1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The world of TOM FORD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Hampton, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

I realized today that Tom Ford is probably my favorite brand. Now that i'm a big fan of Italian brands as Loro Piana, Brioni, Corneliani and so on... I just love Tom Ford even more!. I'm off next week to visit the TF store in Dubai (pictures will come)

What do you think about TF 2013 collection?

More pictures at: http://www.style.com/fashionshows/complete/slideshow/F2013MEN-TFORD/#25

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  2. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

The styling seems to have changed dramatically from the last season; the suits seem to be essentially 1960s now, which is funny, because Tommy used to give this great set-piece spiel about how he'd lost faith in fashion, and was thus going to devote his personal brand to the pursuit of timeless style and qualitiy.

3. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Sick! I always wanted to visit Dubai. Spoo must be jelly

For business trip?

4. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Yes. But we always have time for Tom Ford [​IMG]

5. Vodking

Vodking Well-Known Member

This can't be spring/summer, all I'm seeing is fur, flannel, velvet and cashmere...

6. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

It's A/W 2013 (i.e., next winter).

7. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

These are their seasonal items which will change quite often. However if you go to their stores majority is still the same wide lapeled stuff that we are so used to seeing on here. Its like this at their madison store, on the bottom floor you will have the "classic stuff" which is the normal wide lapeled 3 piece suits, james bond suits etc. Then on the second floor if you turn right into that little room you will see the items which are on display on the website which is a minority of the overall items in the store.

1 person likes this.
  8. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

My bad just saw that.

9. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

I will just write 2013 collection, better that way :D

10. Dempsy444

Dempsy444 Senior member

My issue with Tom ford OTR is the quality of the cloth for the money. i feel you pay a significant premium for the brand.

11. Geruvah

Geruvah Senior member

I believe it's sourced from Zegna, no? So if there's an increase in price, I'll assume you're paying premium for the brand. And that's pretty much how how I'd expect it to be to help maintain exclusivity. There's also the argument that his suit designs are very different too. Either way, I don't think you can exactly compare prices with it to other suits based just on the fabric.

12. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

That's interesting. There's no standalone TF store in London yet, so the concessions I've been to have always had a small stock of the fashion stuff; albeit there always remains one big wall of conservative suits for businesswear. It's weird because I thought Tom Ford lived in London for 6 months per year.

13. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

Yes, it is Zegna Couture.

14. JonathanCWalker

JonathanCWalker Senior member

I think a stand alone store is opening on Sloane Street very soon!!!

15. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

[​IMG]

16. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

17. Dempsy444

Dempsy444 Senior member

I'm not sure but just know the cloth doesn't have a good hand compared to other suits in its general price range like Kiton or even Zegna itself. If you get it on deep discount then that's great, but at full price which I believe is $4K and up if I remember correctly, you could get a very nice peak lapel suit made by an exceptional tailor. Maybe you would pay 20% higher for the tailored suit but you would get better fabric, a better fit, and even more exclusivity.

As for exclusivity, I think it becomes a meritocracy once you walk out the door.

18. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Yes and no. This is where it gets a bit tricky, The fabric is from Zegna but they are exclusive to TF, meaning you cannot go into Zegna and request them to make you a TF suit, because besides the fabric the patterns are also exclusive to TF, and by patterns i do mean the wide lapel, milanese button hole etc that we are used to seeing from TF. Now onto the Zegna Couture remark, i never quite figured this out, i was always under the impression that Zegna Coture was made in a separate factory than the regular line. TF on the other hand although made to Zegna couture standards is made in Zegna's factory on the border between switzerland and italy which is why some have a made in italy tag while others have a made in switzerland, which side of the border the suit/blazer/etc is finished in determines what it will say on the "made in" tag. (i have yet to see a Zegna Couture that is made in switzerland). I could be wrong about this and my memory is a bit hazy but i remember reading that Zegna Couture was made somewhere near naples hence the original name "napoli couture" which if you look at a map is nowhere near switzerland so using logic they are from different factories. Again i must state i might be wrong about the Zegna Couture part but maybe someone more familiar with Zegna Couture can clarify.

P.S in regards to the TF items, there is no difference between the made in switzerland and italy items. They are from the same factory made by the same people, the only reason their tags are different is for legal reasons. This is opposed to lets say Zegna mainline which although can be made in the swiss/italy factory also can come from their factory in spain

2 people like this.
  19. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

If I'm not mistaken their grey 3 piece basic base a (the one we are used to seeing) is about 4.2k. The James bond ones are 3 something. I do agree that Kiton has much better fabrics but i really wouldn't put them in the same price range, TF is 3-6k while kiton starts at around 7k last time i checked. As for you comment on going to a tailor i completely agree especially if you are using tailors in the TF price range, my bespoke suit from steed fits much better than my MTO from TF and I'm sure less people have heard of/use Steed so its def more exclusive. But walking around in it just feels like you are wearing a beautifully tailored suit. TF on the other hand feels like you are walking around with a big middle finger painted on yourself. Could be just a brand thing but you have to admit brands do have an effect on people even the wearer himself.

20. Dempsy444

Dempsy444 Senior member

True, kiton is more expensive but maybe the cipa line is closer. While the fabric on the cipa is not as nice as normal kiton I found it better than TF. In any event, at this level it is about personal style I guess. You gotta hand it to Ford. He's killing it.