The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

Wait, wait so his personal type of "brand whoring" is better than what goes on around here? How?

I (personally) don't believe peoples opinions detract from this forum, however bad they may be.....hell its what keeps me coming back. Most of you can spew this philosophical paragraph littered with some straight out of the thesaurus vocab and yet can't just let it go when some one does not get why a fit is so praised. Its their opinion, who cares?

2. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

Once again, you've missed the point. My only beef is with Kent's shtick, which is even more primordial than Otter's. I'm also not sure why you're concerned with diction or thesauri; but I am sure that, with some exceptions, I prefer Asobu's sincere and calculated consumption of design to the incessant posting of ugly shit with a brand name on it in the recent purchases thread. There's a difference between consumption and conspicuous consumption, even if it's distinctly grayish.

Additionally, I've no problem with people sharing their opinions, but a lot of people are fucking stupid and an equal number aren't sharing anything worth sharing.

Christ, you're like MikeDT only Cuban.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  3. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

I agree, the fit, and oddly placed zippers do make this fit more unusual (I obviously can't get fabric detail and am not too familiar with Yohji).

But if we were to take away the zippers, and put this guy on the street corner- his fit reminds me a lot of the daily outfit of an aging priest (and, as a student of University of Portland, I see them daily).

It's not that I don't dislike the fit, and I DO appreciate that it challenges my more conventional notions...But I still don't see it...

4. Guy Burgess

Guy Burgess Senior member

great fit asobu. Love it.

5. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

"You've missed the point" is second to only "swag" around here

Hmmm, well I didn't get all personal but alright

Right but its still your opinion and preferences. The other guy has his. Not a complicated point. Seems like an idea contrary to what is accepted immediately gets a negative reaction, not that any of this matters anyways

Additionally, I've no problem with people sharing their opinions, but a lot of people are fucking stupid and an equal number aren't sharing anything worth sharing.

Let it all out man

And to my du, next time ill post up in a white v neck/APC/Quoddy to really get that sought after aesthetic

6. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Not sure how I feel about the belt. Or the cuffs. Was thinking of taking them to Self Edge & getting them shortened. Tear me apart, guys.

Edit: minimally processed :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jcrew
    rubinacci
    some selvage jeans i picked up somewhere
    red wing

7. APK

APK Senior member

My issue with Kent's claim is that he keeps popping in to dump the same rhetoric about hype without showing any signs that he's willing to reconsider his stance if presented with a strong enough argument. His logic is flawed for several reasons, but to name a few:

- It's possible for a brand or item to be hyped and have it be warranted. Lots of acclaim doesn't make a brand or type of clothing instantaneously inferior. This isn't an indie rock band that finally gets radio play we're talking about here.

- Hype doesn't make a designer bulletproof in SW&D. In fact, certain brands and styles of clothing have gotten so much hype in the past that we hit a saturation point where the consensus was then skewed toward the negative (boat shoes, anyone?).

- Some aesthetics and/or designers just work for some people. I'd probably look frumpy in the stuff asobu wears. But it works for his body type and overall appearance (he used to post fits where his hair was visible). Isn't that what most of us are trying to do? Find clothes and styles that work for us? Just because it doesn't suit your personal tastes, doesn't make them outfits unworthy of praise.

8. bows1

bows1 Senior member

ugh please remove that terrible post-processing on that photo.

9. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

I think if you address this you may have greater appreciation for the ensemble. seeing pics of yohji is one thing, playing with it is another. maybe not, and maybe you'll still find it puzzling why people like it, but anyway i think you should explore and see for your self.

10. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

while i agree certain aesthetics fit certain proportions better, i don't subscribe to the idea that yohji is limited by any means. i've seen from rail thin to tall athletic to short to just plain old rotund all doing it right.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. UrbanComposition

Fair enough. The original is probably better anyway:

[​IMG]

12. LukeM

LukeM Senior member

^I think you accidentally posted the wrong photo

13. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Also, I really like how old grandpas and especially grandmas dress in Chinatown. The grandmas are always stylin and their outfits look like a lot of fun. Wool trousers, awesome patterned layers and sweaters and jackets. All this to go grocery shopping on smelly, crowded streets. I very rarely see older Chinese women not dress well.

14. UrbanComposition

No I didn't.

15. Hollywars

Hollywars Senior member

That's funny haha, my chemistry teacher is hardcore Chinese and always dresses pretty well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.