• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

ronscuba

Reaction score
A list treatment on a D list budget! Lol.
I am sure they have clients that spend more, but we did buy something at each visit. My wife and I are not diva's but have to admit, it is nice being treated like it.

I think the SA now views us as a reliable sale: if we bother to make an appt., odds are we are going to buy something. She does regularly send polite emails and includes photos on newly released items.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that for many folks the discretionary income that ordinarily would have gone toward travel and dining out went instead toward luxury goods.
Yes. But as a father of two young children, the bulk of my luxury spending was funded by the complete absence of my typical childcare costs (which made this year tremendously difficult to manage, which in turn provided the reasoning for the repurposing of some of these savings on lux goods - presents to myself for home-schooling for the better part of a year...). The stock market going bonkers in 2020 didn’t hurt either...

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you folks think about diamond markers? Too much?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just made an appointment with the DC Hermes boutique to see the new H08 model this coming Saturday morning. Wish me (or more accurately, my credit card) good luck. I fear the watch-buying moratorium may be coming to an end.
I just received an e-mail from the assistant manager of the DC store informing me that the last H08 sold today. :fu: She offered to transfer one in for me and I told her that I was most interested in the all-titanium model with the orange strap. Hopefully it will be worth the wait . . .

darkcharger

Reaction score
Chopard LUC Quattro
white gold
strap: George Cleverley 1786 Russian reindeer

Not a new purchase but the strap is a new edition.

After taxes I can start the hunt for my 50th birthday watch for next year. Thinking of adding a Breguet Classique to the collection

IMG_2471.jpg

suttonzach

Reaction score
Is there any point going into Tiffany’s to try and buy a Calatrava or are the odds of being able to actually secure one more or less zero? Wanting to know whether it’s worth making an appointment or if I’d be wasting everyone’s time.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any point going into Tiffany’s to try and buy a Calatrava or are the odds of being able to actually secure one more or less zero? Wanting to know whether it’s worth making an appointment or if I’d be wasting everyone’s time.
I don’t know. The PP at Tiffany’s is exclusive to them and not the hot, sought after models. My guess is you’ll be fine.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
on that gold rolex the diamond markers work cutely with the cyclops

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sure they have clients that spend more, but we did buy something at each visit. My wife and I are not diva's but have to admit, it is nice being treated like it.

I think the SA now views us as a reliable sale: if we bother to make an appt., odds are we are going to buy something. She does regularly send polite emails and includes photos on newly released items.
I've tried to buy my wife a watch for years but she always declines. Same for jewelry. I sometimes feel badly that I get the fancy stuff and she just doesn't find it appealing. She'd rather put money into our home. She's been looking at the Apple watch recently so I'll get her that for Mother's day.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tried to buy my wife a watch for years but she always declines. Same for jewelry. I sometimes feel badly that I get the fancy stuff and she just doesn't find it appealing. She'd rather put money into our home. She's been looking at the Apple watch recently so I'll get her that for Mother's day.
She wants what she wants. My wife is the same way; very practical. I suppose we balance one another out.

I’ll stop before this turns into a “Lothar of the Hill People” skit from SNL.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope, just got off the phone with an AD who says 2020 and now 2021 have been there best years so far. They've been in business since the mid-90's
I'm guessing that for many folks the discretionary income that ordinarily would have gone toward travel and dining out went instead toward luxury goods.
From what I have heard from people in the industry, many of the tier 1 and tier 2 brands are doing extremely well. Most of them are either flat or positive over the past 24 months. Many of the niche brands are down more than 50% year over year and may not survive.

Like many things, there are haves and have nots, and the gap between them widens regularly.

ronscuba

Reaction score
Sounds like a wonderful wife. Maybe add some different straps for her Apple watch. Couples massage/spa treatments at the spa or in your home, good restaurants, delivered flower subscription, pay a chef to come to your home to make dinner, something that fits or feeds her hobbies/interests.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I have heard from people in the industry, many of the tier 1 and tier 2 brands are doing extremely well. Most of them are either flat or positive over the past 24 months. Many of the niche brands are down more than 50% year over year and may not survive.

Like many things, there are haves and have nots, and the gap between them widens regularly.
A lot of people who would have travelled and spent money eating out and the type of splurge/impulse/discretionary spending one does when they go out, didn’t and so they probably found that they could afford a watch they had always wanted. Just a guess.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How often do you get a haircut?

• Every 2 weeks

• Every 3 weeks

• Once a month

• Every 6 weeks or longer

Results are only viewable after voting.