• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

atia2

Reaction score
At what point will it be necessary to create a separate thread to discuss the thread? We could call that one the metathread.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the mega-thread.

You can find out a great deal about many different watches and brands in this one thread. If the brands were split I would suppose that half a dozen would be frequently read and posted in and all the others would not be worth reading regularly because of lack of traffic. As someone not drawn to the highly advertised brands I still enjoy seeing them here and reading about the posters' new watches or grails and also reading knowledgeable criticism of design and craftsmanship.

To be honest I do not mind if the same question is asked more than once as a FAQ would be so long if all the regular topics were in it it would defeat its purpose. Besides which, if a FAQ does not present both sides of a topic such as GO Pano vs. Lange 1 it risks being one sided and definitive.

I have never understood the lurker phenomenon, if you have a question to ask - ask it.

OzWino

Reaction score
Having read only the last 1259 pages of this tread, it would be helpful to have a FAQ about discussing the discussion of this threads discourse. Ive been reading for some time but was too intimidated to ask but a special section on the metathread might clear things up and stop me wasting time searching for the appropriate way to discuss things in this discussion.

1f608.png

pmeis

Reaction score
I always assumed this was way too big of a possibility so I haven't used Chrono24. I'm guessing it is usually a smooth transaction though because its been around awhile.

That said, good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Wishing you luck and hoping everything works out well for you. I've never made a purchase through chrono24 nor have I made any purchases from watch dealers outside of the US. I know lots of people purchase and ship watches internationally without any issues. However, I tend to be risk averse and I know my options for recourse if things go wrong are far more limited once it involves an international transaction. Please let us now how things work out for you.
I've bought from a German dealer off Chrono24, but i've emailed them directly. I didnt even realize there was a checkout option, to be honest - not that i would use it, as email allows for a little more price negotiation. Got a great price from them, too. But it took a while for them to get the watch - at those prices, i didnt mind waiting.

Trusted checkout is an option for what are supposed to be "Trusted" dealers, the benifit being that your money is held in escrow by Chrono24 until the watch has arrived as described.

Quick update though. Sent the cancellation request after I posted yesterday. Chrono24 then contacted the dealer who agreed with my assessment of the situation, so Chrono24 canceled the transaction and requested my account info to refund my money. I sent the requested info this morning and apparently the transfer has already been initiated.

Went ahead and purchased the more "local" watch and will hopefully have it this weekend.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've bought from a German dealer off Chrono24, but i've emailed them directly.   I didnt even realize there was a checkout option, to be honest - not that i would use it, as email allows for a little more price negotiation.    Got a great price from them, too.   But it took a while for them to get the watch - at those prices, i didnt mind waiting.

Question for the veterans: How open are most vendors of pre-owned watches to price negotiation, particularly when a watch has gone unsold for several months? What percentage below list should you start negotiations to get the best price without insulting the seller?

SilchasRuin

Reaction score
Question for the veterans: How open are most vendors of pre-owned watches to price negotiation, particularly when a watch has gone unsold for several months? What percentage below list should you start negotiations to get the best price without insulting the seller?

My own strategy is that i try to find comparable selling prices for that watch elsewhere - if i dont find those, then i ask myself what is the price that would be sufficient for me to go used, as opposed to just buying new. In general, 20-30% off typical *selling price* (not retail) price is what I try to go for - depending on how popular the watch is.

atia2

Reaction score

Not a veteran, but... I think much depends on how keenly priced the item is to start with, relative to its peers on the site. The price variance for similar items can be quite large. My most recent purchase was at 90% of an already competitive asking price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics