• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The watch DISCUSSION thread

ronscuba

Reaction score

What I'm really trying to say: if you like a certain watch, buy that watch. Don't buy a watch because it's "better value" than another watch you like more.
But some people intentionally do exactly that.

Last edited:

ronscuba

Reaction score
What watch are people wearing right now ?

I'll start. 20 yo chunky Seiko. I switched the bracelet to chunky mesh.

20210420_123342.jpg

suttonzach

Reaction score
The temporary reduction in leisure travel and dining/drinking out associated with COVID has been a boon for collectibles, including watches.
That discretionary spending has to go somewhere, and watches, sports cards, and — NFTs — seem to have been amongst the main beneficiaries

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really gotten into German watches over the past decade. Got an Archimede pilot watch when I retired from the Army and then gave my kids their own versions when they graduated college. Wifey got me a Muhle-Glashutte Terranaut Trail III that I absolutely love. Was looking for a nice-looking and rugged diver for general use and for dive/snorkel trips to places where wearing a Submariner is a bit risky. I also like rugged divers for general exercise. Garmin sports watch is great but I need reading glasses so big, simple dials carry the day.

Looked at many brands and settled on the Muhle-Glashutte ProMare which just arrived today. Nice deep blue dial, rated at same depth as the Sub, modified SW 200-1 movement, and not as thick as other dive watches I looked at. Had been on the fence for a while but found it new at 50% off at store in Tampa/St. Pete and snapped it up.

IMG_2396.jpg
1618948706602.png

1618948795429.png

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is another topic for discussion (not sure if it's been discussed elsewhere):
For those who were able to watch Mark Cho's presentation to the NY horological society, what did you think of his presentation, the results of his survey, and his conclusions? What are your thoughts?

I'll put mine down briefly: the presentation was good, I appreciate how he got into it from a slightly deeper perspective with the consumer psychology thingy, and his opinion that 37mm would be an excellent small-mid size that could capture much business was interesting to me.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The temporary reduction in leisure travel and dining/drinking out associated with COVID has been a boon for collectibles, including watches.
That discretionary spending has to go somewhere, and watches, sports cards, and — NFTs — seem to have been amongst the main beneficiaries
Same thing with bikes. Waiting lists everywhere current stocks got bought out.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is another topic for discussion (not sure if it's been discussed elsewhere):
For those who were able to watch Mark Cho's presentation to the NY horological society, what did you think of his presentation, the results of his survey, and his conclusions? What are your thoughts?

One other thought I had was this:

Most people have no idea how big their watch actually looks on their wrist because they only look at it close up when telling the time. Which, I suppose, is important in how it makes you feel. But much like how shoes don't look the same when you look down at them versus how others see them, I'd wager the vast majority of people who think their "small" wrists can't take even a 40-42mm watch because of how giant it looks close up when telling the time would be amazed to see how completely fine it looks seen from a distance—i.e. how other people see it.

We did some family portraits on the beach last year, I wore my 41.5mm Aqua Terra, which before then I occasionally wondered about being too big for my average-sized wrist. But then seeing the photos made me realize the truth—it's fine.
MossFamilyFOT2020-306.jpg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend who is into boats said the same thing has basically happened with boats that are say $75K and less, and used boat inventories in that price range completely dried up as of last year.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Most people have no idea how big their watch actually looks on their wrist because they only look at it close up when telling the time. Which, I suppose, is important in how it makes you feel. But much like how shoes don't look the same when you look down at them versus how others see them, I'd wager the vast majority of people who think their "small" wrists can't take even a 40-42mm watch because of how giant it looks close up when telling the time would be amazed to see how completely fine it looks seen from a distance—i.e. how other people see it.

We did some family portraits on the beach last year, I wore my 41.5mm Aqua Terra, which before then I occasionally wondered about being too big for my average-sized wrist. But then seeing the photos made me realize the truth—it's fine.
Yeah, just takes some experience with various watches. Good to know the details like the lug measurements and case height. Almost like knowing your suit measurements by heart so you can buy with confidence.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's in great condition.

Thanks! I wear all my watches, but I don't wear them for anything too punishing. One of my friends says I must have ninja like reflexes to keep from scratching them up as badly as he does with his own watches :rotflmao: .

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Someone on r/watches the other day made a similar post about how a close up wrist shot doesn't always represent how that watch looks on your wrist from a "normal distance". Consider the two photos the user posted:

1618950366574.png

vs.

1618950409066.png

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Someone on r/watches the other day made a similar post about how a close up wrist shot doesn't always represent how that watch looks on your wrist from a "normal distance". Consider the two photos the user posted:

View attachment 1596851

vs.

View attachment 1596852

so true

also, I think the 36 mm case diameter is completely underrated for clean bezel watches. I get it, when you have a dive watch or speedy or watch with a lot of action on the bezel, you need the thicker diameter or the face is small.

but for a clean bezel watch, 36mm is pretty nice.

my more daily use watch (the JLC photo above) is 40 mm with a steel bracelet, but the one I wear as on a leather strap is a 36 mm.

I think both sizes work fine. This trend toward 40mm (or even larger) is unnecessary in my opinion. Especially if subtle elegance is the goal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads