1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

2. chanoch

chanoch Well-Known Member

Thanks, Wempe carries them but is out of stock ... and no display model. Have to try again later. Appreciate the suggestion.

3. djh

djh Senior member

Agreed. The BB's are fantastic in person and the finishing is top notch. Not to mention they're easily $2700 new and even lower used.

4. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Yeah, Mine was ~2700 new.

5. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

My comment was also related to other styles of Tudor FWIW.

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Pelagos is a great watch in person, you just can't grasp how matte that watch is. Really wish it was at least the same size as the Sub at 40mm.

7. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

1 person likes this.
  8. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Maybe he prefers the Hublot on his wrist...

:hide:

9. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Oh no. Not this again...haha

10. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I want a winder but I refuse to pay the prices that companies ask for them. If you guys know of a quality winder that isn't the price of a decent watch by itself, I'd love to know. Don't need any of that burled walnut, gold plated crap either

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  11. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

yeah, sorry, not my thing.
    I usually wear my Black Bay or TOG 90% of the time.
    The other watches are much less often.

12. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I would be the complete opposite, haha.

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

:lol: I was just teasing the regulars here.

HRoi, what's your budget? Wolf Designs has a 50%-60% off sale like once a year.

Take it for what it's worth but years ago I bought this $30-$40 generic winder and put a cheap automatic in there and it worked well enough for about 5 years? Sometimes I would just leave the watch in there for 6 months straight without touching and it kept it powered up. It isn't the quietest though so I wouldn't recommend it in the bedroom.
    [​IMG]

14. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Honestly? A couple hundred for like a 6 watch winder. I just can't see how it should cost much more than that, although I'm willing to be enlightened. It's not that I'm not willing to pay a thousand bucks for something that's worth the money, I just feel like I'd be ripped off for such a relatively simple mechanical object

15. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

...especially when you have two free ones attached to your arms!

1 person likes this.
  16. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Well, if you have a $60K Patek or even a $20K AP, do you want to risk using a $49.99 special?
    I would rather know it is a reliable manufacturer of winder.

1 person likes this.
  17. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Winders does seem simple but there are some complicated mechanical work in there. I figure the cheap ones you get at Brookstone that can cost $200-$300 for a dual winder that breaks down within weeks means it isn't as simple to make these machines. And I think almost all Brookstone winder reviews and experience I've read had it failing within months. I don't think any of them survive a year without any problems. Other cheap ones like Diplomat also gets a bad rep of being unreliable. it's just not one of those things that a cheap chinese brand can imitate and make work well. For the most part, you might be better off placing your watch in your drawer or valet than putting in a cheap winder that can mess up your expensive watch.

As Dino said, some winder doesn't hold the watches well. Wolf Winders didn't integrate their locking cuff until a few years ago and heavier watches simply fell off. So there are also little things to consider along with the motor noise, rotation direction and tpd options. Those Wolfs at $250 only turns 650tpd and an option to rotate cw, ccw or bd. I think Orbita is the only one that really has that one unique rotation where it rotates a few turns then lets it go and allows inertia do it's thing and just let the watch swing back and forth imitating a wrist movement than just it going around and around.

Of course to some extent you are just paying for the case decoration and craftsmanship, I've seen plenty of winder that has discernible gaps or peeling liners. If you like displaying your watches, a winder can make a nice presentation case too. There's this German brand Modalo and this 8-watch winder is $750 but it looks pretty good if you don't mind showing off your collection.
    [​IMG]

Best one to start off without going overly cheap is probably those $250 single watch winder from Orbita.
    [​IMG]

Stance on winders here doesn't seem hostile like in other watch forums so maybe others can chime in?

18. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

I bought a couple of Accuratic winders this summer and they've served me well so far.

Reviews:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f423/accuratic-watch-winder-801643.html
    http://www.watchfreeks.com/99-revie...uratic-expandable-automatic-watch-winder.html

I wanted to spend the least I could for a basic modular winder that would get the job done. Less money spent on winders = moar money to spend on watches.

Since we're discussing accessories, I also have these:

Casebudi cases (both sizes)
    Reg
    Small
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f423/review-casebudi-watch-vault-comparison-oakley-836651.html
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?264800-CASEBUDi-watch-case-(like-Oakley-watch-vault).html

Pelican 1170 cases for storage (configured for 6 watches). Some Pelican threads on WUS:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/pelican-1170-8-watch-case-photos-388221.html
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/pelican-case-configurations-store-g-shocks-869064.html
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f423/thrilled-new-pelican-case-201907.html

1 person likes this.
  19. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Tech Swiss looks okay to me. Anything good/bad to say about them?

20. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I have that cassebud case but the one made by Oakley.
    [​IMG]

I also have that Pelican 1170 on backorder too since I was feeling bored one day and I figure it'll be cool to try it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.