• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cartier and Van Cleef & Arpels are also making people do this.

However, from what I understand, at least for Hermes...the appointment requirement has increased their business tremendously. Potential purchasers, at least women who are regular big shoppers with them are concerned about not being able to get into the store for a few more weeks if appointments are booked up in advance. So rather than think about potential purchases and coming back anther time, they just buy it. In addition, they are concerned certain items they like might be sold out by the time they get back into the store, so again they buy extra if its makeup or perfume, or they need a gift for someone in the near future etc. Not sure if it is working as well for Cartier or Van Cleef.
Somewhat randomly, I had to go to Cartier recently for some birthday gifts for my wife. I had no pre-existing relationship so had to make an appointment through the website, and I think the first available was about a week out. I got assigned a pretty cool SA who has been there for 25+ years and was actually pretty helpful. I'm not a window shopper so when I go to these sorts of places to buy stuff for my wife, I have to walk out with something to show for it.

It turns out I bought the wrong size product so had to go back in with my wife to exchange for the right size. I emailed the SA and he seemed to have plenty of availability. While we were there my wife looked at another piece and was hemming and hawing whether to get it now or wait and the whole appointment thing plus the inconvenience of shopping (like me, going to retailers isn't a preferred hobby of hers) probably contributed to her decision to buy.

I know the plural of anecdotal evidence isn't data, but my anecdote supports what you are saying.

We asked to see the new solarbeats Tank because I think my wife might like it but they won't have them until June. We did look at a regular tank and my wife didn't hate it so I suppose it could be a future purchase but who knows.

My takeaway from the whole thing was that Cartier has a pretty good retail experience with very high customer service standards relative to the sorts of stories I read about here for other high end places, and that I still have no desire to spend much time in boutiques.

montecristo#2

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that Hermes, Cartier, and Van Cleef are just jam packed with appointments all weekend. Especially now since it's been a year since initial lockdowns.
For what it’s worth, you can walk into Tysons Galleria at 11am on a Tuesday and you will literally find lines of people queued up outside Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Versace, etc....It’s nuts.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My takeaway from the whole thing was that Cartier has a pretty good retail experience with very high customer service standards relative to the sorts of stories I read about here for other high end places, and that I still have no desire to spend much time in boutiques.
I’ve shopped the Cartier boutique in Chicago and NYC and always received excellent service. Even when I’m there to just look. I wouldn’t make an appointment to just look unless I was seriously considering buying something.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, you can walk into Tysons Galleria at 11am on a Tuesday and you will literally find lines of people queued up outside Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Versace, etc....It’s nuts.
same here. $2800 will get you quite a bit in those places.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me, diamonds are for women's watches.
You guys just aren't man enough to pull them off! Where the REAL men at?

(I kid...this is my dilemma too...I want rose gold, but the dial options sans diamonds are bleak...damn...)

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had an appointment downtown today and walked through SoHo to get there. The line to get into Chanel was 50 people deep. Gucci was about the same.

ronscuba

Reaction score
Chopard LUC Quattro
white gold
strap: George Cleverley 1786 Russian reindeer

Not a new purchase but the strap is a new edition.

After taxes I can start the hunt for my 50th birthday watch for next year. Thinking of adding a Breguet Classique to the collection

View attachment 1598755
Breguet Classique is my favorite for a dress watch. Due to covid and the continuing shift towards more casual clothing in business over the last 30 yrs., an expensive dress watch has been on the back burner.

The Breguet Classique should be my next watch purchase. I feel like it has more style and detail compared to many of the other high tier dress watch offerings.

chocomallo

Reaction score
Chopard LUC Quattro
white gold
strap: George Cleverley 1786 Russian reindeer

Not a new purchase but the strap is a new edition.

After taxes I can start the hunt for my 50th birthday watch for next year. Thinking of adding a Breguet Classique to the collection

View attachment 1598755
What a beauty! I’ve often thought about going for the prior iteration of this watch with the blue dial. Chopard makes watches every bit as good as Patek. Man this watch is great.

A Breguet would be an excellent addition.

darkcharger

Reaction score
Breguet Classique is my favorite for a dress watch. Due to covid and the continuing shift towards more casual clothing in business over the last 30 yrs., an expensive dress watch has been on the back burner.

The Breguet Classique should be my next watch purchase. I feel like it has more style and detail compared to many of the other high tier dress watch offerings.
I hear you and as I transition more and more to classic menswear; my tastes and desires in watches also follow so I have less desire to have many divers in my collection. Of course, that won't stop me from potentially picking up a Glashütte Original SeaQ Panorama at some point either. :)

darkcharger

Reaction score
What a beauty! I’ve often thought about going for the prior iteration of this watch with the blue dial. Chopard makes watches every bit as good as Patek. Man this watch is great.

A Breguet would be an excellent addition.
Thanks. In many ways, I prefer these kind of watches where only real watch nerds will really know and where I otherwise fly under the radar. Patek makes some wonderful watches but for my next watch, I am mesmerized by the coin bezel, guilloche dial, and slim profile of a Breguet. Thinking a Classique in rose gold would do nicely.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We asked to see the new solarbeats Tank because I think my wife might like it but they won't have them until June.
When I was at the shop I asked about these (and the other new Must models) and were told the same thing.

What do you folks think about diamond markers? Too much?
Not if it's something subtle.

1619224731034.png

oops, you said diamond markers?

Bronze Age Sartorial

Reaction score
I hear you and as I transition more and more to classic menswear; my tastes and desires in watches also follow so I have less desire to have many divers in my collection. Of course, that won't stop me from potentially picking up a Glashütte Original SeaQ Panorama at some point either. :)
The new green dial SeaQ is straight 🔥

1619225388760.jpeg

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.