1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The world of TOM FORD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Hampton, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Xenon

Xenon Senior member

I find it depends on the particular cloth. Although none of the cloths are extremely fine (think dormeuil luxury range) I found some of them have fairly nice hand and finish for their grade and there are some more striking patterns. In all you are paying for the styling which is quite different than any zegna line. This is a look which is very distinctive and NOT easily found elsewhere even bespoke.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

3. Xenon

Xenon Senior member

That video was great, Thanks for posting

4. ianGP

ianGP Senior member

:lol:

5. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Cipa if you are able to find it (I've only seen it at bergdorfs) still also starts at about 5k which is a higher starting point than TF. Don't get me wrong i love my Kiton suits they are the closest thing to "weightless" jackets i have but their cuts just don't do it for me when compared to TF. But in all fairness if i had to pick and use just one brand to use everyday it probably would be Kiton just because they are so dam comfortable and the fabrics are out of this world Actually come to think about it even though i do come here and preach about TF i probably own more things from Kiton than TF lol

6. Dempsy444

Dempsy444 Senior member

They have cipa at neiman. i respect Kiton, love and purchase their shirts, but can't bring myself to pay that pricepoint for an OTR suit. I enjoy going through the bespoke process too much. I admit though, Kiton suits are very comfortable.

Maybe I can find a good $2k OTR brand. I recall belvest making a very nice suit at a decent price.

7. Dempsy444

Dempsy444 Senior member

Great video. A Fascinating talent he is.

8. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

After mom, dad and my dog. I love Tom Ford.

9. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Actually the "classic" TF look we are used to it really a hodge podge of the various SR houses. I believe he had suits made at the various firms and took the details he liked the best and combined them i.e the slanted shoulder seam from A&S, the shoulder line/built up chest from Huntsman (i might be mistaken on this one), and the styling from edward sexton. If you look at the styling of Tommy Nutter suits (edward sexton) and ignore the slanted shoulder seam/milanese button hole/ 5 button cuffs etc you can see where he got his inspiration from.

[​IMG]

This is Edward Sexton/Tommy nutter

[​IMG]

This is TF

10. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

He does, if I'm not mistaken their headquarters is in london, i think in that video posted it shows that even their design team is based there

11. Xenon

Xenon Senior member

Agreed. Actually the sexton/nutter duo produced the suit style I like the most (moreso than the T ford). Some of the suits had far more shape then Fords and were more works of art then clothing. At a certain period the shoulder line was also more natural and elegant than ford while at the same time combining tremendous amount of rope- a difficult thing to accomplish.

Wasn't there a story about Ford picking up many pigs and having them disassembled to see what made them tick. I wonder if he had zegna do this or a personal group of tailors.

BTW Is Sexton still producing suits?

12. Big Texas

Big Texas Senior member

I love the cut and styling of TF, and the quality is certainly there, but with few exceptions, it's just a bit too louche to serve as business attire. Were I to come suddenly into a great fortune and become an international playboy, I suspect I'd have both greater means to buy TF and more frequent occasion to wear it.

All of that being said, Tom Ford himself deserves a great deal of credit as a visionary.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  13. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

+ 1 on that.

14. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Yup thats what i was trying to say in my last post. He ordered a bunch of suits from various tailors then took them apart and took what he liked best about them. And yes i believe Sexton is still producing suits. Heres a recent video well 2009 of a guy having a suit cut by him.
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

15. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

+1.

TF looks great, but the giant peak lapels seem out of place in most work environments. That being said, not all of his suits have batwings (i.e. O'Connor model).

16. bearsfan172

bearsfan172 Senior member

That video was incredible. Just shows how much work is put into the creative process

17. myk7000

myk7000 Senior member

I feel the same way. Also, maybe because I'm shorter than average, I have a hard time donning those giant lapels.

I do love his designs for the most part though. Can't think of any better brand to represent Bond.

18. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

The new collection reminds me of Micheal Caine, it is certainly moving towards a good direction. I love how he reintroduce the fur coat in slimmer cut, thats going to get big within the luxury market

19. malat

malat Senior member

Jesus those pants on that gent are impossibly tight.

20. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

It will be fun to see how the store is in Dubai, pictures will come of course!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013