1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NachoBroadway

NachoBroadway Senior member

those sneakers are nice, look great with light washed jeans

2. Teger

Teger Senior member

that's my favorite adorno essay. so racist and hilarious.

3. derrida26

derrida26 Senior member

The recent things I'm more familiar with are more along the american spectrum: dreyfus, haugeland, rorty, that kind of thing, and also the pragmatists, mainly peirce.

Contemporary philosophy is harder to get into, because it builds off of early 20th century philosophy, which builds off of modern philosophy (kant nietzsche etc.), and so it takes a lot of familiarity with the subject to appreciate fully.

4. Teger

Teger Senior member

as cliche as it is, I really enjoy nietzsche. most philosophy ive read as a political slant.

2 people like this.
  5. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

guys i know about antigen-presenting cells. you wanna discus the false dichotomy of the M1 and M2 phenotypes?

But seriously, what's a good intro to leisure philisophy? I don't care about sprouting off names etc., I'd just like to read something interesting.

1 person likes this.
  6. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

I was about to ask the same question.

7. Teger

Teger Senior member

probably a philosophy 101 textbook or the philosophy article on wikipedia.

8. derrida26

derrida26 Senior member

kuhn's The Structure of Scientific Revolutions could be good also, if you want to read something relevant that's not a textbook

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  9. BreezyBirch

BreezyBirch Senior member

any webshops have those ann sneaks? link plz?

10. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Kuhn, the relativist...

Buffy and Philosophy. That's your way in. :lurk:

11. smashwindow

smashwindow Senior member

12. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

...because it's a novel. Little unfair to the others, dontcha think? :D

But I agree, what should feel rote and didactic is actually a pleasure. Love that book.

13. smashwindow

I've been trying to finish the atlas shrugged for years and I feel compelled to finish everything I start, but its just so fucking bad. Its a giant rayndian masterbation, nothing happens, character too simple. Its the worst. Last month I did go through all of hemmingway I think old man and the sea > sun also rises > for whom the bell tolls > a farewell to arms. Next month I start on jean jacques rousseaus confessions which I'll be reading in french and will be taking me a little longer than usual

1 person likes this.
  14. thewho13

thewho13 Senior member

I've been wanting to get started on econ stuff for a while—any suggestions? I'm guessing Keynes is probably a good place to start, but if anyone mentions a specific text I'd feel far more encouraged. (Teger, the book that you mentioned on the French Languedoc sounds pretty cool, might check that out.)

Also, it's just really fascinating how many people here are into philosophy. Is it a hobby? a former (or even ongoing) field of study? an occupation? Whatever the case, there's something really cool and unusual about the intersection of obscure designer fashion and discursive philosophical texts.

I've only really, really recently been introduced to texts like Derrida, Zizek, Lacan, etc. First year of school, I thought I wanted to be an engineer (I fucking hated it). Sophomore year began a year-and-a-half bout of depression that, remarkably, didn't ruin my grades. Basically I just took classes and was very stressed and passed with good grades, but was too stressed to be more than slightly present in any of those classes (although I did get really, really into reading Ulysses and Gravity's Rainbow and DFW). Junior year—this year—I took a seminar called "Literary Theory," taught by my now-advisor. This is basically where I figured out that I enjoy the more philosophically oriented texts—psychoanalysis, postmodernism, deconstruction, queer theory, etc. The reading list was terrific, and I got through a ton of texts, but there's only so much that can be read in one semester. Right now, I'm basically waiting for a summer research project to start so that I can read through a bunch more shit and work on constructing a thesis-to-be with my advisor. My reading list is gonna contain stuff like: Adorno, Schelling, Zizek, Lacan, Butler, Halberstam, Sedgwick, Bersani, more queer theorists, Foucault, Deleuze, Spivak, maybe some Zupancic, maybe some Marx and Hegel, etc.

I'm just really curious as to how you guys got into this stuff, what your relationship to it is like now, and, well, stuff. :embar:

1 person likes this.
  15. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

I think Hills Like White Elephants could be the greatest Hemingway ever.

Also, What is Enlightenment is not really that bad a place to start.

1 person likes this.
  16. melonadejello

melonadejello Senior member

17. derrida26

derrida26 Senior member

asked my english teacher for "more difficult" reading in 8th grade, he gave me kant's critique of pure reason, that book seriously fucked me up

2 people like this.
  18. smashwindow

Keynes on "General theory of employment"
    Adam Smith - "Wealth of Nations"
    David Ricardo - "Principles of Political Economy and Taxation"
    FA Hayek - "Road to Serfdom"
    Ohlin - "inside" "signs and wonders"
    J S Mills - "Utilitarianism"
    Milton Friedman - "capitalism and freedom"

majored in econ so it came naturally, but its something that stays with you, as you read more and more you realize how much of it is bs, but without reading adam smith you can really get keynes and you can't get hayek (even though he destroys keynes) without reading keynes. I think ohlin is the most modern on the list and his theories on the frameworks of trade are the most interesting. Ricardo also writes on trade theory and that is the basis that heckshir and ohlin used to make their own framework.

2 people like this.
  19. APK

APK Senior member

The abortion talk is intriguing, but Hemingway made that beer sound so refreshing that I have trouble staying focused on anything else. And I don't even much care for beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.