• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just made an appointment with the DC Hermes boutique to see the new H08 model this coming Saturday morning. Wish me (or more accurately, my credit card) good luck. I fear the watch-buying moratorium may be coming to an end.
I just received an e-mail from the assistant manager of the DC store informing me that the last H08 sold today. :fu: She offered to transfer one in for me and I told her that I was most interested in the all-titanium model with the orange strap. Hopefully it will be worth the wait . . .

darkcharger

Reaction score
Chopard LUC Quattro
white gold
strap: George Cleverley 1786 Russian reindeer

Not a new purchase but the strap is a new edition.

After taxes I can start the hunt for my 50th birthday watch for next year. Thinking of adding a Breguet Classique to the collection

IMG_2471.jpg

suttonzach

Reaction score
Is there any point going into Tiffany’s to try and buy a Calatrava or are the odds of being able to actually secure one more or less zero? Wanting to know whether it’s worth making an appointment or if I’d be wasting everyone’s time.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any point going into Tiffany’s to try and buy a Calatrava or are the odds of being able to actually secure one more or less zero? Wanting to know whether it’s worth making an appointment or if I’d be wasting everyone’s time.

I don’t know. The PP at Tiffany’s is exclusive to them and not the hot, sought after models. My guess is you’ll be fine.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sure they have clients that spend more, but we did buy something at each visit. My wife and I are not diva's but have to admit, it is nice being treated like it.

I think the SA now views us as a reliable sale: if we bother to make an appt., odds are we are going to buy something. She does regularly send polite emails and includes photos on newly released items.

I've tried to buy my wife a watch for years but she always declines. Same for jewelry. I sometimes feel badly that I get the fancy stuff and she just doesn't find it appealing. She'd rather put money into our home. She's been looking at the Apple watch recently so I'll get her that for Mother's day.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tried to buy my wife a watch for years but she always declines. Same for jewelry. I sometimes feel badly that I get the fancy stuff and she just doesn't find it appealing. She'd rather put money into our home. She's been looking at the Apple watch recently so I'll get her that for Mother's day.

She wants what she wants. My wife is the same way; very practical. I suppose we balance one another out.

I’ll stop before this turns into a “Lothar of the Hill People” skit from SNL.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope, just got off the phone with an AD who says 2020 and now 2021 have been there best years so far. They've been in business since the mid-90's

I'm guessing that for many folks the discretionary income that ordinarily would have gone toward travel and dining out went instead toward luxury goods.

From what I have heard from people in the industry, many of the tier 1 and tier 2 brands are doing extremely well. Most of them are either flat or positive over the past 24 months. Many of the niche brands are down more than 50% year over year and may not survive.

Like many things, there are haves and have nots, and the gap between them widens regularly.

ronscuba

Reaction score
Sounds like a wonderful wife. Maybe add some different straps for her Apple watch. Couples massage/spa treatments at the spa or in your home, good restaurants, delivered flower subscription, pay a chef to come to your home to make dinner, something that fits or feeds her hobbies/interests.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I have heard from people in the industry, many of the tier 1 and tier 2 brands are doing extremely well. Most of them are either flat or positive over the past 24 months. Many of the niche brands are down more than 50% year over year and may not survive.

Like many things, there are haves and have nots, and the gap between them widens regularly.

A lot of people who would have travelled and spent money eating out and the type of splurge/impulse/discretionary spending one does when they go out, didn’t and so they probably found that they could afford a watch they had always wanted. Just a guess.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cartier and Van Cleef & Arpels are also making people do this.

However, from what I understand, at least for Hermes...the appointment requirement has increased their business tremendously. Potential purchasers, at least women who are regular big shoppers with them are concerned about not being able to get into the store for a few more weeks if appointments are booked up in advance. So rather than think about potential purchases and coming back anther time, they just buy it. In addition, they are concerned certain items they like might be sold out by the time they get back into the store, so again they buy extra if its makeup or perfume, or they need a gift for someone in the near future etc. Not sure if it is working as well for Cartier or Van Cleef.
Somewhat randomly, I had to go to Cartier recently for some birthday gifts for my wife. I had no pre-existing relationship so had to make an appointment through the website, and I think the first available was about a week out. I got assigned a pretty cool SA who has been there for 25+ years and was actually pretty helpful. I'm not a window shopper so when I go to these sorts of places to buy stuff for my wife, I have to walk out with something to show for it.

It turns out I bought the wrong size product so had to go back in with my wife to exchange for the right size. I emailed the SA and he seemed to have plenty of availability. While we were there my wife looked at another piece and was hemming and hawing whether to get it now or wait and the whole appointment thing plus the inconvenience of shopping (like me, going to retailers isn't a preferred hobby of hers) probably contributed to her decision to buy.

I know the plural of anecdotal evidence isn't data, but my anecdote supports what you are saying.

We asked to see the new solarbeats Tank because I think my wife might like it but they won't have them until June. We did look at a regular tank and my wife didn't hate it so I suppose it could be a future purchase but who knows.

My takeaway from the whole thing was that Cartier has a pretty good retail experience with very high customer service standards relative to the sorts of stories I read about here for other high end places, and that I still have no desire to spend much time in boutiques.

montecristo#2

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that Hermes, Cartier, and Van Cleef are just jam packed with appointments all weekend. Especially now since it's been a year since initial lockdowns.

For what it’s worth, you can walk into Tysons Galleria at 11am on a Tuesday and you will literally find lines of people queued up outside Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Versace, etc....It’s nuts.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My takeaway from the whole thing was that Cartier has a pretty good retail experience with very high customer service standards relative to the sorts of stories I read about here for other high end places, and that I still have no desire to spend much time in boutiques.

I’ve shopped the Cartier boutique in Chicago and NYC and always received excellent service. Even when I’m there to just look. I wouldn’t make an appointment to just look unless I was seriously considering buying something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads