it will save the shoulders and collars of his jackets.

If his clothes are cheap and cruddy anyway, then I guess it doesn't matter.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Many do where I am studying. Definitely not close to all, but many do. On the other hand there is one professor I've never seen wear anything other than Hawaiian shirts. In that context, I would gladly be the only student to wear a sport coat. But, as mentioned, I rarely am. There is something about people who study history, they just like to wear odd jackets. Usually with elbow patches, for better or worse.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads