• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't try to talk you out of an oysterquartz. I think they're super cool.

Beyond that, isn't your post a line-for-line rehash of a discussion on this thread from 50 or 100 pages ago?

Yes it is. Prompted by that C24 find. In the meantime I've been investigating more contemporary modernist watches, but now maybe I've come full circle. I'm dithering between this and placing an order with a local design studio.

chrfi

Reaction score
Now it's probably the right time to post this one...

2ZSL9tI.jpg

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Warning: controversial musings.

The Oysterquartz was the last real Rolex

Why? It was the company's last--and quite successful--attempt at making the highest possible quality, most functional timekeeping device. This approach was their USP until they became a maker of status symbols. Once they stopped developing their quartz movements (several excellent prototypes were made that surpassed the standard 5035/5055 but never made it into production) Rolex effectively became a jewellery company, not a watchmaker.

Change my mind, as they say.

(Full disclosure: I'm eyeing an Oysterquartz from my birthyear on C24. I'm very open to be talked out of this.)

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Ranjeev

Reaction score
I've been watching the Daytona prices. I've wanted one for ages but couldn't bring myself to spend so much over retail but if prices keep coming down a bit I might just bite the bullet. I don't see them getting back to retail but think they might come down a couple grand.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been watching the Daytona prices. I've wanted one for ages but couldn't bring myself to spend so much over retail but if prices keep coming down a bit I might just bite the bullet. I don't see them getting back to retail but think they might come down a couple grand.

Not Daytona, but I'm watching pretty much all the other stainless prices (seeing as I own none) and waiting for one to become to good to pass up. Would be a dream to get a batman around 10k

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's the last "real" Rolex, but I sure do like the OQ.

3959F2D1-D1FD-4B57-9198-35236D034156.jpeg

There's certainly a lot to appreciate about the watch, both in design and execution. It's a favourite on the wrist for sure, and the wide bracelet makes it wear bigger than any other 36 mm Datejust.

It's an uncommon watch with a top-grade movement and it's getting harder to find in good condition, so if someone's into the look — which I personally think is brilliant — I can't see any reason not to go for it.

Last edited:

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Warning: controversial musings.

The Oysterquartz was the last real Rolex

Why? It was the company's last--and quite successful--attempt at making the highest possible quality, most functional timekeeping device. This approach was their USP until they became a maker of status symbols. Once they stopped developing their quartz movements (several excellent prototypes were made that surpassed the standard 5035/5055 but never made it into production) Rolex effectively became a jewellery company, not a watchmaker.

Change my mind, as they say.

(Full disclosure: I'm eyeing an Oysterquartz from my birthyear on C24. I'm very open to be talked out of this.)
Disagree. I think its fair to say that, at that time, Rolex evolved their business model from producing the best 'Tool watches' to something else, but they certainly remain a watchmaker.

By your definition, George Daniels wouldn't be a watchmaker because he was busy creating the Coaxial escapement rather than pursuing quartz technology, which I think we all know is insane. Contemporaries like Roger Smith, Dufor, Naoya Hida, Hajime Asaoka etc wouldn't be watchmakers either.

Watchmaking as a whole evolved, doesn't mean that the older way of doing things ceases being valid.

Last edited:

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Disagree. I think its fair to say that, at that time, Rolex evolved their business model from producing the best 'Tool watches' to something else, but they certainly remain a watchmaker.

By your definition, George Daniels wouldn't be a watchmaker because he was busy creating the Coaxial escapement rather than pursuing quartz technology, which I think we all know is insane. Contemporaries like Roger Smith, Dufor, Naoya Hida, Hajime Asaoka etc wouldn't be watchmakers either.

Watchmaking as a whole evolved, doesn't mean that the older way of doing things ceases being valid.

Is someone who makes medieval-type knight armour, albeit with innovative metalworking techniques, a maker of body armour? No. Body armour is made of kevlar these days. Is a maker of ballistas a maker of artillery? No. Such artisans are creators of objets d'art, curiosities, etc.

Last edited:

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is someone who makes medieval-type knight armour, albeit with innovative metalworking techniques, a maker of body armour? No. Body armour is made of kevlar these days. Is a maker of ballistas a maker of artillery? No. Such artisans are creators of objets d'art, curiosities, etc.
Thats hundreds of years of technology and changing society between them, not 40-50 years.
A more appropriate analogy would be - is John Lobb no longer a shoemaker simply because Nike has more advanced technology in their shoes and the real, technical innovation has long since moved beyond a goodyear welt? Or is Moncler no longer a winter coat maker just because synthetic materials like thinsulate and Goretex have improved beyond down-filled jackets?

They're not technical leaders or innovators any longer but they still make shoes and jackets, not just wearable objets d'art.

Last edited:

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats hundreds of years of technology and changing society between them, not 40-50 years.
A more appropriate analogy would be - is John Lobb no longer a shoemaker simply because Nike has more advanced technology in their shoes and the real, technical innovation has long since moved beyond a goodyear welt? Or is Moncler no longer a winter coat maker just because synthetic materials like thinsulate and Goretex have improved beyond down-filled jackets?

They're not technical leaders or innovators any longer but they still make shoes and jackets, not just wearable objets d'art.

But conventions haven't shifted enough to make leather-soled shoes obsolete. Or Nike hasn't decided to produce dress shoes. Either way, I think the analogy with watches and body armour breaks down. I'm not sure about down jackets -- maybe they are retro garments by now. But a Moncler jacket is too pedestrian an item to count as an objet d'art, I'd say.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with a Canadian dealer. I was quoted prices lower than they are selling for used now with a wait time of 3 - 8 months depending on how COVID impacts things and that's with fairly high Canadian sales tax factored in. I will definitely wait a few months and get a brand new watch along with the full FPJ experience instead of buying used and arbitrarily paying more.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given the price difference between the OQ and an equivalently accurate, reliable, robust Citizen Eco-Drive (whose technology is more advanced, too), wouldn't then the OQ also be jewelry/art/a curiosity, or at least closer to the mechanical models your framework rejects for the same?

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with a Canadian dealer. I was quoted prices lower than they are selling for used now with a wait time of 3 - 8 months depending on how COVID impacts things and that's with fairly high Canadian sales tax factored in. I will definitely wait a few months and get a brand new watch along with the full FPJ experience instead of buying used and arbitrarily paying more.

Maybe they're going to start telling people shorter wait times to increase interest, so when they need buyers a month from now people are amped up and will jump with less hesitation on the even shorter wait. If buyers know significantly shorter, or no wait at all, are coming they're less likely to pay anything above msrp etc

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IuliaBartcovschi